Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Kawasaki / multiline dealer today trying to work a deal on a new '18 KLR. Sales person says they aren't budging off full retail. Claimed that this morning they got an email from Kawasaki informing the dealership that there would be no 2019 KLRs and that the line was not going to be in production any longer.

To me it sounds a bit suspicious, but who knows. Anyone else heard a similar remark from a dealer, not interweb rumor, but from a dealer?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I was at my local Kawasaki / multiline dealer today trying to work a deal on a new '18 KLR. Sales person says they aren't budging off full retail. Claimed that this morning they got an email from Kawasaki informing the dealership that there would be no 2019 KLRs and that the line was not going to be in production any longer.

To me it sounds a bit suspicious, but who knows. Anyone else heard a similar remark from a dealer, not interweb rumor, but from a dealer?
Unless you're sworn to secrecy, pdwestman, please inform us of the TRUTH! :)

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
It's too early to tell IMO; lot's of "reliable sources" but no hard proof. ......OTOH, the usual rhetoric we hear every year has definitely ramped up this time.

Dave

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it may be time for a completely new KLR.. I'd love to see it with a better more powerful engine AND injected... Maybe with an improved Verseys engine?? While a thumper has it's place in a trail bike, for a true dual purpose bike that does as much highway as it does in the trails I think a smoother engine would be a plus.. I'd also love to see one with a low range trans for use in the slow off road areas. I know, everyone will say " All you need to do is swap sprockets!" Who wants to swap sprockets when you could simply throw the lever to low range?? This isn't new stuff. WAy back when the manufacturers actually had this in their lower powered trail bikes so they would be both capable of hwy speeds and trail power.. I even had a Honda CB900 with a high/low transmission. How much more could it add to weight and cost?? We're already paying $7K after the addons by dealers for a new old tech bike with under 40HP, so what's another 1000-1500? I'd pay it for a better true dual purpose bike.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I think it may be time for a completely new KLR.. I'd love to see it with a better more powerful engine AND injected... Maybe with an improved Verseys engine?? While a thumper has it's place in a trail bike, for a true dual purpose bike that does as much highway as it does in the trails I think a smoother engine would be a plus.. I'd also love to see one with a low range trans for use in the slow off road areas. I know, everyone will say " All you need to do is swap sprockets!" Who wants to swap sprockets when you could simply throw the lever to low range?? This isn't new stuff. WAy back when the manufacturers actually had this in their lower powered trail bikes so they would be both capable of hwy speeds and trail power.. I even had a Honda CB900 with a high/low transmission. How much more could it add to weight and cost?? We're already paying $7K after the addons by dealers for a new old tech bike with under 40HP, so what's another 1000-1500? I'd pay it for a better true dual purpose bike.
Good post. As far as the tranny goes, I suspect the complexity of a dual range tranny and related issues around weight and expense would make it undesireable; I think a 6 spd tranny and the appropriate final drive would be suffice. There is a limit to how useful a low range would be offroad as most trails/obstacles considered challenging require some speed and momentum to successfully navigate.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, Kawi comes up with; I personally have no desire for a Versys based alternative or anything over 400 lbs for that matter. I'm hoping for an updated "dual purpose" bike just like the KLR/DR/XRL rather than a twin cyl ADV bike (already a ton of them on the market) or a "dirtbike with lights" .

I have my doubts that they'll make something I'd be interested in but in case anyone's listening, this is what I want;

- long travel suspension - decent quality adjustable......something from their older but recent MX parts bin. 9" minimum, 10" = better
- good brakes
- sub 400 lbs - hopefully around 350 wet with fuel.
- decent fuel capacity/range
- quality components; pegs, bars, levers, etc.
- good ground clearance, no low mounted mufflers or oil filters etc. in harms way.

......basically a KTM690R without the weird ergos or fuel tank under the seat and better longevity (which will cost a few lbs). Honda's new XR450L is interesting but it appears to be aimed at the 500EXC rather than the 690R. As it sits today, if I was going to buy a new 2019 bike, it'd likely be a DR650 which would then need a bunch of upgrades....

I could do without ABS, EFI, traction control and all the computer goodies but they'll be on any new bike whether I like it or not!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would certainly appreciate traction control and abs for street, if it could be turned off for dirt, and at similar price point or at least a “budget minded” price point. EFI not so much. I love my carbed bikes, but it’s the way of the EPA to kill them. Both systems have good and bad. At least for as long as I’ll be riding, there will be good used bikes available.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good post. As far as the tranny goes, I suspect the complexity of a dual range tranny and related issues around weight and expense would make it undesireable; I think a 6 spd tranny and the appropriate final drive would be suffice. There is a limit to how useful a low range would be offroad as most trails/obstacles considered challenging require some speed and momentum to successfully navigate.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, Kawi comes up with; I personally have no desire for a Versys based alternative or anything over 400 lbs for that matter. I'm hoping for an updated "dual purpose" bike just like the KLR/DR/XRL rather than a twin cyl ADV bike (already a ton of them on the market) or a "dirtbike with lights" .

I have my doubts that they'll make something I'd be interested in but in case anyone's listening, this is what I want;

- long travel suspension - decent quality adjustable......something from their older but recent MX parts bin. 9" minimum, 10" = better
- good brakes
- sub 400 lbs - hopefully around 350 wet with fuel.
- decent fuel capacity/range
- quality components; pegs, bars, levers, etc.
- good ground clearance, no low mounted mufflers or oil filters etc. in harms way.

......basically a KTM690R without the weird ergos or fuel tank under the seat and better longevity (which will cost a few lbs). Honda's new XR450L is interesting but it appears to be aimed at the 500EXC rather than the 690R. As it sits today, if I was going to buy a new 2019 bike, it'd likely be a DR650 which would then need a bunch of upgrades....

I could do without ABS, EFI, traction control and all the computer goodies but they'll be on any new bike whether I like it or not!

Cheers,
Dave
Agreed that some obstacles do indeed require some speed to negotiate.. That's the beauty of the hi/low. Even in low range you have 5 speeds. But I do like your idea of a 6 speed with an extra low 1st gear. That may well be the answer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
BMW discontinued the LT in 2009 shortly after I bought my 2007. Now I buy a 2017 KLR and Kawasaki kills it a year or two later. Which bike should I buy and kill next? :grin2:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Anyone seen an authentic, genuine, DEATH CERTIFICATE for the KLR?

A DNA-certified CORPSE in the coffin?

Just how RELIABLE are the, "Reliable Sources," proclaiming the KLR's demise?

Rumors of the KLR's passing may be, FAKE NEWS!

While I'm NOT from Missouri, I say: SHOW ME!

Then, I'll join the mourners at the wake, solemnly march in the cortege; perhaps drop a blossom and/or a shovelful of dirt into the grave . . .

I promise, with valid, unimpeachable evidence of the KLR's demise, I will NOT perform a re-enactment of Monty Python's, "Dead Parrot" skit!

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Anyone seen an authentic, genuine, DEATH CERTIFICATE for the KLR?

A DNA-certified CORPSE in the coffin?

Just how RELIABLE are the, "Reliable Sources," proclaiming the KLR's demise?

Rumors of the KLR's passing may be, FAKE NEWS!

While I'm NOT from Missouri, I say: SHOW ME!

Then, I'll join the mourners at the wake, solemnly march in the cortege; perhaps drop a blossom and/or a shovelful of dirt into the grave . . .

I promise, with valid, unimpeachable evidence of the KLR's demise, I will NOT perform a re-enactment of Monty Python's, "Dead Parrot" skit! [QUOTE/]

Did you read the link I posted? ....does that qualify?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sad, I love this bike. I hate lifting it like I did in the parking garage just now because I turned too tight because some dipwad crotch rocket douche was parked in the EXACT middle of two parking spaces so I had little radius available and drop that monster pig bike. This flippin thing is BIGGER when it's laying on the ground if THAT is even possible.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
1) Did you read the link I posted? ....2) does that qualify?
1. Yes.

2. Most respectfully, no. The article says only,
Rumours are circulating the internet which suggest that the legendary Kawasaki KLR650 has been discontinued.
Alleged documentation says KLRs will be available in Australia in 2019, but not in the US. I'd like to see some provenance of the actual document sounding the death knell of KLRs in the USA's future before I acknowledge the termination as a fact.

I need more proof! Otherwise, someone could just make a bogus and fraudulent statement about something allegedly happening in high school 36 years ago . . . :)

Just historically; not the first time rumors have circulated predicting the end of KLRs.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
1. Yes.

2. Most respectfully, no. The article says only, Alleged documentation says KLRs will be available in Australia in 2019, but not in the US. I'd like to see some provenance of the actual document sounding the death knell of KLRs in the USA's future before I acknowledge the termination as a fact.

I need more proof! Otherwise, someone could just make a bogus and fraudulent statement about something allegedly happening in high school 36 years ago . . . :)

Just historically; not the first time rumors have circulated predicting the end of KLRs.
1) good; it wasn't a rhetorical question (just for the record) :)

2) I was referring to the statement; " Model Year 2018 will be the final year of this iconic motorcycle" ....yes it's (allegedly) from Australia and yes, it could be fake.

Agreed; we've heard the same rumors every year for as long as I can remember....still, there is much more "chatter" this year. Time will tell but my guess is she's done.......at least in it's current form.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 101 Posts