Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all. The bike is an '03 and a tag bulb last about 150-200 miles. Man, this is getting old.

Is this a common issue? Is there such a thing as a severe duty bulb as maybe it's vibration killing it?

I'm not really fond of LEDs, but I'll go there if I have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Long lasting bulbs

Title pretty much says it all. The bike is an '03 and a tag bulb last about 150-200 miles. Man, this is getting old.

Is this a common issue? Is there such a thing as a severe duty bulb as maybe it's vibration killing it?

I'm not really fond of LEDs, but I'll go there if I have to. Thanks.
Try some grease on the base, and terminals. I used to have my trailer lights go out all the time. I put some bearing grease on them, and never had to replace one yet.
BTW: Same with headlight bulbs. Only, I use dielectric grease on them. (Make sure you clean the glass with alcohol, and don't touch the glass.)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Use a "long life" bulb. Ask at the auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
light, what light? >:)

Dave

.....in seriousness, if you need a licence plate light, some options are to cut and epoxy a little clear window in the bottom of the stock lens (after the plate is relocated like shown).....another option is the LED light bolts available everywhere.

On Edit; did I dream it or was it your bike that had the fender swap and some sort of custom plate mount?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I've got a DR fender out back with the tag and light under the fender. I WISH I could run a clear strip like you mentioned.

Toney, that's a great idea. If only the auto parts stores around here sold something worth buying. If they can't type it in the computer they don't have a clue.

I'll try the grease for now. It oughta be greased anyway, and maybe it'll absorb some shock that might be the culprit.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
909 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I added this https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/speedmetal-led-license-plate-frame to my wife's bike. It has yellow LED turns, red running, red brake and white license plate LED's. Works great. Highly visible. Only complaint is that I had to bend the license plate for the wires to clear but the frame covers the bent area and it takes some time to wire up. I hate depending on only one bulb. If it blows you're in the dark. There's no such thing as to many lights.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has an 1156 base. Single element, so no stepped notches like a 1157 would have. But the housing is not tall enough to hold a standard 1156 tail light bulb like autos use. Short little stumpy thing that's hard to find, it seems.

Actually, I hate hard to find bulbs for the same reason I don't care for LED's: on the fly replacements are not easy. I think I'll look in to fitting a bigger lens so I can house a standard 1156 bulb. Every gas station in America sells those...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts