Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this from a friend, I know he may not be know in the KLR community, but his influence along with Indian Larry brought me to the level I am within my paintwork and keep me working harder to get better. I would give the job for free, just to get to paint one of his bikes.

On October 2, 2006 Billy Lane of Choppers Inc. and Daimlerchrysler Corporation (Dodge) were named as defendants in an auto negligence lawsuit filed by Gerald Morelock's Mother and his Estate in the Brevard County Florida Civil Court. Gerald Morelock was killed while riding his motorcycle when Billy Lane, allegedly drunk and driving on a suspended license, crossed a double yellow line to pass two cars on a stretch of highway A1A in Melbourne Florida on September 4, 2006.

The civil suit was filed by Attorney S. Sammy Cacciatore of the Law Firm Nance, Cacciatore, Hamilton, Barger, Nance & Cacciatore has been docketed to be heard by His Honor John Dean Moxley Jr. in the Brevard County Florida Civil Court. Cacciatore?s firm was founded in 1963 and specializes in personal injury and wrongful death cases.

Details of the lawsuit were not available at the time of this article. We will attempt to get copies of the original filing if that is possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, someone is headed to jail for a little while, but if he is famous, especially a show bike builder, it probably won't be for a hard run though. I think it is terrible when someone else has to pay the price to give someone a reality check.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You get high or drunk or tired or whatever excuse, do something stupid, and kill someone, then you should go to jail for a very long time no matter who you are. Unfortunately the justice system is a screwed up. My good friend was killed last August by a lady who was high and on valium -- he was stopped at a red light on his chopper, and she rear ended him at 50+mph. Even though she was charged with vehicular homicide, somehow with the lovely Florida justice system she just got out of jail -- after a whopping 19 days plus a few years probation for killing someone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Probably simply because they have a lot more money than Billy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carl V said:
It's the "big pockets" theory in lawsuits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SgtMarty said:
Carl V said:
It's the "big pockets" theory in lawsuits.
Deep pockets. Go for the deep pocket. Was he driving a Daimler vehicle?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good grief!!! I just read that he got his license suspended for DUI.

Not only was he drunk, he was riding down the opposite lane of a 4 lane highway with no helmet!!! Was this guy on a downward spiral or what! I wonder if he was suicidal?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dunno, but the innocent guy got killed and he survived - after already showing a pattern and gross disregard for the law or the safety of others.
D

·
Registered
77 Posts
RedKLR said:
So if some bozo in a Chevy turns left in front of me.... I sue Chevy? This is getting out of hand.
If you put up a 12 foot barbed wire fence and "No Trespassing" signs every 10 feet in 5 languages and someone climbed your fence and injured themselves while on your property, not only could they sue you but they would probably win. Even if they didn't win, the legal fees to defend yourself against an intruder would wipe you out. Welcome to America.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My best guess on the sueing of Dodge is because the car probably didn't have a breathalizer interlock on the ignition system.

Neat. More useless crap for every John Q. Public to have to pay for and use in new cars if that is the case and the plaintiff wins.

Just guessing.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
RedKLR said:
Anyone know why the Daimlerchrysler Corporation is a defendent?
Don't know if anybody here remember Derrick Thomas (KC Chief Linebacker). When he got in his accident that paralyzed him, he was driving a Chevy SUV. Anyway, he spun out on ice on the interstate, rolled the SUV and got thrown from the vehicle, and landed on the opposite side of the interstate. After he died from a blood clot, his mother and his estate sued Chevy. Of course his estate needed the money because he had like 10 kids from 9 different mothers. The mother lost the lawsuit. So in closing, I have no clue why I just typed this other than to say, just because Chrysler is sued, doesn't mean they will lose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dread said:
I dunno, but the innocent guy got killed and he survived - after already showing a pattern and gross disregard for the law or the safety of others.
D
Yeah, but he makes a cool custom bike. Bah...makes me angry. Hope you get the maximum of 15 years Billy, you deserve it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ahh the people that reside in the low end of the gene pool, and you know the worst part about it, they breed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts