Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Texas. Just caught you post. Ride the hill country?? All the time. wing it, klr it z1000 it.

Since the KLR I have tried a few CR's. All fun all the time.

phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! I have ridden it since for the past 20+ years and love it everytime. I have had many different types of bikes over the years, my last bike was an FZ1, just before I got this new 08 KLR. If you ever want to get together for a ride, let me know ... I have a couple of buddys that ride DP bikes, and New Braunfels is a nice place to start!

Sean

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool! I have ridden it since for the past 20+ years and love it everytime. I have had many different types of bikes over the years, my last bike was an FZ1, just before I got this new 08 KLR. If you ever want to get together for a ride, let me know ... I have a couple of buddys that ride DP bikes, and New Braunfels is a nice place to start!

Sean

Are you interested in the dirt ( County Roads) or what?

phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have ridden the three sisters (335, 336 and 337) each spring and fall for the last six or seven years. I recently bought a KLR and now I want to do some dirt roads. Can you recommend some?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best way is to get a county map and find some that look interesting. Gear up! Some of these roads are tuff. Watch the paved low water crossings, VERY slippery!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are numerous unpaved county roads all over the hill country. The ones I have ridden on the most are in between Bandera and Utopia, but there are others that criss-cross up to Fredricksburg. Some cross private property lines, so do not be surprised to see cattle and other large critters wandering around.

The creek crossings can be difficult if it has rained recently, but otherwise, pretty easy going. Make sure you have your tank topped off in case you get a little lost. A GPS would help a bit, too.

IMO, the best way to find them is just to explore ... cruise down the roads you are normally going and look for any side roads ... explore.

I have been looking at some google maps of the area south of Rocksprings and there appear to be a large number of unpaved roads in that area, but I am not sure if they are open to the public or not. Would be a nice adventure to find out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Pick up a "Roads of Texas" map book at Barnes & Noble or such. The best is DeLormes "Texas Atlas and Gazetter" which has all topo and gps grids. DeLorme has them for all states.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd be up for some rides out in hill country, I live in Universal City. I don't really know the area, and I'm a beginner rider, but do you all have any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wanna ride near SA this weekend?

Hey guys. I'm in the San Antonio area, and looking to go for a ride this Saturday. Maybe around Bandera/ Pipe Creek/ Kerrville?
Let me know if anyone wants to go.

Also, I'm going out to Big Bend next month (Feb. 19-22) for the Ride the Rio rally. I'd like to get a good size group to ride out there together.
Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey guys. I'm in the San Antonio area, and looking to go for a ride this Saturday. Maybe around Bandera/ Pipe Creek/ Kerrville?
Let me know if anyone wants to go.

Also, I'm going out to Big Bend next month (Feb. 19-22) for the Ride the Rio rally. I'd like to get a good size group to ride out there together.
Anyone else interested?
Hey mule what time saturday would work for you. A good meet up spot is the Pilot Truck stop on 35 and Ruekle rd.

let me know what works for youother guys.

phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gotta do some things in the am, but I'm thinking of heading out around 10am.
If you're in New Braunfels, maybe we could meet at Hwy 281 and 46. There's a Starbucks there, so I can caffiene up first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gotta do some things in the am, but I'm thinking of heading out around 10am.
If you're in New Braunfels, maybe we could meet at Hwy 281 and 46. There's a Starbucks there, so I can caffiene up first.
Know the intsection, don't know the place. West side or east?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts