Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
I appreciate information what is the correct/stock size of the jets (main jet/mid jet) and nozzle for the Tengai KLR (KL650)?

I've ordered new set of jets with orings from ebay and after I fited them into carb my bike
was able to reach only 3500rpm. So I decided to come back to the previous one and now
i'ts better but I'm almost sure I mess around with jets. Now bike works better but not like beffore,
i'ts feel weaker, power building not that fast as before.
I had few sets of old jets and didn't mark them when put them aside.

I found some information that main jet 1.45 is ok for sea level for KLR, is that correct?
Sould that work for Tengai, as I see the Tengai needle Jet is different than Jet from the set to KLR 650
I ordered from ebay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Folks,
I appreciate information what is the correct/stock size of the jets (main jet/mid jet) and nozzle for the Tengai KLR (KL650)?

I've ordered new set of jets with orings from ebay and after I fited them into carb my bike
was able to reach only 3500rpm. So I decided to come back to the previous one and now
i'ts better but I'm almost sure I mess around with jets. Now bike works better but not like beffore,
I had few sets of old jets and didn't mark them when put them aside.

I found some information that main jet 1.45 is ok for sea level for KLR, is that correct?
Sould that work for Tengai, as I see the Tengai needle Jet is different than Jet from the set to KLR 650
I ordered from ebay.
The Tengai manual calls for #145 (Swiss models #148).

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
bike
was able to reach only 3500rpm
I mess around with jets. Now bike works better but not like beffore,
I suspect that you may have pinched the rubber diaphragm of the throttle slide, creating a vacuum leak in the upper chamber. Any vacuum leakage there eliminates or at least reduces lifting of the main throttle valve.

They will run great up to about 1/4-1/3 throttle or about half of normal maximum rpm.

Reactions: bigplik

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
USA Gen 1 had 40 pilot, 148 main, jet needle N31R

USA Gen 2 had 40 pilot, 145 main, jet needle N6NJ

IIRC, the main air jet number, needle jet number, pilot air jet number, and starter jet number stayed the same from Gen1 to Gen2.

Remember, the main and needle work together, so you must consider both if you make changes. Don’t just change a Gen2 main jet to a 148 because that’s what was in a Gen1.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
USA Gen 1 had 40 pilot, 148 main, jet needle N31R

USA Gen 2 had 40 pilot, 145 main, jet needle N6NJ

IIRC, the main air jet number, needle jet number, pilot air jet number, and starter jet number stayed the same from Gen1 to Gen2.

Remember, the main and needle work together, so you must consider both if you make changes. Don’t just change a Gen2 main jet to a 148 because that’s what was in a Gen1.
I suspect that you may have pinched the rubber diaphragm of the throttle slide, creating a vacuum leak in the upper chamber. Any vacuum leakage there eliminates or at least reduces lifting of the main throttle valve.

They will run great up to about 1/4-1/3 throttle or about half of normal maximum rpm.
thank you for explanation ;)

and how about nozzle size, is that matter?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
and how about nozzle size, is that matter?
If you are referring to the needle JET (nozzle) above the emulsion tube, you will find that the same size/part number is used on all KLR600's & KLR650's, from 1984 thru 2018.

Save this PartsHouse site to use its "Search Function", OEM Parts Part Search Results

It is VERY USEFUL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

f
If you are referring to the needle JET (nozzle) above the emulsion tube, you will find that the same size/part number is used on all KLR600's & KLR650's, from 1984 thru 2018.

Save this PartsHouse site to use its "Search Function", OEM Parts Part Search Results

It is VERY USEFUL.
wasn't sure for Tengai nozzle size, there is not that much information like for gen1 or gen2

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
It’s a pretty good bet that the info from the same year KLR applies to the Tengai.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts