Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
Welcome to the forum, PhilW.
And we will all be looking forward to your review of the NEW bike after a few weeks to get acquainted with each other. :)

Reactions: PhilW

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where did the added weight come from with the 22? I can see some with the fuel pump. Maybe a little bit with the increased thickness of the brake rotors and the axle diameter increase but it just doesn't add seem to add up to 24 lbs. Another thing I wonder is if the plastic is unbreakable. They're starting to show up around here so maybe I can finally see one.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Where did the added weight come from with the 22? I can see some with the fuel pump. Maybe a little bit with the increased thickness of the brake rotors and the axle diameter increase but it just doesn't add seem to add up to 24 lbs. Another thing I wonder is if the plastic is unbreakable. They're starting to show up around here so maybe I can finally see one.
The same place it did in 2008 when they added 25lbs; death by a thousand cuts. In 2008 a big chunk was them cheaping out and using a steel lower triple clamp - it appears they did the same thing in 2022 with the swingarm.....the rest is likely a few ounces in dozens of places.

.....and nothing is unbreakable. ;-) The plastic looks like it's ABS (like the Gen2) rather than poly (like the Gen1) - ABS is more brittle.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
The same place it did in 2008 when they added 25lbs; death by a thousand cuts. In 2008 a big chunk was them cheaping out and using a steel lower triple clamp - it appears they did the same thing in 2022 with the swingarm.....the rest is likely a few ounces in dozens of places.

.....and nothing is unbreakable. ;-) The plastic looks like it's ABS (like the Gen2) rather than poly (like the Gen1) - ABS is more brittle.

Dave
I thought the biggest weight gain in the gen 2 was the steel framework to support the dash/fairing. I'll stick with the gen 1 if that's the case.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Great review of the GEN 3. Almost 30 minutes long. Curious if any of those rubber mounted goodies will bolt onto my 03.... Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,436 Posts
The whole fork assembly of the Gen2 is bigger and thicker than the Gen1, not just the lower triple clamp. Switching the lower clamp from aluminum to steel only added a pound or so. The rear subframe is beefier too. But the main point remains, a lot of little things added up.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
The whole fork assembly of the Gen2 is bigger and thicker than the Gen1, not just the lower triple clamp. Switching the lower clamp from aluminum to steel only added a pound or so. The rear subframe is beefier too. But the main point remains, a lot of little things added up.

yep, fork, spokes, caliper, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. the weird thing is that most of the things they strengthened on the Gen2 or Gen3 weren't things that were common failure points anyhow! Not sure I remember the last time someone complained about breaking an axle or pivot bolt. (for eg.)

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
yep, fork, spokes, caliper, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. the weird thing is that most of the things they strengthened on the Gen2 or Gen3 weren't things that were common failure points anyhow!
Agreed. Wouldn't it have been 'smarter' to have up-graded to 10mm lower sub-frame bolts and riders foot rest bolts?

Replaceable sub-frames are a good thing in case of major crash or automotive rear-ender.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
80 Posts

Great review of the GEN 3. Almost 30 minutes long. Curious if any of those rubber mounted goodies will bolt onto my 03.... Enjoy!
And they didn't even fix the doohickey according to the narrator. Hmmm maybe eagle mike works for khi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not super sure about the added weight but the bike is pretty top heavy with a full tank of gas.

About the plastic, it is very fragile. So far this is the only real disappointing part of this bike for me. I've put her sideways in the woods twice and both time have caused damage. The first time I had to take the piece off and glue some mounting posts back on. Second time it cracked by a mounting bolt.

I have been trying to get crash bars ever since I got it but cannot find a company that sells any.

Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,436 Posts
Thanks for putting it through real world off-road testing and reporting the results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not super sure about the added weight but the bike is pretty top heavy with a full tank of gas.

About the plastic, it is very fragile. So far this is the only real disappointing part of this bike for me. I've put her sideways in the woods twice and both time have caused damage. The first time I had to take the piece off and glue some mounting posts back on. Second time it cracked by a mounting bolt.

I have been trying to get crash bars ever since I got it but cannot find a company that sells any.

Frustrating.
Out of curiosity what caused you to tip over twice? Do you have the adventure model or the non-adventure? Just wondering if the factory engine slider guards on the adventure model prevent any damage. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Out of curiosity what caused you to tip over twice? Do you have the adventure model or the non-adventure? Just wondering if the factory engine slider guards on the adventure model prevent any damage. Thanks.
Non adventure model. No guards at this time

First time I was trying to traverse a telephone pole size tree log on the ground. I did not get enough traction to get the front end up and ended up falling over.

Second time I was on a single track slope just got on the bike and had to turn around to go downhill, and I was just starting to go when the front tire rolled over a baseball size rock, forks turned right, and the bike fell downwards on the slope.

First one I fell hard, that was totally dumb, second one was like slow motion. The first fall the bike hit the upper part of the plastic. Only true crash bars would have saved it from damage. Second crash the bottom of the painted plastic hit rocky road. Engine guards would have saved that one

I'm waiting to get full guards tope and bottoms before I go single track again. I'm just not as experienced as I need to be. Plus I was with a full tank both times. The bike is damn top heavy with a full tank. With three gallons in it feels like a dirt bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Non adventure model. No guards at this time

First time I was trying to traverse a telephone pole size tree log on the ground. I did not get enough traction to get the front end up and ended up falling over.

Second time I was on a single track slope just got on the bike and had to turn around to go downhill, and I was just starting to go when the front tire rolled over a baseball size rock, forks turned right, and the bike fell downwards on the slope.

First one I fell hard, that was totally dumb, second one was like slow motion. The first fall the bike hit the upper part of the plastic. Only true crash bars would have saved it from damage. Second crash the bottom of the painted plastic hit rocky road. Engine guards would have saved that one

I'm waiting to get full guards tope and bottoms before I go single track again. I'm just not as experienced as I need to be. Plus I was with a full tank both times. The bike is damn top heavy with a full tank. With three gallons in it feels like a dirt bike.
I wonder how much of this also has to do with the stock tires. They feel a bit soft / slick to me, but I may just need to put more miles. Crash guards needed for sure, but will add even more weight to this baby hippo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wonder how much of this also has to do with the stock tires. They feel a bit soft / slick to me, but I may just need to put more miles. Crash guards needed for sure, but will added even more weight to this baby hippo.
Yes I agree the tires are not great. As soon as I can I'm putting on some tractionator rallz front and back

·
Registered
20 Posts
For some reason I thought the Adventure models came with handwarmers.Looked at a non ABS model today at the dealer and doesnt look like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For some reason I thought the Adventure models came with handwarmers.Looked at a non ABS model today at the dealer and doesnt look like it.
I can confirm that on the Adventure ABS model, hand grip heaters are a $200 accessory here in Oz. Like you for some reason I thought it came with them.

281 - 298 of 298 Posts