1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes, it is. I've always wondered how they remained in business since their customer base was pretty small. I guess the handwriting was on the wall when they dropped the Blast, which is H-D's "trainer".

Guess if you want a bike with "USA" on it, it'll be a big cruiser. Maybe H-D will make one or two models. Hope so.

Buell brakes are the standard by which I've always judged other bikes brakes.

I'm really bummed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No kidding. They made some pretty impressive machines, and their drag bikes are second to none.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I hate to hear that. Erik Buell was a great innovator to H-D, a bike I would never even look at twice until he came along. What a loss not just for Erik, but for the employee's that are now looking for a job. I was just warming up to looking at and hopefully test riding a Ulysses. I feel guilty now for not seriously considering a Uly in the past. I did hear that H-D treated the Buell line as a bastard stepchild. Too bad. I'll bet the cost of any Buell just went way up.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I passed a well ridden blast on the way home. Gave a sympathy wave.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Unfortunately, the writing's been on the wall for a while. They've been a money drain for HD for a few years (or always). Excellent bikes, but nothing I'd want to own.. A friend has a Thunderbolt and I've ridden it several times.. Great bike, but not my type, even tough it was the best HD engined vehicle I've ever ridden, and I've ridden several..

Naw.. I was shocked when they picked up MVAgusta in this market, and I guess the time came to shed the money losers..

I really don't care what happens to HD, truthfully. I hate to say that, but the only thing that I hope for is that they keep going because I know a couple guys that work at the paint plant in Tomahawk, WI.

Unfortunately, those who live the "lifestyle" has worn my care for all things Harley pretty thin. I just love being told how the best motorcycle on the earth is over 100 years old and is actually running on technology that's almost as old. Engine as big as my car, and making as much horsepower as my lawnmower.

Sometimes, I'm a jerk.. But it's usually for a good reason..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I just watched Erik's video at buell.com. Pretty sad.

Dan, I feel what your saying about HD...and I come from Harley stock, I was around them my whole childhood. And they haven't changed much. I wouldn't want one. But damn, can't we build anything here that will succeed? If it wasn't for the dentist and accountant Harley crowd, HD would be gone too. Chinese bikes are getting better, Japanese bikes are bulletproof, and it is only a matter of time until you won't be able to buy an American motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'd rather see Buell survive and prosper than HD. I have several friends who live near the Buell plant and know Eric personally.. Great guy, great vision, and I would love to see this in a different direction.

I'm concerned about the soon-to-be only other USA bike manufacturer, too.. Polaris dumped huge money into the ugliest touring bike ever made, the Victory Vision

I've seen way more in Polaris/Victory showrooms than on the road.. I'm wondering how long they'll dump money in that hole, too.. Victory's the most US made motorcycle today.. Second place is the Honday VTX/Goldwing lines made in Ohio, and both of those lines are headed to Japan..

Harley may become the USA made motorcycle again, by default.. :(

·
Registered
815 Posts
Didn't Buell start using Rotax engines? Probably pissed on some cornflakes by doing that because now the Harley aspect was removed from the Buell and the Rotax engines are rock solid which would show the Harley engines up and HD couldn't allow that to happen.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, they're still 51% Harley Davison owned, but yes, they're Rotax engines.

In the end, it was sales that killed them.. For years they've been giving away cool freebies in order to draw people in for road tests. I have a hat that is confused with a Dallas Cowboy hat all the time.

The big thing to remember is that even though Buell was Harley owned, Harley owners don't ride them, and Buell riders seldom rode Harley. The mix made sense at first, but the seperation was expected...

What's also expected is someone buying the Buell line.. Just seems too big and important to die.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would make a lot of sense for Bombardier to continue with the Buell since their Engine is already in it. Their can-am spyder shows their interest in motorcycles, although way too expensive, it's a start and the Buell line could help them continue without investing a ton starting from scratch on engineering. I never had any interest in Buell, too expensive for what you get, still paying for the HD mystique that has long dwindled to nothing in the real world.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Harley has spent billions perpetuating an image and the Buell bikes don't match that image at all. Besides, imagine going into some of the HD head shops requesting service on your Buell? Oh yeah, get right on it.:46:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Harley is the Paris Hilton of motorcycle manufacturers. I have nothing against the machine 'cuzz it is just a machine nor do I have anything against Harley riders no matter how silly they look. But the writing was on the wall when the morons that run the company decided to buy MV/Agust during a recession. They now are looking to unload that ill conceived purchase, not just do away with Buell. Harley painted itself into a corner with its ego pump philosophy and now they are on the rocks yet again. What do you want to bet they go back to the government for a bailout and some protection like they did in the '80s. If you can get the Harleys out of Harley's management then they may do okay.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
If you can get the Harleys out of Harley's management then they may do okay.
That was tried once.....AMF. Total fail. It took tariff's on imported M/C's and finally Willie G to resurrect H-D. I would really like to see ANY American bike manufacturer succeed. Just give me something I want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That was tried once.....AMF. Total fail. It took tariff's on imported M/C's and finally Willie G to resurrect H-D. I would really like to see ANY American bike manufacturer succeed. Just give me something I want.
Just because AMF failed to run the company properly doesn't mean an outsider cannot run it.

Willy G. has already proclaimed he is an artist and not a business man. He has repeatedly confirmed that Harley deliberately keeps its production numbers low so it can get a premium price for its bikes. He has also stated that "rubbies", rich urban bikers, are Harley's bread and butter. Now that Harley needs affordable bikes they have little to offer and the rubbiesw ain't buying. Thank Willie G. and his team for that.

"Just give me something I want." ... This is exactly what I am getting at. Harley heard the call for something that wasn't a fashion accessory but failed to heed it.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Just give me something I want.
And there's the problem.. I don't want a big twin cruiser, period.. I own a 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for a reason.. It handles like a bike that weighs 2/3rds of what it actually does.. Every Harley feels like it weighs twice of what it actually does, and yes, I've ridden lots of different Harleys over the years, from 883 Sportsters to Ultra Classics.. They all feel HUGE, and my Goldwing feels like a 1000 sport touring bike (yeah, I'm serious)

It's got excellent brakes, handling, accellerates like it's alway just short of a wheelie, yet is unbelievably comfortable.. I was sold 5 miles into my test ride, and I've only become more and more happy in the 10K miles I've had it.. (stupid KLR and BMW eat up the rest of the miles)..

My Wing has an issue with footpegs.. It wears the bottoms off.. :) I used to laugh at this ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRG9mO2CFM but I don't anymore.. And that was for the 2003 Wing, which was upgraded with better frame, suspension and brakes in 2005..

That's my modern bike.. My not so modern bike also feels like it weighs less than it does (550 lbs.).. It's a 25 year old BMW and between it, the KLR and the Wing, I have a hard time choosing what I want to ride..

If someone were to give me a choice of Harley products to toss into that mix, I'm afraid I'd just have a Harley for sale.. I don't like the product, and I don't like the lifestyle.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Harley is failing for many reasons. First, their mystique is practically dead, if not already dead and that was their main selling point. Harley may be an American company, but most of their parts come from Japan or Mexico these days and just assembled here. Also, the older generation of diehard Harley folks are dying off every year and being replaced by a younger generation wanting these new custom motorcycles and you know that is putting a major dent in Harley sales. And yes, their tactics of shipping bikes overseas to keep the US bikes in short supply is well known now. Don't know how true this is, but I've heard there are military guys stationed overseas buying Harleys way cheaper there and shipping them back to sell here for a reasonable profit. I just think Harley shot its wad, their time in the spotlight is over and done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts