Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohmagerd.

It is exactly the same as the 2018, only different. BNG and some other unseen/unrevealed stuff. If they can't be bothered to show it, it must not be too terrific.

The weight is the same. The 460 pounds is fully fueled, so the apples-to-apples weight is about 420 pounds. edit: Oops! Wrong about that! It really has gained some weight.

It has fuel injection but, really, how can it not and still be marketable anywhere in the world that has any sort of emissions standards? As to the old bugaboo about the dangers and unreliability of FI, right. I wouldn't want to take a Ténéré or a BMW or an AT on a ride through South America or Africa. Oh, wait, that's done during the past 20 years with no real problems. Might have to rethink that...

If we're to criticize anything, how about a four-year hiatus with absolutely nothing done to improve the bike beyond putting an FI on it? That's something that has already been done and done well by private concerns. How about that this new KLR is really just a case of Bold New Graphics on steroids and pimping of the base model with a top case to make a "Traveler" and some crapola-looks-like- Ténéré-junk cases to make an "Adventure"? How about that there is no discernable or toutable improvement in suspension, that the addition of FI has not yielded an increase in power (it calculates to 33hp), no weight reduction, nor the introduction of a modern transmission?

In short, Kawasaki have been staring at their socks and mumbling, disheveled, dirty, dazed and disoriented, for the past four years and have introduced a KLR that is still the bottom of the motorcycle heap but tarted up a bit with some marketing mumbo-jumbo that nobody wants.

And how about some honest indignation about the tactics employed here? A four-year hiatus with no news, no indication of a follow-on, followed by a Big 2020 Reveal that told us to wait some more. Then the final reveal was really (and not unpredictably or unexpectedly) nothing more than a very loud and rather prolonged bit of flatulence. During the four year hiatus, during which they masterfully managed to only come up with what essentially is a governments-mandated fuel injection, they were unable to create a brochure we could download. A brochure that would show us the marvels of "NEW ALL-DIGITAL MULTI-FUNCTION INSTRUMENTATION" and just what is exciting about the "the exciting all-new 2022 KLR®650 dual-sport motorcycle".

I got up this morning and was prepared to, if "yes Virginia, there really is a new KLR", create a new subforum for the 2022+ KLR 700 so we all could oooh and ahhh over its new parallel twin with FI, it's real shock and real forks, it's six speed transmission, it's cool cockpit, its fantastic lighting, and it's modest $8000 price tag. I've been saved that effort.

ESCAPE. EXPLORE. ENVY.

The first two are common to most motorcycles. The last, meh, I don't see it with this one. I should reserve judgement as we have no details (because they couldn't be bothered to make a brochure or share any real information, fer crying' out loud!) but I feel like Sgt. Schultz. "I see NNNOTHING!"

Look, I know I'm ranting, but I'm as big a KLR geek as lumbers along the double-track. This thing is a hideosity. It is an affront. It is a slap in the face. It is a fart in our general direction. If it were new and innovative in any real way I'd buy one. I'd take it apart, I'd put it together, I'd be excited, I'd find weird shit to do to it. I'd probably even try and put a kick starter on it 'cuz that's what I do. But this?

Nah. You take this engine and put it in an '87 KLR and you'd have a better bike.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
They don't have the 2022 parts page up yet so we can't even view the Doo-Hickey or the instrument cluster!

Did you not notice the enlarged engine Tom? 652cc Or the enlarged front brake, 300mm?
How about the Gen 1 style swing arm & chain adjusters?

Reactions: samuel

·
Registered
125 Posts
It will sell gentlemen for the very same reasons they’ve always sold. I understand your annoyance but from their business perspective they’ve saved untold millions in development. It will probably run pretty much the same as a well sorted 1st or 2nd gen. without the buyer having to do a thing. Might even surprise you a little. I expect minor but noticeable improvements in overall feel. Can’t ride a spec sheet so we’ll see what happens. I can’t believe they brought that fugly front fender along though. My biggest bitch is that it GAINED 24 pounds rather than the loss of 24+ it needed. I’m curious if Suzuki will take notice with their old warhorse...

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...My biggest bitch is that it GAINED 24 pounds...
But it didn't gain weight. They are weighing it with a full tank vs an empty one. So, yeah, it gained 24 pounds with 40 pounds of fuel in it. Arguably, it lost some weight.

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't have the 2022 parts page up yet so we can't even view the Doo-Hickey or the instrument cluster!

Did you not notice the enlarged engine Tom? 652cc Or the enlarged front brake, 300mm?
How about the Gen 1 style swing arm & chain adjusters?
I did notice that, but couldn't quantify the power increase from that much displacement increase.

Do you think that the throw-back swingarm is a cost-saving measure?

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
As expected, it's largely BNG's......I echo Tom's comments though Eric's point is valid IMO; they will sell. Without a 50-60lb weight loss and real suspension, I won't be a buyer. Oh well, for what I do my modded Gen1's are better in every way.

Dave

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
My first reaction mirrors yours, Tom. Despite all the marketing hype, it's basically BNG's; They took a Gen2, added EFI, ABS a new gauge cluster, some "transformer" plastic, new lights, etc. etc. and that's about it (well, other than the extra related porkage). Same basic engine/trans, same basic power, same basic suspension........Some of us (i.e. Me) wanted basically a green KTM690R; others a green Tenere 700 and still others, the same basic KLR but with EFI a 6 spd and ABS.....guess who won....well sorta? :D It's clear that they didn't want to compete with the AT or Tenere and to me, that's fine - those bikes already exist and are ready for purchase. The added rubber mounted footpegs and handlegrips, and all the other changes/additions are geared towards the continued use as a low budget, small displacement ADV bike; I see this as a continuation of the changes they made in 2008. No, I don't want one and I believe that my modified Gen1's are better in every functional/measureable way for what I use them for but I think it will be a hit for Kawi and they'll probably sell a ton of them. 2 cents

·
Registered
58 Posts
Boy you guys are a tuff crowd.

I wake up this morning after seeing the reveal personally excited about the new KLR..... only to find a lot of moaning and groaning about how it's still the same and it's no big deal and it's fat and it's not Yamaha's Tenere and it's not like my first gen...... I know that's not how everybody feels but that's the general tone one gets reading the various forums today about the new 3rd gen.

It reminds me of how ducati redesigned everything on the 999 and the faithful freaked out about the drastic change.....or Hondas new Goldwing with its massive redesign had the goldwing faithful up in a roar. The chant was the same...."we liked what we had but just wanted subtle improvements". Now Kawasaki gives me what I always liked about the klr with subtle improvements and I'm thrilled.....but some seem to wish it was skinny like an old RM125 or like a modern big adventure machine.

We are KLR owners and they are fat and we usually make them "more" morbidly obese with accessories but that's nothing new to us. They are under powered......but we all know that. The fact that they kept it kind of looking the same but with a mild facelift here and there is probably what every Goldwing owner dreamed the new 2018 Goldwing would be like. We like thumpers here...that's who we are.

And did we forget the best news of all?.....our beloved KLR is back!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Was glad to see the price held at 2018 levels for those that don’t own one and want a new one vs. used. For current owners that have lots of money spent in upgrades the benefit just isn’t there. It will be very attractive to new buyers vs the VStrom, Tenere, Tiger, and KTM790. No 6th gear and why no traction control if you added ABS & EFI? These thee go hand-in-hand on all the other ADV bikes. What were they doing for 4 years+ ???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agree with Knappyfeet 100% and even thought of the 999 Duc comparison before he posted it. Wait for the ride reviews and see it in person at least. I think the BNG graphics is a little unfair. It seems because it was gone 3.5 years everyone expected more and I get it but if it was just a normal production run update people would be happier. Problem is in KLR world updates are few and far in between. Some of it is head scratching though even down to stupid little nitpicks like the giant loop in the rear brake line that just begs to hook on a tree limb and the Mickey Mouse mirrors. Come on Kawi, surely you can spec a better brake line route and mirrors off something else in your lineup.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I don't think the new KLR is a bad bike....I don't even think it was a bad decision by Kawi to keep the costs (theirs and purchasers) low. ....I just don't want one, it's a couple steps away from the original's true "dual purpose" nature IMO. I'm glad they resurrected the KLR and this bike has so much more in common than if they had made a long travel Versys 650 that it will keep us current owners in parts for even longer (not that that was a big issue with 120,000 made). So, all good....but yeah, it's basically BNG's. IMO.

·
Registered
2007 KLR 650
66 Posts
Ohmagerd.

It is exactly the same as the 2018, only different. BNG and some other unseen/unrevealed stuff. If they can't be bothered to show it, it must not be too terrific.

The weight is the same. The 460 pounds is fully fueled, so the apples-to-apples weight is about 420 pounds.

It has fuel injection but, really, how can it not and still be marketable anywhere in the world that has any sort of emissions standards? As to the old bugaboo about the dangers and unreliability of FI, right. I wouldn't want to take a Ténéré or a BMW or an AT on a ride through South America or Africa. Oh, wait, that's done during the past 20 years with no real problems. Might have to rethink that...

If we're to criticize anything, how about a four-year hiatus with absolutely nothing done to improve the bike beyond putting an FI on it? That's something that has already been done and done well by private concerns. How about that this new KLR is really just a case of Bold New Graphics on steroids and pimping of the base model with a top case to make a "Traveler" and some crapola-looks-like- Ténéré-junk cases to make an "Adventure"? How about that there is no discernable or toutable improvement in suspension, that the addition of FI has not yielded an increase in power (it calculates to 33hp), no weight reduction, nor the introduction of a modern transmission?

In short, Kawasaki have been staring at their socks and mumbling, disheveled, dirty, dazed and disoriented, for the past four years and have introduced a KLR that is still the bottom of the motorcycle heap but tarted up a bit with some marketing mumbo-jumbo that nobody wants.

And how about some honest indignation about the tactics employed here? A four-year hiatus with no news, no indication of a follow-on, followed by a Big 2020 Reveal that told us to wait some more. Then the final reveal was really (and not unpredictably or unexpectedly) nothing more than a very loud and rather prolonged bit of flatulence. During the four year hiatus, during which they masterfully managed to only come up with what essentially is a governments-mandated fuel injection, they were unable to create a brochure we could download. A brochure that would show us the marvels of "NEW ALL-DIGITAL MULTI-FUNCTION INSTRUMENTATION" and just what is exciting about the "the exciting all-new 2022 KLR®650 dual-sport motorcycle".

I got up this morning and was prepared to, if "yes Virginia, there really is a new KLR", create a new subforum for the 2022+ KLR 700 so we all could oooh and ahhh over its new parallel twin with FI, it's real shock and real forks, it's six speed transmission, it's cool cockpit, its fantastic lighting, and it's modest $8000 price tag. I've been saved that effort.

ESCAPE. EXPLORE. ENVY.

The first two are common to most motorcycles. The last, meh, I don't see it with this one. I should reserve judgement as we have no details (because they couldn't be bothered to make a brochure or share any real information, fer crying' out loud!) but I feel like Sgt. Schultz. "I see NNNOTHING!"

Look, I know I'm ranting, but I'm as big a KLR geek as lumbers along the double-track. This thing is a hideosity. It is an affront. It is a slap in the face. It is a fart in our general direction. If it were new and innovative in any real way I'd buy one. I'd take it apart, I'd put it together, I'd be excited, I'd find weird shit to do to it. I'd probably even try and put a kick starter on it 'cuz that's what I do. But this?

Nah. You take this engine and put it in an '87 KLR and you'd have a better bike.
YAWN...same outdated KLR bike and even PORKIER so more to love right??

You fucked up Kawasaki!!!

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Back to a single piston rear caliper
That is incorrect.

Twin piston rear caliper with a thicker 240 mm disc. Front is twin piston caliper with a larger 300 mm disc.

Both brake discs are perfectly Round on their outer perimeter rather than scalloped.

And I'm wondering which country will receive the Lime Green version that I saw in a You Tube video?

1 - 20 of 296 Posts