Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Purchased the Tengai Fairings from the UK being that it was the ONLY set I've ever seen for sale, and they were not in the best of condition. I also had NO IDEA what I was looking at or how they properly attach. So, when they arrived and were missing some of the attachment points, I was a tad concerned.

For those (Like me) who don't know. There is a "main" attachment on the top of the fuel tank (6mm x 14 with nylon nut), two on the front of the fuel tank (plastic posts into rubber grommets), one on the radiator/coolant bottle (plastic ring on a rubber grommet with a 6mm screw), and three that attach the front fairing/ wind visor (two 5mm clip nuts, two 5mm x 16 screws with nylon washers, and one 5mm x 14 screw with nylon washer and a plastic windshield nut.

Whew... Well since mine were missing all of the plastic posts and ring for rubber mounting, I had to make my own. Someone had already drilled some holes in the side, so after doing some crack stop drilling and JB weld reinforcement, I made my own posts.

The top post is a 6mm Screw that is about 1 1/4 inches long with rubber washer on the outside, a 1/2 inch nylon post with fender washers and a nylock lock nut to hold it all together.

The bottom one is similar with a 1 3/4 inch screw, with a 7/8 inch nylon spacer post.

I'll be working on the Round mount to the radiator another day.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is messed up too. Huge panel gaps and it's vibrating way too much. The screws don't even match. The screw on the bottom of the fairing is more than 5cm long, it almost touches the radiator. The right fairing where it mounts to the top of the tank has the recess taken out. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Do you know if any of the mounts originally have rubber washers/dampers? Or just nylon washers?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, yes. There is the top tank mount which I just used a large headed Phillips.
I swapped around the two side mounts with her bolts of different lengths, but same set up (nylon spacer and two fender washers "sandwiching" the rubber mount.

The coolant reservoir and radiator mounts are very similar. I just cut up and bent an aluminum sign, punched a large hole and inserted a large rubber mount to decrease vibration.

Then the front screws have a "clip nut" on the back that you screw into. Very fabricated, but I don't know what the original system looked like. I'm assuming just a rubber grommet with some plastic pins that the popped into, but all of that was gone when I got these.

Haven't even bothered to paint. Just ride, ride, ride! Great bike

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh wow, I am definitely missing a lot of those rubber mounts. The previous owner used wood screws to hold the fairings together. There are lots of extra holes and silicone caulk. Makes me wanna cry. But for the most part, the fairings are in good shape, no massive cracks or anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow, I am definitely missing a lot of those rubber mounts. The previous owner used wood screws to hold the fairings together. There are lots of extra holes and silicone caulk. Makes me wanna cry. But for the most part, the fairings are in good shape, no massive cracks or anything. View attachment 29990
Uoof... yes, good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Oh wow, I am definitely missing a lot of those rubber mounts.
I'm certain that this company makes replacement side panel pins for the Gen 1 'A' bikes that might be used on Tengai also?

I found this cool website which has the diagram of the fairings and the part numbers too.
I prefer this site for their 'Diagrams' of unfamiliar brands or models that I don't have service manuals for.
And I REALLY like the parts search function at the bottom of the pages.

Reactions: KA9

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm certain that this company makes replacement side panel pins for the Gen 1 'A' bikes that might be used on Tengai also?

I prefer this site for their 'Diagrams' of unfamiliar brands or models that I don't have service manuals for.
Very cool+
Those might do it! Only that those are 3d printed and may not be very heat resistant. (Pla is printed at 200 degrees f and is "mushy" at 150..

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Tengai is missing one attachment post which causes buzzing from time to time. My plan for that attachment point is to try velcro. We'll see if it's feasible and if it works.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Very cool+
Those might do it! Only that those are 3d printed and may not be very heat resistant. (Pla is printed at 200 degrees f and is "mushy" at 150..
I'll suggest that you should confer with the guy at 3Dcycle parts. He is a very active on FB. I think his handle on here is @2combs.
I wish he was more active over here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a way better website. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "ironranger88, publicació: 696465, membre: 73575"]
Vaig comprar els carenats Tengai del Regne Unit, ja que era l'únic conjunt que he vist mai a la venda i no es trobaven en el millor estat. Tampoc tenia IDEA del que estava mirant o de com s’adhereixen adequadament. Per tant, quan van arribar i es trobaven a faltar alguns dels punts d’adhesió, em va preocupar una mica.

For those (Like me) who don't know. There is a "main" attachment on the top of the fuel tank (6mm x 14 with nylon nut), two on the front of the fuel tank (plastic posts into rubber grommets), one on the radiator/coolant bottle (plastic ring on a rubber grommet with a 6mm screw), and three that attach the front fairing/ wind visor (two 5mm clip nuts, two 5mm x 16 screws with nylon washers, and one 5mm x 14 screw with nylon washer and a plastic windshield nut.

Vaja ... Donat que a la meva faltaven tots els pals i anells de plàstic per al muntatge de goma, vaig haver de fer-ne els meus. Algú ja havia perforat alguns forats al lateral, de manera que després de fer algunes perforacions per deixar de perforar i reforçar la soldadura JB, vaig fer els meus propis posts.

El pal superior és un cargol de 6 mm que fa aproximadament 1 1/4 de polzada de llarg amb una arandela de goma a la part exterior, un pal de niló de 1/2 polzada amb arandelles de parafangs i una femella de bloqueig de nylock per mantenir-ho tot junt.

El inferior és similar amb un cargol de 1 3/4 polzada, amb un pal distanciant de niló de 7/8 polzades.

Un altre dia treballat a la muntura rodona del radiador.

Espero que això ajudi algú en el futur.
[/ CITA]
Hola
Jo he fijado con fibra de vidrio ángulos metálicos en el carenado, así no tenia que hacer agujeros en el plástico.
I Purchased the Tengai Fairings from the UK being that it was the ONLY set I've ever seen for sale, and they were not in the best of condition. I also had NO IDEA what I was looking at or how they properly attach. So, when they arrived and were missing some of the attachment points, I was a tad concerned.

Whew... Well since mine were missing all of the plastic posts and ring for rubber mounting, I had to make my own. Someone had already drilled some holes in the side, so after doing some crack stop drilling and JB weld reinforcement, I made my own posts.

El pal superior és un cargol de 6 mm que fa aproximadament 1 1/4 de polzada de llarg amb una arandela de goma a la part exterior, un pal de niló de 1/2 polzada amb arandelles de parafangs i una femella de bloqueig de nylock per mantenir-ho tot junt.

El inferior és similar amb un cargol de 1 3/4 polzada, amb un pal distanciant de niló de 7/8 polzades.

Un altre dia treballaré a la muntura rodona del radiador.

Espero que això ajudi algú en el futur.
[/ CITA]
Hola

Al carenat he fixat angles metàl·lics amb fibra de vidre, de manera que no he hagut de fer forats al plàstic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts