Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty fun! My wife decided she wants to learn to ride, so we begin looking for a bike she can ride. Since she is only 5 foot nothing, it's gotta be small. Then I remembered that her older brother had a bike, and it's sitting in a shed in MO.

Well, long story short, we got the bike here to Colorado, and it's in better shape than I thought. It's a 1978 Yamaha DT100 Enduro- a tiny little two-stroke steet legal Dual Sport. It's perfect- she can flat foot it, and pick it up!

I've been working on it- it hadn't been started since 1983! carb rebuild, points, tires, chain, etc... It runs great now. Perfect for learning- soft low end power, geared low, lightweight.

Today we went to a parking lot and spent about an hour and a half learning. She is HOOKED! I had to come to work, but she didn't want to quit. We're off together on Tuesday, so we'll do more. Today, she got up to third gear, learned about braking, practiced figure 8's . She's picking it up quick.

Check out this video!-

http://media.putfile.com/Faster-27

·
Registered
603 Posts
congrats.Sounds like things are headed in the right direction with safety in mind.Thumbs up Hayduke!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Safety First! She WILL be taking the MSF course in the spring. But a friend of hers (another newb girl, who took the course) felt like it would be best to have at least some knowledge of how things work before the course. Less intimidating that way. Now that it is Nov., though, and with weather and no MSF courses nearby, she'll probably have it dialed before she takes the course. ;)

We started out just learning clutch and brake control, then slowly adding other elements. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Congrats Tami and Hayduke.Let the good times roll :h0064

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tami! Congrats, kiddo!

Laurie will come ride something tame with us sometime, I'm sure. I'll show her how to throw her bike off the trail and down the mountain... You can show her how NOT to do that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Yesterday was really fun! I took Tami out to practice on some dirt, and she did great. She rode some loose rocky stuff and she started standing on the pegs when it got really rough. Remember, this is her third time on a motorcycle! She did so good, that we decided to practice around the block. She did that for awhile, so we rode out of town on some county roads- both paved and dirt, and a loop of about 25miles! She got up to about 48 mph, (which is about top speed on this little bike).

Here are a couple of pics-

Determination-

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow,must really be a pain :r001 to learn to ride a bike in all that terrible scenery :lol: Bye the way,nice riding gear Tami.ATGATT.Really glad to have another riding couple around.Let the adventures begin!!!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
klrmike said:
Wow,must really be a pain :r001 to learn to ride a bike in all that terrible scenery :lol: Bye the way,nice riding gear Tami.ATGATT.Really glad to have another riding couple around.Let the adventures begin!!!!!!!!!

Mike
It is really distracting. :lol:

We rode a little today, too. About 75 degrees and sunny. Is this really November?

ATGATT!

·
Registered
145 Posts
That bike looks pretty normal with her on it, till it is next to the KLR...BTW I am not making fun of her size, she's taller than my wife :smile: , and I am 6'3...Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hayduke, congrats to you and the Mrs. on the excellent learning to ride project! I have this theory that these days people (even tall people ;) ) are taught to ride on bikes that are too big and by too big I'm 250cc or bigger. I think it's much better to start out on a bike that is not going to be a handful to pick up or push around or seem intimidating to those with zero riding experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vintagemxr said:
Hayduke, congrats to you and the Mrs. on the excellent learning to ride project! I have this theory that these days people (even tall people ;) ) are taught to ride on bikes that are too big and by too big I'm 250cc or bigger. I think it's much better to start out on a bike that is not going to be a handful to pick up or push around or seem intimidating to those with zero riding experience.
I agree completely. But for 5'0" people, it's hard to find something that is not intimidating, but is still street legal.

My next search is for a larger countershaft sprocket for this bike. It's geared so low, that she is taking off in second now so she doesn't have to upshift within 10 ft. It seems to have enough power to pull a little higher ratio, and it wouldn't be screaming at 45 mph. She doesn't need to go much faster, but it would be nice if it was a little more leisurely for the bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hayduke,you might try OldBikeBarn.com.They claim to have every part for Japanese bikes thru 1960-1990

Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't believe how good Tami is doing, especially in the dirt. I'm grooming her to ride the same rocky loose crap that I like to ride. :mrgreen:

Today we did some drills in a parking lot, then headed up "Methodist Mountian" to the powerline road for some dirt practice. This road gets real ugly in a few places, with steep hills for a beginner and loose rocks. She's doing great standing up on the pegs and picking lines. Only got alittle out of control once, when she lost traction on a steep climb, got too far back, and held on to the throttle making her take off. Our drills with the clutch worked, though, when she instictively pulled in the clutch and got the bike stopped. Really cool that we're working on dirt technique already. I wouldn't have ridden these roads on my 6th or 7th day on a bike (or maybe I did, I was only like 5 years old).

some pics from today=

loose downhill-

Steep uphill-

·
Registered
21 Posts
She is looking GOOD on that bike. I hope the good weather keeps up, we may get to Phantom Canon yet this year.

Nick

·
Registered
603 Posts
:c00272 Ain't it fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's great Hayduke! Having a significant other that rides is so special, it really brings the two of you together in a way that little else can.

I hope this isn't a hijack but your post brought to mind a post I put up on FZ1OA a couple years ago:

My girlfriend Meredith has been interested in motorcycling for a while but never really went past the point of riding as anything but a passenger. And since I hate having a passenger, that wasn't working too well for me. I started asking her a few months ago if she wanted to learn to ride and she seemed pretty excited about the idea. I was excited, too, since I would love to have a significant other that is a rider.

So, I bought her a used Shoei helmet off E-Bay and a new Gericke jacket from the Iron Pony Closeout, and found a decent 1992 Ninja 250 in Louisville for a thousand bucks. She got her temporary permit and I picked the 250 up about a month ago.

She was thrilled when I brought the Ninja home. She knew that I was getting it but I think actually seeing it in front of her was a shock. She took to it immediately and she began riding that night by starting out in the alley behind my house doing clutch work, and then moving to an empty parking lot and doing laps, starts, stops, and turns for about 3 hours while I pivoted around in the middle of the lot watching her and yelling suggestions to her. The grin coming from under her helmet every time she roared by me was dazzling and I could tell she loved it.

Within a couple of days she felt comfortable enough to try riding on some quiet residential streets by herself. The first day she was riding, I was working so I couldn't ride with her. I followed her for a few blocks in the patrol car and then thought that I was probably making her nervous so I backed off and tried to anticipate where she would go so I could see her every few minutes and make sure she was okay without seeming too needy. She rode for several hours that night and then rode for several more the next few days, putting about 100 miles on the motorcycle just in town.

Within a few more days, she felt comfortable enough to go on a morning ride with me. I led, trying to find roads that had a mix of little traffic, few curves, minimal gravel / pavement seams / tar snakes; and trying to watch my speed. She kept up like a champ and I was enjoying watching her get ever so gradually more aggressive and lean the bike over in turns a little farther and then a little farther. I must confess, though, that I spent most of the ride nervously watching my mirrors for her and every so often had my heart jump into my throat as I worried if she would be able to negotiate a treacherous portion of asphalt that I had just passed over.

That morning ride led to several more morning rides, each one getting longer and longer until we were doing 200 mile rides with no problem. Watching her unabashed joy at learning to ride made me remember the pleasure of just riding a motorcycle to be in the fresh air and to take the road less traveled. There was no need to go a million miles an hour or take each corner by scraping my pegs; I could just cruise and know that she was behind me reveling in the simple wonder of learning the motorcycle and learning herself.

Our morning rides led to the best and longest ride so far, a two day camping trip into West Virginia, to the New River Gorge. We left Wednesday morning and rode through southeast Ohio and into West Virginia, crossing the Ohio River near New Matamoras. WV 16 took us south right to the New River and we had a great night of swimming, exploring, and camping. The next morning we rode northwest via WV 60 and passed through Charleston before hooking north toward home. The ride itself is worthy of an entire post; but this is about her. She did over 750 miles in less than two days on the 250 and had a great time exploring the mountain roads of West Virginia.

I'm really excited to have a significant other who wants to ride. I was a little worried at first that she was just telling me what she thought I wanted to hear, but it is obvious now that she is loving motorcycling. She rides everywhere, and takes the bike regardless of weather conditions. She is dreaming about buying her own motorcycle. She is reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and has signed up for the MSF class. ?Rider? and ?Motorcyclist? have replaced ?Cosmo? and ?Vogue? on the back of my toilet. I've walked in on her having conversations with her friends and family on the phone, and the talk invariably is centered around motorcycling. She still has to comb her hair and check her makeup when she takes off her helmet at gas stops, but I guess if she didn?t she wouldn?t be much of a girl, eh?

I?m having as much of a blast as she is, and am finding out completely new things about her. Some of the best conversations I?ve had with her in a while have been over early morning coffee after doing fifty miles. I?m hoping for many more miles, many more roads, and many more rides with her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice addition, Meefzah! Tami is loving it, and I can tell she's gonna outgrow this little 100 real quick. It was worth getting it running, though. And to think, 4 years ago, when I got back in to riding, she wanted nohing to do with it. Now we ride everywhere, and she has her own bike....

·
Registered
280 Posts
glad to see she is lovin it ! I've had the wife on my sons KE 100, which from the looks of it is the same size as the yami, love that 2 stroke zing ! Viv is a bit heavier than tami though, so she gets a TW 200 for a
Christmas present that she has no clue she is getting !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts