Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received and started testing a set of Progressive fork springs. This is just part 1 and includes a link to Half throttle who also got a set and did an installation video.
If weather agrees I will begin identical tests of each fork set on the bike tomorrow. Rest easy because the forks are identical down to the fork fluid in each since they both had the seals repaired last year at the same time. So the true effect of the progressive springs will be evident. :)

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Hmmmm.

Don't forget to ADJUST YOUR HEADLIGHT beam, after you install these stronger springs!

Will you use same spacer length/oil level height with these new springs?

Appreciate the excellent testing and measurement you share.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm.

Don't forget to ADJUST YOUR HEADLIGHT beam, after you install these stronger springs!

Will you use same spacer length/oil level height with these new springs?

Appreciate the excellent testing and measurement you share.
Thanks Lonerider,
The forks are perfect for this test as the fluid in them is identical in age and weight. I replaced the seals in both forks roughly a year ago.
As for head light adjustment, if anything I hope the Progressive spring will return the light to close to stock as I already have a heavy duty rear spring installed. So my lights are overly low with me on the bike. lol
Another factor I hope to test is comfort in jumping the KLR. With the rear suspension so stiff I have had to wheelie the bike off water breaks and such to encourage the majority of the landing stress to the rear. If I can I'll do a comparison on a small log crossing so I don't have to use any lift on the front tire to get over.
I know progressive springs have been around a long time but everyone just gives their opinion. I really wanna show a difference between them.:)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Buildit -

Very good stuff. This is going straight to the "Mods and Issues" thread!

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I know progressive springs have been around a long time but everyone just gives their opinion.
Thanks for quantifying, MEASURING the difference, in a repeatable, verifiable format!

Unlike reports of, seat-of-the-pants evaluations of modifications that simultaneously increase power, improve fuel mileage, reduce oil consumption, enhance ring seating, facilitate engine compression braking, etc., etc.!

Full disclosure: I have Progressive springs on my KLR250 (haven't adjusted the headlight beam elevation, yet!).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buildit -

Very good stuff. This is going straight to the "Mods and Issues" thread!

Thanks!

Tom
Thanks,
If you would post a link so I can find it and add the videos to follow.

:desismiley1:

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Buildit -

The link is to this thread (the link is on page two of the Common Mods and Issues thread), so all you need to do is work onthis thread here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did the progressive springs upgrade last week.
Preloaded 2.75"
Yamalube fork oil 10wt...... 350cc
It is the first upgrade to my new KLR, and the biggest difference I have felt in ride, and breaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts