Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....it is time to start planning our Fall Rides! We normally get things moving with the SM500 around the end of September. To help create some smaller groups, we decided to have 3 loop rides on this weekend.....'Smokey Mountain 500', 'The Bootlegger' (northern half), and a loop I have been working on for the past year.....'Over-Mountain Loop'. Unfortunately, due to the flooding and the destruction of Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground on August 17 from TS Fred, I feel I need to postpone the OML. The BRMC and the FS roads south of the BRP, is a big part of the OML, so I will keep it in my back pocket for awhile and see what happens.

The Bootlegger is normally a full week loop through NC, GA, TN, and a little bit of VA! It was first brought to our attention back in 2016 by our old friend, Dave Despain. At the last minute, he was unable to make the ride, so a few of the gang stepped up to make the loop happen! As for this weekend, the loop is going to be cut in half in order to get in a 4 day loop. It will consist of the northern half, including TN, VA, and NC.

Our friend Dean will be leading this ride! He will be posting up details as to where the starting point will be and in what direction he will be taking the loop. Thank you to Dean for leading this ride! Who is going?

What: The Bootlegger (northern half)
Where: HHMC, Black Bear Campground, others to be named later.
When: September 23-26
Who: All welcome......dirt and twisty pavement!

RIDER..........................RIDE..............DAYS
Shakeyjake18..............XR650L...........Wed(pm)-Sun

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Due to the length of travel of a few people coming for this loop, we are leaving on Thursday morning from Hot Springs NC. We will be traveling the loop clockwise, but be making some changes on the ride Saturday due to the closure of BRMC. Any questions feel free to message me on here, or text if you have my phone number. Looking forward to some new roads and scenery.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are trailering up to Hot Springs, we have secured parking at a friend of a friends residence. This will only be for parking vehicles, there are no camping or facilities at this location. Since this is a private residence, If you are wanting to leave a vehicle there, you will need to contact me personally to get the location. The plan is to leave Hot Springs NC around 1030 Thursday morning. We will meet at the parking lot for Hot Springs resort campground and then head out. Thursday night we will be staying at Black Bear Resort in Hampton TN. Friday night we will be staying at High Country Motorcycle Camp in Ferguson NC. Saturday we will be making our way back to Hot Springs NC and arriving early evening (Hopefully). I have a camping cabin at Black Bear that has 4 beds in it. As of now, I have 1 bed available in this cabin, If you are interested in having that bed, let me know. First person to claim it, gets it. It will be around $18-20 for the night. High Country does not any availability except for hammock or tent camping.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Updated......

Shakeyjake18............XR650L...........Wed(pm)-Sun
OPW..........................CRF1000..........Thur(am)-Sun
RoRo..........................KLR650...............?-?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is this going to be a race? If so, will there be daily prizes or is it an overall winner based on a points type system?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is this going to be a race? If so, will there be daily prizes or is it an overall winner based on a points type system?
It is, Roland will win based on pure talent, John will win by horsepower of his bike, I will win if I take the other 2 out. hahah

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is, Roland will win based on pure talent, John will win by horsepower of his bike, I will win if I take the other 2 out. hahah
I really think there is more that one Roland. You think he is behind you or he takes off up a random trail, then you come around a corner and he is sitting there waiting on you, either that or he has a time machine / Transporter on his KLR

·
Registered
192 Posts
I MAY be skipping out to go west the following week.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updated......

Shakeyjake18............XR650L...........Wed(pm)-Sun
OPW..........................CRF1000..........Thur(am)-Sun
RoRo..........................KLR650...............?-?
Yotaman423...............T7......................?-?
StevenE......................KLR650..............?-?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Andrew claimed the last bed at Black Bear. Saturday will probably be a 240-250 mile day from what I am looking at, If anyone is interested in staying Saturday night after arriving back in Hot Springs, we are staying at Laughing Heart Hostel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are interested in this loop and have not found out where we are parking the tow vehicles, message me and I will pass on the information. Looking forward to a great trip. Possibly looking at going to Chuck's favorite BBQ restaurant (Non questionable) Ridgewood BBQ on Thursday evening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts