Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Tailbag security

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  beel 
#1 ·
Hi all
I recently bought a Kawasaki tailbag to put on my KLR650. I'm very happy with the bag - it's easy to attach to the bike, and has plenty of space for storing luggage. The downside with easy attachment is that it only takes a few seconds to detach - velcro and clips. Recently I had my number plates and rego sticker go missing (possibly pinched). I really don't want to take any chances with a couple of hundred dollars worth of tailbag. Anyone got any suggestions on how to secure it so it is more of a challenge for an opportunist thief to take off with.
Thanks

#2 ·
Short of getting a more secure box, or a pit bull as a passenger, there's not much that can be done with what you have unless you make some modifications..

Here's my top box.. Pelican case, directly mounted to the bike and double nutted.. And there's always a combination lock in the box in case it's needed..

As Metalbender mentioned, KLR's are plate eaters.. Notice mine is crunched, and I've mounted it in the uppper position. Plate relocation is a standard item if you carry any weight or ride on bumpy roads, let alone off road...

#3 ·
I'll contact a mate of mine and either look at the drilling a plate (as Metal Bender suggested) or perhaps even using those lock ties. Thanks for the ideas.
BTW I had a phone call from the bike shop - someone handed in my rego plate - it seems it must have come loose and fallen off rather than being stolen. The boys in the shop mustn't have tightened the bolts hard enough as they came off within the first 300km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.