Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first klr 650 (2009 mdl). I am looking for a great tank bag and lugage for the back. Should I go soft/aluminum/composite. Anygreat websites out there to find what I am looking for? suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went with Happy-Trail and aerostitch website. Loads of threads on this site about luggage. Just search and you will find. I have the Wolfman Expedition soft luggage on my '09, no tank bag however. I like the soft bags so I can take then off real easy. Good luck, and happy riding.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I ran a Wolfman Alpha bag for years, as well as tank panniers and a Kawi tank bag. I now have aluminum bags and I'd never go back to soft bags..

Of course, opinions may vary.. I've always been a hard luggage guy.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I recently purchased my first klr 650 (2009 mdl). I am looking for a great tank bag and lugage for the back. Should I go soft/aluminum/composite. Anygreat websites out there to find what I am looking for? suggestions?

Wolfman tank bags are popular. I have the Explorer Lite it has a harness specifically designed for a KLR.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome to the dark side Piglet!

+1 for the Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag. Also running the Happy-Trail Teton aluminum panniers. So far I'm very pleased with my choices. It's nice to have the security and H2Oproofness of the solid boxes.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
99.9% of the time I can fit anything I need to fit into my trunk, which never leaves my bike. If I'm going on a trip, I slap the soft bags on the back. I think they are Fieldsheer. Nice, lots of reflective stuff. They push me pretty far up on the bike, but I got long legs. So, I guess I'm a soft bag guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Wolfman Lite on my bike (and love it!), but my husband doesn't like any tank bag on his bike because he finds they really impede his ability to stand on the pegs. Personally, I don't stand on the pegs much on my commute to work, so I just leave my tank bag on :28:

I have some really old "Bagman" soft bags that I use if I need a lot of storage but what I've found that works well is to use these http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html as saddle bags and then just use a drybag duffel bag on the rear rack if I need more space. (I have a homemade rack on the back that keeps my soft bags held in place and away from the muffler)

Dan (the hubby) has a set of Happy Trails hard bags, but for whatever reason, he doesn't like them that much. He has stated that he's not going to put hard bags on his 800GS. I think that they're nice, but then again, I bought them for him :character00286: I made sure to get the narrower boxes (7.5" I think?) so that they wouldn't be too unwieldy for him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much!

Holy crud. Sounds like I better experience the bike a bit and take some time before I jump in on something. So many different tastes, likes, dislikes..That is why this forum is so good.
Ride Safe All!
Piglet

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have Wolfeman Rainier Tank Bag with rain cover and Expedition Dry Saddle Bags, and am happy with both. I got the large tank bag to hold my camera equipment. The saddle bags I got because they are waterproof and store flat when not in use. It's all a matter of what works best for you.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Happy Trails Teton-Soft H2O-proof bag across back

I went with HT tetons side panniers, Bought a "SIDE-OPENING" water proof bag from Cabellas that sits sideways resting slightly on the HT cases.
Tank bag from Twisted Throttle:"Bags Connection--The Enduro". I was getting tired of on unzipping my T.T. bag on my V-Strom @ every gas fill. This bag does not cover my gas cap. I like having someplace to lock some things.

Mark

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I have Cycleracks pannier set:

NOTE: I do NOT have the additional set of saddle bags on the tank, as shown in the above image; instead, I have large Happy Trails nerf bags up front.

With a Cyclerack on each bike (KLR250 and KLR650), the luggage is interchangeable.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have, in addition to the Cycleracks pannier ensemble discussed, and the HT nerf bags, a genuine Kawasaki tank bag, a Kawasaki handlebar bag (listed for 2008 and later, but will fit Generation I bikes), a front fender bag (for tube and tire tools), and . . . a Stead Engineering front fork rack. Sometimes, a welding rod holder tool tube hose-clamped to the bash plate.

·
Registered
603 Posts
First off, congrats on owning one of the most dependable motorcycles ever produced, IMHO.
Your luggage is your personality. Are you a commuter only ? camper/traveler ? Are ya gonna live off of your bike or just run errands ? It is very easy to get sucked in to buying things for your bike that you may never use but everyone suggest. So ask yourself what it is you really want out of your bike. I have hard luggage on mine where I sometimes live a couple weeks at a time off of my bike, sometimes up to thirty days. My wife, Kaylr, has soft luggage ( http://revpack.com/motorcycle/products/ExcursionPack.html )because she uses it more for daily commutes.
There are pros and cons to both soft and hard luggage. Whichever you choose will be a good choice because it's what you wanted.

Happy Trails

Mike

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just got my 2010. Before I take possession, I am having the happy trail Givi pannier set, a Givi trunk on it. I am also looking with a longing eye at the nerf bar bags as well as the tank and handlebar bags. I know I like the hard bags. I loved the stock setup on my old K100lt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the Happy-Trail luggage racks and some Seahorse SE-720 cases. They look great and are impossibly rugged, waterproof, dustproof, etc. Oh, and they won't dent or show scratches like a metal case. You will, however, need to set up a custom mounting system. PM me if you need some advice.

Tried to post a pic, but I need 15 posts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts