Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

TDP XI............September 16-18, 2016

4K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  cherokee_chuck 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope everyone is able to stay out of the heat during July/August! It is hard to wait till September gets here each year for Tour de Piscah, but the cooler temps are always very welcoming! If you have never been to Riders R & R and stayed with our friends, Terry and Elizabeth, you are missing out! They have 3 cabins and plenty of space for tent camping and power for an RV! Also, the riding in this area is some of the best.....from mild to wild! I hope to see you guys over in Del Rio!!

Who: Anyone wanting some Dualsport action!
What: Tour de Piscah XI
Where: Rider's R & R in Del Rio, TN (423)972-1137 http://binged.it/1sRL8jT
When: September 16-18 (Early Bird ride on Thursday, 15th)
Why: TDP is the place to be!

ATTENDING..............WHEN...........................STEED............DIGS
cherokee_chuck............Fri (ball/Sat).............KLX650R.............Trailering
shall1973.....................Fri...........................Husky501............Trailering
mdrake.......................Sat................................?......................?
shakeyjake18..............Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting?

TOURS

Leader................Thurs..................Friday.............................Saturday.............................Sunday
cherokee_chuck...............................Hooligan Ride-9:00 (4.0)
mdrake.........................................................................................?

If you don't see your type of riding listed on a day you will be here, don't worry......we will put together a nice group route for you!

I will not be able to ride the Early Bird Ride this year, but there are normally a few Old Retired Farts able to come early enough to lead a ride......so.......make your way on up and someone can show you around!

SUMMARY OF TOURS

Hooligan Ride - With my kids playing ball on Saturday, I only have Friday to ride this year, so I am going to pack in some of the best aggressive riding we got, so if you plan to ride in my group, be prepared for very rocky terrain, steep inclines, and sweet single track!

Let me know if you want to lead a group ride and I can put it on the calendar for you!

Check out the ride report for last year's TDP X

See less See more
#2 ·
Updated............

cherokee_chuck............Fri (ball/Sat).............KLX650R.............Trailering
shall1973.....................Fri...........................Husky501............Trailering
mdrake.......................Sat................................?......................?
shakeyjake18..............Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting
tube8520....................Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting
johnboync...................Thur(pm)-Sun............DRZ400..............tenting

TOURS

Leader................Thurs..................Friday.............................Saturday.............................Sunday
cherokee_chuck...............................Hooligan Ride-9:00 (4.0)
mdrake.........................................................................................?

If you don't see your type of riding listed on a day you will be here, don't worry......we will put together a nice group route for you!

I will not be able to ride the Early Bird Ride this year, but there are normally a few Old Retired Farts able to come early enough to lead a ride......so.......make your way on up and someone can show you around!

SUMMARY OF TOURS

Hooligan Ride - With my kids playing ball on Saturday, I only have Friday to ride this year, so I am going to pack in some of the best aggressive riding we got, so if you plan to ride in my group, be prepared for very rocky terrain, steep inclines, and sweet single track!

Let me know if you want to lead a group ride and I can put it on the calendar for you!

#3 ·
My kids are playing a different sport this fall, so looks like I can come for the whole weekend!!

cherokee_chuck............Fri-Sun...................KLX650R/KLR719.....Tent Suburban
shakeyjake18..............Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting
tube8520....................Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting

TOURS

cherokee_chuck...............................Hooligan Ride-9:00 (3.5).........Ridgewood Run-9:00 (2.0)........Scouting-9:00 (?.?)I]

SUMMARY OF TOURS

Hooligan Ride - The Hooligan ride is such a great time to test your aggressive off-road abilities. Before I rebuilt/painted my KLR (Barbie/Barb), I would take her through these Hooligan rides. Now, I use the KLX (Ken) to do most of the stuff greater than a 3.0. We will have a great day of aggressive riding on some of the coolest double track! Optional 4.0 route if time allows!

Ridgewood Run - This route is one of my favorites, but this year I am adding one of the best things about riding bikes.......eating BBQ! My favorite BBQ is at Ridgewood BBQ! We will make our way along wonderful twisty pavement and grab us an early lunch...before the crowds get there. Afterwards, we head into the mountains again for some FS roads/excellent scenery and finish the day off with even more twisties!

Scouting - I have been using Sundays as a great day to try and find new areas/trails to ride. If you can stay over for a few hours of riding before heading home, give it a try!

#4 · (Edited)
OK.....we got less than 3 weeks till we ride the great TDP! If you are thinking of coming, let it be known.....our hosts are planning the meals they want to cook for us.

cherokee_chuck............Fri-Sun...................KLX650R/KLR719.....Tent Suburban
shakeyjake18..............Fri(pm)-Sun..............KLR650...............tenting
tube8520....................Fri(pm)-Sun..............KLR650...............tenting
Stewbo.......................Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting
yotaman423.................Fri(pm)-Sun..........DRZ400/KLR650.......Tent Yota
friend of "....................Sat................................?...............commute

TOURS

cherokee_chuck...............................Hooligan Ride-9:00 (3.5).........Ridgewood Run-9:00 (2.0)........Scouting-9:00 (?.?)I]

SUMMARY OF TOURS

Hooligan Ride - The Hooligan ride is such a great time to test your aggressive off-road abilities. Before I rebuilt/painted my KLR (Barbie/Barb), I would take her through these Hooligan rides. Now, I use the KLX (Ken) to do most of the stuff greater than a 3.0. We will have a great day of aggressive riding on some of the coolest double track! Optional 4.0 route if time allows!

Ridgewood Run - This route is one of my favorites, but this year I am adding one of the best things about riding bikes.......eating BBQ! My favorite BBQ is at Ridgewood BBQ! We will make our way along wonderful twisty pavement and grab us an early lunch...before the crowds get there. Afterwards, we head into the mountains again for some FS roads/excellent scenery and finish the day off with even more twisties!

Scouting - I have been using Sundays as a great day to try and find new areas/trails to ride. If you can stay over for a few hours of riding before heading home, give it a try!

#5 ·
Only 1.5 weeks away.................

tube8520....................Fri(pm)-Sun..............KLR650...............tenting
Stewbo.......................Thur(pm)-Sun............KLR650...............tenting
friend of "....................Sat................................?...............commute
Hurricane & Sarah.........?-?..........................KLR650................tenting
KentuckyKLR..............Thur(pm)-Sun........Adv990/Husky450.....Bear Burrito
Dougiefresh................Fri(pm)-Sun................KLR650.............tenting
Ridir Frith..................Thur(pm)-Fri................DR650................tenting
Catman.........................Sat?........................KLR650?.............commute?

TOURS

SUMMARY OF TOURS

#6 · (Edited)
Tours Updated!!

With many people coming in on Friday evening and only having maybe Saturday as a full day of riding, I am going to rearrange my Friday and Saturday schedule so we can get in the great local riding on that Saturday.......called 'Progressive Ride'! If I have enough people wanting to go get BBQ on Friday, that's what we will do! Sunday will be designated as the Hooligan Ride!

cherokee_chuck............Fri-Sun................KLX650R/KLR719.......Tent Suburban
friend of "....................Sat................................?.................commute
Hurricane & Sarah.........Wed-Sun..........................DR650/XT225...............Toyhauler
KentuckyKLR..............Thur(pm)-Sun........Adv990/Husky450.....Bear Burrito
Dougiefresh................Fri(pm)-Sun................KLR650.............tenting
Ridir Frith..................Thur(pm)-Fri................DR650................tenting
Catman.........................Sat?........................KLR650?.............commute?
jagger_snitt...............Thur(pm)-Sun..............KLR650...............tent
weston420.....................Fri?-Sun.................GS800.................tent
skhumba23.......................?-?......................KLR650................tent
pvaneerten.......................?-?......................KLR650................tent

TOURS

cherokee_chuck.............................Ridgewood Run-9:00 (2.0)......Progressive Ride-9:00 (2-3.0)........Hooligan Ride(4.0)

SUMMARY OF TOURS

Progressive Ride - This will be a great day to check out the local riding! We will start off mild, but as the day goes on we will be getting more aggressive. We will not ride anything like what is in the Hooligan Ride on Sunday, but by the end of the day, you would have had an opportunity to ride some great trails and see some nice sights!

#9 ·
TDT XI was a great event! As Elizabeth said......'It's wonderful to see family each year!" There were 20 of us that either came for a day.....came for the weekend....stopped by and introduced themselves, before being convince to ride with us.....or camped with the group to just hang out even with a bum foot! The weather worked out very well for us.......though, a little rain before we came would have helped with the dust. I thank Terry and Elizabeth for being great hosts! As you will see in the pics, they take great care of us! Also, I hope Peter gets better from his illness and Mike's foot heals well. Sorry to miss Steve, but very glad he got to hop over for a visit.......and check off another TDP!

I took a few pics........so hope you guys enjoy!

Friday

Weston and I actually trailered up very late Thursday night.....but were met around 1am by Spencer and James! The next day, 6 of us take off for BBQ and the legendary Ridgewood BBQ! Afterwards, we do some Adventure riding back to camp, bouncing over the Appalachian Trail multiple times! Chicken Alfredo for supper..........YUM!

#12 ·
Saturday

I brought both bikes, so I was able to convince Terry that he needed to ride with us on the Progressive Ride. We started out with great twisties...... then on to some mild dirt.....then a little more rugged riding.......then a visit at Buzzard's Roost.......then after a few riders head back to camp, the rest of us tackle Hurricane Creek (nearly back to normal).......then a late lunch.......then off to hidden paradise, before heading back to some great BBQ cooked by Elizabeth!!! Near the end of the day, I somehow busted my oil sight glass and had oil leaving my engine! It must only need a little to run, because there doesn't seem to be any issues............

Great to meet Scott on this trip......he lives just down the road from R & R. Hope to see you at a few more events!

#18 · (Edited)
Sunday

Well........always sad to have to leave......but hey.....let's ride a little more! We decided not to tackle the really hard stuff today, but instead go check out some of the local great views! We got back in time to eat some leftover Chicken Alfredo, and relax before heading for home.

#19 ·

Thanks again to everyone that made their way out! Also a shout out to Jerry Attick that had to work over the weekend........those days are numbered, huh? And of course, thanks to our great hosts, Terry and Elizabeth for giving us Rider's R & R to enjoy each other's company and fixing those wonderful breakfasts and dinners! Gotta loose those pounds I put on............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.