Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love/ hate the 12 hour shifts. I work 2 days on, 2 off, three on, three off. It averages out to 42 hours a week but I only work half the days per year. Weird but it works, and having 182 days off a year is kinda nice, and I can take three vacation days n' get a week off:).

Just felt like typing,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
650 Posts
I start my time clock when my butt hits the seat of the truck.. and clock out when I get out of the truck in the drive way.
Sometimes I have to drive out to Gold River near Sacramento. It's close to 2 hours each way. 4 hours actually sitting around there and then I'm gone.
Other sites I have to go to are San Fran (2 Sites)-2 hours drive time, Santa Clara- 4 hours drive time, Pleasanton and Dublin Split by the highway. -2 hours drive time.
I'm usually up at 4:30, and out the door by 6am. Most time I'm home by 1pm.. sometimes noon...sometimes I just "work from home" .
I have weekly meetings with the boss.. sometimes not for weeks. He's up in Seattle. He's a fisherman too.... so you can imagine how our meetings go.. " How's it going there?" Just fine, couple projects should be done next couple days. " Cool... been Fishing?"
Then thats whats on the menu the next hour of the "meeting".

this Pic is my boss.... He came down for a team meeting one day. We hit the lake at noon.

Another time we were on this pond at 11am...."working"...he took the pic.

I've got it pretty good... and he knows the work is done when it needs to be done.. no questions asked.

When I did this to the work truck....

They didnt even ask for a drug test...not that I do drugs or anything.

Sometimes i get to see some neat stuff out while I'm driving to the other sites..

Some... not so neat...

What were we talking about??? oh ! .. yeah.

I used to ride the bike into work quite a bit.

But, now that I'm a one man show and the 5 buildings in Petalama have been sold. I have full use of the work truck.

Yeah.... I got it real good. :35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Glad you're digging it man. Those are rough hours, but you're right. It's all about the tradeoffs. My Uncle works for Chevron 20+ years onsite month on month off all over the worst parts of the world. He loves it. Me, I'd hate it. But he'd last about 15 mins doing what I do.

Good luck with it brother. :35a:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm with you Cheap. I work 12 hour shifts, 3 on 3 off, 4 on 4 off, and when I add in all my vacation time I end up working a little less than half of a calender year. There are better jobs out there, but not out here. That is the greatest benifit for me is being able to live here and live comfortably.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts