Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94 KLR 650 that has been experiencing what I can only describe as "surging". The RPMs stay constant, the idle is not rising or falling, but the bike lurches intermittently. Anyone have an idea what might cause this?

I suspect it's a worn out drive train and maybe it's time for new cog, sprocket and chain, but I'm not sure. Is there an easy way to check this myself (there aren't any signs of "sharks teeth" on the sprocket). Or if it's something else entirely where should i go from here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Is typical on the KLR's. I am assuming the air/fuel mixture screw has not been touched on the carb. You need to pop out the plug and open the screw from a soft seated position 2 1/4 turns.
Here is a link with steps on how to do it:
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Carb_AirMix.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks. I'll check it out. My apologies for also posting this in the 2008+ forum... Oops.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Great thanks. I'll check it out. My apologies for also posting this in the 2008+ forum... Oops.
No problem at all.. Takes only a couple clicks to put it in another subforum.. :)

As far as surging, you got all the info I think you'll need. Mine did the exact same thing.. Popped the plug out, seated the screw and back it out 2 1/2 turns and it's never been an issue since.. That was 4 years ago..:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had similar symptoms and it was a chain kinking up. Later with a new chain I had symptoms that sound like what you're describing and I believe it was the coil. Happened when it was hot. Still waiting to verify for sure but I'm really thinking the new coil has done the trick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wondering if I am having the same problem. I have a 2001 KLR 650 with 13,000 miles on it. Traveling at highway/interstate speeds 50/55-75 mph I will often stall out. This has happened several times, it is particularly unnerving while passing a big rig and stalling out! It just loses power. Someone, somewhere mentioned a fuel tank vent but I can't find any information on this. Does this sound like the same problem or something different. It has never happened at 45 mph or below. Cheers,
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts