Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any Tengai owners out there ever try to rebuild the front caliper? The Tengai has a dual piston front caliper, unlike the KLR650 which has a single piston. Here is a photo of mine which badly needed a rebuild which I was able to accomplish just by cleaning all of the existing parts and reinstalling. I would have liked to had a complete rebuild kit but could only find the parts for one half of the caliper as the second piston is of a smaller size and seals don't seem to be available. Anyone been able to source a rebuild kit for the complete caliper?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any Tengai owners out there ever try to rebuild the front caliper? The Tengai has a dual piston front caliper, unlike the KLR650 which has a single piston. Here is a photo of mine which badly needed a rebuild which I was able to accomplish just by cleaning all of the existing parts and reinstalling. I would have liked to had a complete rebuild kit but could only find the parts for one half of the caliper as the second piston is of a smaller size and seals don't seem to be available. Anyone been able to source a rebuild kit for the complete caliper?
I am trying to find info on how to dissemble the caliper so I can change the brake pads...how do I get the pads out?
I can't find anyone who has posted videos on this...
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front Brakes

I am trying to find info on how to dissemble the caliper so I can change the brake pads...how do I get the pads out?
I can't find anyone who has posted videos on this...
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Slofiend, I have a maintenance manual which makes everything much easier. Several are available on E-bay.
Per the manual:
1) Remove the disk cover.
2) Remove the caliper from the disc, and take out the piston side pad from the caliper holder.
3) Push the caliper holder toward the piston and then remove the pad from the caliper holder shafts (two).

I use a c-clamp to compress the pistons back into the housing making it easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slofiend, I have a maintenance manual which makes everything much easier. Several are available on E-bay.
Per the manual:
1) Remove the disk cover.
2) Remove the caliper from the disc, and take out the piston side pad from the caliper holder.
3) Push the caliper holder toward the piston and then remove the pad from the caliper holder shafts (two).

I use a c-clamp to compress the pistons back into the housing making it easier.
Hmm...interesting.
Okay thanks.
I found a maintenance manual on eBay I am just waiting on confirmation from the seller it is for the Tengai, if so I will pick it up as the Clymer manual is not specific for the Tenagi and the differences are killing me ha!
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The maintenance manual I have is a factory manual and it says Tengai on the cover there were about a dozen listed when I got mine.
If you use a c-clamp to compress the pistons make sure they go in straight. If you get one cocked you will ruin the bore and may never get it out. I pressed on the pad to compress the pistons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts