Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Things happen real fast on those. There isn't much room for error. I've rode bikes my whole life too but reflexes tend to slow down as the years go by. Truth be told, I'd probably be dead if we had these kind of machines 50 years ago.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lol no doubt. Fastest bike I’ve rode was a v65 magna. Thought it was outta control lol. Couldn’t imagine the other. He said it is governed to 300km/hr but has no inkling to go half that fast.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All I can say is HD must have broken the bank paying off all these "rider-journalists" to ego stroke lime-light articles week after pathetic week.
Or maybe it's a real good bike.

I would still probably purchase the 3rd gen KLR but since my wife likes Harley Davidsons I'll give it a fair shake.

Plus at $6,000 less than a BMW in similar form and supposedly technologically superior who knows......maybe it's the real deal

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,454 Posts
Seems like lots of people like to bash HDs. That even included me until 2000, when I rented a Heritage Softail for a day in Utah. Then I went and bought one. And I’ve owned 3 Hawgs since. All excellent bikes for their purpose. I’m pretty sure HD did their due diligence before entering the ADV market, so you can be sure it is competitive in its class, plus it brings some new innovations. Time will tell.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Seems like lots of people like to bash HDs. That even included me until 2000, when I rented a Heritage Softail for a day in Utah. Then I went and bought one. And I’ve owned 3 Hawgs since. All excellent bikes for their purpose. I’m pretty sure HD did their due diligence before entering the ADV market, so you can be sure it is competitive in its class, plus it brings some new innovations. Time will tell.
I think harley had some struggles in fmc days. The Japanese bikes came on strong and harley’s rnd not so good. I think when Harley teamed up with Porsche on engine development that helped a ton. I know a few that have and wouldn’t own anything else. One thing is certain Harley knows marketing.

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts
I think harley had some struggles in fmc days.
I believe you mean the AMF days of the 1970's, American Machine & Foundry.
My fathers AMF lawnmower of that period lasted about 2 years. We had to resurrect the Western Auto 'Wizard' mower again.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I also had a low opinion of HD's from the past......then I rented a 2010 in Hawaii and came home and bought one (Electraglide Classic). That bike performed flawlessly in the 2 years I owned it. All that said, I'll be surprised if HD can make a large ADV bike that can compete well with the venerable BMW 1250GS or the KTM1290. Possible? sure....but I wouldn't put money on it.

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
I also had a low opinion of HD's from the past......then I rented a 2010 in Hawaii and came home and bought one (Electraglide Classic). That bike performed flawlessly in the 2 years I owned it. All that said, I'll be surprised if HD can make a large ADV bike that can compete well with the venerable BMW 1250GS or the KTM1290. Possible? sure....but I wouldn't put money on it.

Dave
My nephew raced a Harley with his 790 and he said the Harley wasnt even close. Some big new street bike. He said my klr 705 likely give it a bad time knowing how close we are. He said he never let off till 100mph and not close. The guy with Harley was a cousin.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well, I've owned: Italian, British, American and Japanese bikes and all of them had their strong and weak points.

As mentioned in previous posts, everyone loves to bash HD. Two years ago I rode from Houston, Texas to Carmel, California on my 2012 FLHTK and it was the perfect bike for that trip. It was comfortable and had plenty of storage space for riding gear. Several months later I made a trip to the Grand Canyon and again it was the perfect bike for this particular adventure. However, it's way too big and heavy for short trips around town. So for around town errands, I prefer the KLR with Givi hard cases and top box. Heck, I haul everything from bags fertilizer to groceries on that bike.

The British pushed 50s motorcycle technology as far as they could and then folded under the pressure of the Japanese competition in the 1970s. They are romantic and good looking bikes, but not good for much else. I'm talking about the old Nortons, BSAs, and Triumphs--exclusive of the new Triumphs.

Everyone also loves to bash AMF, but they actually saved HD in 1969. But then in 1981 HD had to save themselves from AMF.

Jason

·
Registered
338 Posts
Two years ago I rode from Houston, Texas to Carmel, California on my 2012 FLHTK and it was the perfect bike for that trip. It was comfortable and had plenty of storage space for riding gear.
..... but what made it more perfect than any other cruiser?

not bashing the Harley but until they get over the nostalgia of the air cooled engine, it's not even a question for me. though it does explain why a large chunk of harley riders can't be bothered to nod or wave as we pass. I'd be miserable too, sitting on top of an 1800cc+ air cooled engine in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Having 9 Harleys, from 1991 to my last 2015. I never understood the wave/nod/low wave.
I/we/friends only waved at each other. Just because one is on a bike, does not mean one is my sister or brother.
NOW, the klr is a bit different. Its,,, its what it is. It would be hard to find a ( shitbird ) on a klr, so that bretheren, is different.
It is sad, to keep a bike, any bike, of any make, and have an antique, and some ASS, steals it, seen it a lot. Lots of Harleys.
My last 8 years of working was doing linework out of Easton PA, right next to Jersy.
On a nice sunny day, all the weekenders, would go for a ride to be able to wave, and play dress up.
BUT, any other time, they, would be in there car, and your just another jerk on a bike not going fast enough for them.
So, no wave from me in that area, and, I did get the one finger wave a lot.
Now a days, if I get crap from a dudet, on a Harley, I just ask how many payments he has left, what dealer does he take it to,to have them check the tire air psi.
The old, do you want to race, ( of coarse ) up that ditch and down that gravel road, lets go.
ALASSSS, I have given all my Harley stuff away, but one trinket, and my last T shirt that just wont wear out.
I used to fit into this joke.....
( whats the difference between a Harley rider and a Hoover vacume cleaner...... With the vacume cleaner, the DIRTBAG, is on the inside. ) The end.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My nephew who bought 790 ktm still has a Harley. A late 80’s screaming eagle. He says while its cool to ride it has absolutely nothing on the ktm or even the Klr. He said my slightly modified klr would kill his Harley easily in a drag race. However neither are really made for that purpose. The Harley is a torquer for street and Klr is same for dirt.

·
Registered
655 Posts
..... but what made it more perfect than any other cruiser?

not bashing the Harley but until they get over the nostalgia of the air cooled engine, it's not even a question for me. though it does explain why a large chunk of harley riders can't be bothered to nod or wave as we pass. I'd be miserable too, sitting on top of an 1800cc+ air cooled engine in the middle of summer.
In my opinion, cruiser-type bikes are not the best option for traveling long distances. But if you mean: what makes it better than any other touring bike, well, there other touring bikes that are just as capable as my '12 FLHTK.

Regarding air cooled versus water cooled, there are some advantages to air cooling. I won't go into them here but note that the Porsche 911 held onto their air-cooled motor for 34 years before coming out with their water-pumper. Also, note that the new Harley touring bikes starting in 2014 have liquid cooling.

Jason

·
Registered
522 Posts
In my opinion, cruiser-type bikes are not the best option for traveling long distances. But if you mean: what makes it better than any other touring bike, wel, there other touring bikes that are just as capable as my '12 FLHTK.

Regarding air cooled versus water cooled, there are some advantages to air cooling. I won't go into them here but note that the Porsche 911 held onto their air-cooled motor for 34 years before coming out with their water-pumper. Also, note that the new Harley touring bikes starting in 2014 have liquid cooling.

Jason
Jason im no street bike guru. So for long hauls you want a touring bike? What would differences be?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Jason im no street bike guru. So for long hauls you want a touring bike? What would differences be?
Cruisers are more form than function; meaning they are designed to look a certain way and how the bike performs is a secondary design goal. In my mind, cruisers look like a mild chopper with their low slung seat, feet forward riding position and rising gas tank. These features make riding long distances somewhat uncomfortable.

On the other hand, touring bikes have a seat and ridding position that is designed for all-day comfort. What's more they often come with a windshield, cruise control, hard saddlebags and trunk, which are beneficial features when out on the road for weeks at a time and you have to pack several changes of clothes, protective gear, a rain suit and a bottle of whisky.

I hope this brief explanation helps you better understand the difference between the two.

Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
not bashing the Harley but until they get over the nostalgia of the air cooled engine, it's not even a question for me. though it does explain why a large chunk of harley riders can't be bothered to nod or wave as we pass.
It's the nostalgia that keeps HD selling bikes and there are a couple HDs that are water cooled/partially water cooled.

I remember reading years ago that 70% of all motorcycle sales of 700cc and larger bikes in the US were Harley Davidsons. I don't know if its the same now but why would they ever change the recipe with that enormous success?

I would go further and say other manufacturers should take note on what harley does....... which is change as little as possible and keep their models as close to what their customer base is use to. I mean there is of course changes through time but the electra glide is just as recognizable today as it was when it debut in 1969. The longest running model....the sportster is going to celebrate nearly 65 years in production.......and aside from the changes of the Evo from the ironhead, frame, suspension and a few other items it's still the same bike. ... even sporting the old peanut tank.

if your looking at a 1972 sportster and a 2021 sportster you know your looking at a sportster and that is Harley Davidsons key to success

241 - 260 of 284 Posts