Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Besides being too rich for my blood, and far, far too shiny, they're pretty nice.

But all things considered, I'll stick with my Mule (KLR).

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Agreed. They did a good job of making it look like an Indian without making it look dated. But yeah, too shiny, too big, too spendy.

If they're giving them away, I'll take one of each. ;)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
As "Brother Dave" Gardner (q.v.) once said, "You can't do ANYTHING, again!"

He explained, "You can do something SIMILAR, beloved dear hearts, but you can't do anything, AGAIN."

Indians were magnificent for their time and place; re-enacting the marque? Maybe, not so much.

This effort is about the third or fourth, seems like, in recent years, of resurrecting the brand. Good luck on parts and service for the intervening year models.

Now, let's get serious: How about a replica of a vintage Harley; hand-shifted with suicide clutch, kickstart only and all? Hardtail, spring seat?

Nostalgia ain't like it used to be! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
As "Brother Dave" Gardner (q.v.) once said, "You can't do ANYTHING, again!"
He explained, "You can do something SIMILAR, beloved dear hearts, but you can't do anything, AGAIN."
How about a replica of a vintage Harley; hand-shifted with suicide clutch, kickstart only and all? Hardtail, spring seat?
Nostalgia ain't like it used to be! :)
Well said, and fully agree. No matter what is "brought back" it is never really the same. That being said i also would take one of each if they were giving them away.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concur with all the above. In the end, it's just a Polaris Victory and I think enough years have rolled by that, despite all the hype, nobody really cares much about the history/legacy of the original Indian motorcycles anymore. I doubt they'll carve a large niche into that market, although they do seem to have the clothing/accessories lines going full-bore.

On the other hand, I dropped by the local motorcycle/ATV/mower/chainsaw shop yesterday to pick up some hydraulic fluid and filters and saw one of these and thought it was pretty cool:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2012/TU250X.aspx

I will admit, I did enter the sweepstakes for a free Indian. I never win anything, but even if I did, I'd just sell it.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
On the other hand, I dropped by the local motorcycle/ATV/mower/chainsaw shop yesterday to pick up some hydraulic fluid and filters and saw one of these and thought it was pretty cool:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2012/TU250X.aspx
The TU250X appears mighty retro; suddenly, it's the early 1960's!

Yet, the bike has some modern technological features; e.g. fuel injection, and a front disk brake with a double-cylinder caliper . . . then, a DRUM rear brake?????????????

My, my; what WERE they thinking? :)

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yet, the bike has some modern technological features; e.g. fuel injection, and a front disk brake with a double-cylinder caliper . . . then, a DRUM rear brake?????????????

Yeah, I guess they felt appearance was more important than function, but then again on a bike this size, I guess it's probably adequate. I'm actually surprised they produced something like this. When I caught a glimpse of the headlight from afar over a row of bikes, I thought it was an old, restored trade-in.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Yea really. Now Honda did retro right IMHO

·
Banned
277 Posts
I barely spent that much on a car, why would I spend that much on a bike? There's no justification for prices like these, unless they are hand-building them like Rolls Royces.

It's one thing to pay a little premium to get something a little nicer, something tangibly better, something you can only get if you spend that premium.

It's another, sad, desperate thing that tears and sadness are made of to spend so much money where the outcome isn't really tangibly better, or the premium approaches the value of the alternatives entirely - it's the same stuff that small penised men who buy and lift big trucks at an expense equalling the truck or buy Corvettes in their 60's are made of.
Same as people who buy Harley's - and ONLY Harley's - just because their friends all buy Harley's, fear of not fitting in... I'll fit in at all costs! I'll impress these guys, just you see! Oh, it brings back painful memories of elementary school, really. Same immaturity.
It's a head shaker every time I see it.

Personally, it would honestly make me not want to be seen on one of these for fear of that perception.

A competent man can recognize value, and maybe even create it.
An incompetent man only knows how to spend money on someone else's values.

...I feel like there's also a quote available and applicable here to parallel the "it's better to keep your mouth closed and let them think you are stupid, than open it and prove them right". Maybe if you replace that with "open your wallet" lol.

Either way, I don't like to go to my humble bed at night thinking of all the dollars I sent to mansioned executives who laugh all the way to their chauffeured rides to their banks, profiting off of "a fool and their money soon part". Just wouldn't help me sleep at night.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this calls for a re-release of one of halfthrottle's videos for those who may have never seen it before. That guy made some great videos.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Halfthrottle (Ryan Grassely) is also a hell of a nice guy. He helped me with a book trailer. We wrote a song together for one of his vids. ;)

http://youtu.be/4YvYBwBNwhU

He's SUPER talented, too. This is the trailer he made me. It's awesome.

http://youtu.be/PCMy2lsDtWI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts