Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 KLR650 rolled over 9000 km yesterday. I bought it new in September 2018.
The season is pretty much over here in the north as it could snow any day now. It was
8 degrees C yesterday or about 45F. My insurance runs out in a couple days as well.

Last winter I installed a pair of Metzeler Karoo 3 tires on both ends of the cycle. The rear
is almost worn out with 5000km on it the front is still quite serviceable. I am debating
ordering another Metzeler Karoo 3 for the rear. I also have a pair of Shinko 705s in the shop
for it waiting to be installed.

Last winter I serviced the cycle installed new tires and adjusted the chain. I check the chain before every ride
and it has not stretched at all over the 5000km I put on it this summer. That surprised me. I lubed it with
Maxima Chain Wax maybe three times last summer.

The postal service delivered a Galfer stainless front brake line yesterday. A project for a cold winter night.
Other than an oil change and clean the air filter replace the front brake line and tire or tires the KLR is ready to go.
Too bad winters here last up to 6 months.

Terry

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 2017 KLR650 rolled over 9000 km yesterday. I bought it new in September 2018.
The season is pretty much over here in the north as it could snow any day now. It was
8 degrees C yesterday or about 45F. My insurance runs out in a couple days as well.

Last winter I installed a pair of Metzeler Karoo 3 tires on both ends of the cycle. The rear
is almost worn out with 5000km on it the front is still quite serviceable. I am debating
ordering another Metzeler Karoo 3 for the rear. I also have a pair of Shinko 705s in the shop

Last winter I serviced the cycle installed new tires and adjusted the chain. I check the chain before every ride
and it has not stretched at all over the 5000km I put on it this summer. That surprised me. I lubed it with

The postal service delivered a Galfer stainless front brake line yesterday. A project for a cold winter night.
Other than an oil change and clean the air filter replace the front brake line and tire or tires the KLR is ready to go.

Terry
Winters seem never ending here in Michigan too. Cold weather well into May last couple years

·
Registered
241 Posts

Terry
I get about 3 rear tires to 1 front. I don't know if you want to save the Shinkos or just mount up the rear one and get a replacement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm outside Chicago and it's getting close to the end of the season here, too. Probably got another few weeks before low 40Fs are the high.

I also have Metzler Karoo 3s. They're finished and will be replaced during hibernation. I'm leaning towards the Heidenau K60 Scouts.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
I changed the oil yesterday in preparation for winter but was able to go out for about an hour. Winters can be fickle. I’ve actually rode my bike, at some point, in every month of the year in the 14 years that I’ve owned it. It always sits ready to go in my heated garage. Not too many winter projects planned other than a Gen 2 exhaust header install.

I’m not buying Into this whole climate change scam. Winters are just too long up here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chains really don't stretch much until close to the end of their life. If you find yourself adjusting the chain every couple of rides, start shopping for a new chain and sprockets. It won't be long.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Terry

We in the same boat Terry, mines already parked and it is snowing in Lloydminster as we speak, didn't even get above freezing here today i don't think. Of course mines been parked for three months due to the crash and insuing broken leg. Plastics came today so i could finish re assembling it and it'd be completely done. but, the cold ...lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Im hear on the gulf coast of Texas for the winter. Mine never gets put away, just loaded and unloaded at the next campground.
I feel your pain, as I grew up 53 miles from Canada, and did linework in cold crappy weather.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Im hear on the gulf coast of Texas for the winter. Mine never gets put away, just loaded and unloaded at the next campground.
I feel your pain, as I grew up 53 miles from Canada, and did linework in cold crappy weather.
You lucky Devil!

Lander, WY may get another taste of winter this weekend. One of my dirt bike buddy's invited me to go for a ride this afternoon on our KX500's. Unless he gets called to cover for Covid relief at his job, I'll cut work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, amazing differences - Too Hot to ride today - over 96° in Cali today and Im only 10 miles from the coast. Night ride coming up!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, amazing differences - Too Hot to ride today - over 96° in Cali today and Im only 10 miles from the coast. Night ride coming up!!
High temp in Lloydminster today 30 Deg F

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its 4 degrees here right now and the pavement is dry.
Its supposed to get up to 6 degrees and the sun is supposed to come out this afternoon
I will get out on the KLR later today if the weather holds.

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
My buddy & I got to ride the KX500's in the desert 2 tracks & sand gullies this afternoon. 68F and mostly sunny. 2PM-5PM.
What a hoot for a pair of older dirt bikers!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My buddy & I got to ride the KX500's in the desert 2 tracks & sand gullies this afternoon. 68F and mostly sunny. 2PM-5PM.
What a hoot for a pair of older dirt bikers!!!!!!
and on KX 500's , the ultimate gorilla of dirt bikes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lake George NY here, gateway to the Adirondacks but my KLR is still ready to go.

Soon nighttime temperatures will be below freezing, but some pretty days in the mid 50s. Gen 2 fairing and handguards help a lot in cold temps.
Ducttape on the (oversized) radiator, 10wt oil, tall windshield, warm mitts & boots = 9 mos riding season. Years ago, sheetmetal screws into my knobbies = 12 month riding season!
I’m older & wiser now, though.

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
The trees in my yard are just barely starting to turn color, even at 5300 ft elevation. Usually they would be nearly bare of leaves, by now. This is the second ODD year in a row.

That picture is absolutely vibrant with autumn colors!

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
getting down to 19 deg. F this weekend - KLR's are parked for the season. This weekend, I'll give them a wash then add some Seafoam to the non-ethanol fuel left in the tank, drain the float bowls and call it a day. This winter, the 2000 gets a new black set of Maeir plastics and the 2001 revised jetting and a new silencer (I want to compare the LV X3's sound levels to the Lexx with the trail saver using a db meter) and a fresh D606 rear. I may also replace the enricher with Stead cable-less setups on both bikes.

cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts