Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking off the old cowls, disposing of the shattered one, and painting/installing the new one and the freshly painted old one this week. I've never taken off the side cowls and electricity is magic to me. The only part I'm a little nervous about is the getting the turn signals off and back on. Any suggestions, warnings, taunts more than appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Just go for it

blinker follow the wire sould be a plug were it goes in to harness unplug the follow the obviuse.:33a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need to disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do I need to disconnect the battery?
No it's a piece of cake. Nothing tricky about it but at the top of the cowl where the upper fairing sits before you start removing stuff mentally note the location of the metal bushing/spacer. No biggie.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Electricity is just lost electrons trying to find their home. We trick them into working for us by yanking them out of their home and do things like oscillate things in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum (Lights), in the audbible portion(horn), pile up in a magnetic field until at the other end of the field they have a place to go (points closing) and they get in such a hurry they will jump across a gap (spark plug). We use special wires that slow electrons down by creating a type of friction kinda like rubbing your hands together and in the process convert the energy from slowing the electrons to heat. The cool thing is in the end no energy was lost it just changed it's state. Enviromentalism at it's finest.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. And cool breakdown, rick. :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Electricity is just lost electrons trying to find their home. We trick them into working for us by yanking them out of their home and do things like oscillate things in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum (Lights), in the audbible portion(horn), pile up in a magnetic field until at the other end of the field they have a place to go (points closing) and they get in such a hurry they will jump across a gap (spark plug). We use special wires that slow electrons down by creating a type of friction kinda like rubbing your hands together and in the process convert the energy from slowing the electrons to heat. The cool thing is in the end no energy was lost it just changed it's state. Enviromentalism at it's finest.
Yeah........well......... see..........a.................. LJ is kinda short on electrons so those loose ones needing a home are attracted to him. :63a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah........well......... see..........a.................. LJ is kinda short on electrons so those loose ones needing a home are attracted to him. :63a:
That's the damn truth. :35a:

·
Registered
327 Posts
No it's a piece of cake. Nothing tricky about it but at the top of the cowl where the upper fairing sits before you start removing stuff mentally note the location of the metal bushing/spacer. No biggie.
Yep this was the only part that stumped me for a few minuets to recall where it came from and went back to.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had the side plastics off a bunch of times so I know about the spacer. Don't understand it. But I know. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Dan,

Can't wait to see the project done! I am surprised that your bike is not in my garage doing this. If you need any help, I can come down, and drink your beer and race Frankie!

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan,

Can't wait to see the project done! I am surprised that your bike is not in my garage doing this. If you need any help, I can come down, and drink your beer and race Frankie!

MB4
I'm kind of surprised as well. ;)

What's your work schedule? I'd come up this weekend, but got mad commitments. We could do it on Monday if you want...I could cruise up to SR and bring the girls maybe? Karen wants to explore Santa Rosa anyway in prep for the move. Or you can come down here and not sweat as much. :)

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I'm kind of surprised as well. ;)

What's your work schedule? I'd come up this weekend, but got mad commitments. We could do it on Monday if you want...I could cruise up to SR and bring the girls maybe? Karen wants to explore Santa Rosa anyway in prep for the move. Or you can come down here and not sweat as much. :)

Your call. Monday... GOOD... Explore, GOOD... Ride, GOOD. Or, I could come down there, and have your neighbor's bitch at us for working on the bikes... GOOD.

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah yes. The neighbors. :50:

I'll come up your way if you'll have me? We can knock the cowlings out in a few hours and then take a little ride? We might have enough bedliner for some neighborhood pets, too. :62:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts