Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want to see what ethanol does, check the YouTube video "Is non-ethanol gasoline really better?" by the Project Farm channel. It shows how harmful ethanol is to aluminum. It eats it up. I use only 91 non ethanol in my bikes and Mower/Snow Blower gas. If I end up having to use ethanol on the road, I ride it as empty as possible when I get home and fill with Non Ethanal as it can sit for a while.

Using it in a car that you may drive every day, it likely isn't so bad, Drain your bowls for long storage to prevent them from gumming up.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
963 Posts
If you want to see what ethanol does, check the YouTube video "Is non-ethanol gasoline really better?" by the Project Farm channel. It shows how harmful ethanol is to aluminum. It eats it up. I use only 91 non ethanol in my bikes and Mower/Snow Blower gas. If I end up having to use ethanol on the road, I ride it as empty as possible when I get home and fill with Non Ethanal as it can sit for a while.

Using it in a car that you may drive every day, it likely isn't so bad, Drain your bowls for long storage to prevent them from gumming up.
Sure wish non-ethanol fuel was more readily available in my area….but it’s not. Libtard CA put the shackles on that idea a long time ago.
There’s a fuel station that sells non-ethanol gas in Minden, NV. Go there every chance I get.

I try to use Stabil 360 marine (blue liquid) every chance I get, which helps minimize the negative effects of ethanol fuel.

Reactions: GengisRon

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,557 Posts
Another factor to consider: the cheap crap fuel lines and hoses being made in China also started hitting the market about the same time as ethanol. I have some OE American and German fuel and other hoses that are 30+ years old and still good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here's my .02
I changed the factory fill and filter out @ 300 miles on my 2018. The filter had done what it was supposed to do as it was covered with all sorts of crap. Makes me wonder about the cleanliness of the assembly floor and the parts being assembled. Youtube's Fort9 has a video where he drained and tested the factory break in oil from 6 or 8 new bikes of different brands and Kawasaki wasn't looking real good in that area. I replaced with Motul 10W40 full ester synthetic. Ran that for almost 2k miles and sent a sample off to Blackstone Labs. While they said that particular oil was "OK", they noted it had sheared considerably during that short use interval. I was not impressed with that as it is very expensive oil and you would think it shouldn't lose it's viscosity in that short of time in the engine. So, the KLR has used either Kawasaki or Rotella diesel oil ever since. Truthfully, the Rotella T6 15W40 gives a smoother shift than the expensive Motul ever did. What people need to consider is the fact that it only holds 2 quarts and servicing the engine and transmission for 5K miles is asking a lot of just 2 qts of any brand oil. So, I use (good) budget oil and run it no longer than 2K miles before draining it.
Now to address the drain plug.
CLEAN with a brush and a bit of carb spray the plug and crankcase around it BEFORE you remove it. Then, before you reinstall it clean the plug again. Grit in the threads will destroy the threads in the crankcase. I dare say, some who have stripped theirs screwed the threads up with dirt before the one time it actually failed to tightened up. Screw it in with fingers only and torque to 15 ftlbs using a torque wrench. No need to reef it in there as 15ftlbs is plenty tight.
Am I wasting my money? Some say yes, but for me, 2 qts of decent oil isn't gonna break me so I do it.
The next owner of this bike will be getting an engine that has never had black oil in it.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
I replaced with Motul 10W40 full ester synthetic. Ran that for almost 2k miles and sent a sample off to Blackstone Labs. While they said that particular oil was "OK", they noted it had sheared considerably during that short use interval.
I'd really like to read that Motul BSL report.
Could you post it over here? Laboratory Oil Analysis Thread!

I'll bet that one Can NOT find a unit constructed motorcycle engine & oil brand combination that DOESN'T 'shear' the engine oil. BSL's even says 'it usually does no-harm'. You will find both statements in nearly all / if not all reports in this thread, including Mobil 1.

What people need to consider is the fact that it only holds 2 quarts and servicing the engine and transmission for 5K miles is asking a lot of just 2 qts of any brand oil.
Well it doesn't help that with Only 2 Quarts in there, one is actually running more than 1/2qt LOW of Original design fill level!
The flipping Thailand plant even removed the "2.5L" casting near the oil window from the clutch cover molds!
Look at the older bikes, up thru 2010, IIRC.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd really like to read that Motul BSL report.
Could you post it over here? Laboratory Oil Analysis Thread!

I'll bet that one Can NOT find a unit constructed motorcycle engine & oil brand combination that DOESN'T 'shear' the engine oil. BSL's even says 'it usually does no-harm'. You will find both statements in nearly all / if not all reports in this thread, including Mobil 1.

Well it doesn't help that with Only 2 Quarts in there, one is actually running more than 1/2qt LOW of Original design fill level!
The flipping Thailand plant even removed the "2.5L" casting near the oil window from the clutch cover molds!
Look at the older bikes, up thru 2010, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
Ah ha, so it is already in there.
I'll suggest that amount of oil shear / viscosity 'break-down' was Totally with-in reason, compared to mine & others.

How many miles do you have on the bike now? 10,000+ ought to be fairly well polished in. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts

I actually watched a video and I think it was an Australian and how he took action with not being able to get non-ethanol fuel for his classic cars. He got a couple of plastic jugs and used sunlight to distill the ethanol out of his gasoline. I have the feeling eventually the green meanies will introduce this insanity nationwide.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
I actually watched a video and I think it was an Australian and how he took action with not being able to get non-ethanol fuel for his classic cars. He got a couple of plastic jugs and used sunlight to distill the ethanol out of his gasoline.
As I understand it, by removing the alcohol he would have Lowered that fuels Octane rating. I hope he added an Octane Booster before using it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts