Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Other routes

Going to get my 2016 KLR today. Still kinda nervous about the interstate
It would be better for both the bike and you to find a non-interstate route. The bike will break-in better and you will be a better rider by using lesser roads and learning more varied conditions . Just my opinion James :mexican wave:

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
When I bought my first bike, a Honda CBX 1000, I was nervous about bringing it home too. Had a friend look after that for me.

There has got to be an alternate route avaialble to you versus taking the Interstate.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
KLRhopeful,
As an inexperienced rider the Interstate route might actually be safer than side streets and back roads. Less starting, stopping, unexpected Left Turning cars, stray dogs, errant kids, etc.
Your clutch, throttle and braking control is probably not yet instinctive. So I suggest the Interstate route is probably the safest at this time, for you.

As to the others concerned about the Break-in of the KLR engine,
I suggest that you try to follow a slower moving larger vehicle. Motorhome, Cement truck or oil burning old VW micro-bus.
Keep something like that fairly close in front of you and the faster traffic will more likely go around both of you.
Double-Tap your front brake lever to just trigger the Brake light if someone seems to be coming up your tail pipe to close.

I'm going to guess that due to urban area the Interstate speed might only be 65 MPH anyways. So if you can alternate between full throttle and trailing throttle to run as slow as 55-60 then accelerate to 65-70, all the while staying behind your chosen 'rolling road block' the engine should be just fine.
Ride safe.

ps, Hope my suggestion is sent early enough.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dude! I've driven those I's down there. If you can avoid them, please do. You gonna have a brand new unit tached out right off or get run over trying to keep the rpm down.

Just keepin' it 100.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Go to u haul, rent a trailer, and trailer it home. Problem solved.
LOL didn't even think that way. Or, if they care about their customer like we do, they'll deliver it for free.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Glad to hear that you survived your first road trip.

Back roads or Interstate?

Now go 'practice, practice, practice' your front braking and emergency lane changing, ie counter-steering. Until both become instinctive and instantaneous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after that ride, how should i be riding the bike now? As far as breaking it in. Tomorrow im riding alot and id like to be treating the bike well

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just drive it normal, don't hot-rod it for a bit, you'll be fine.

Congrats on the new ride!!!

Be safe and ride within your skills, your skills with build with time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I brought mine home in my truck. I havent ridden in a long time and I didnt feel comfortable taking my new bike on a 2.5 hour ride on the PA turnpike just to get it home.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I brought mine home in my truck. I havent ridden in a long time and I didnt feel comfortable taking my new bike on a 2.5 hour ride on the PA turnpike just to get it home.
Your new KLR appreciates this.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
It's a mutual appreciation.
I'm surprised that your nearest Kawasaki Dealer is 2 1/2 hours from your home. You did say PA, with how many cities over 50,000 people?
The entire state of WY has about 585,000 people in 23 counties, only 2 cities over 50,000 people and at least 10 Kawasaki dealerships that I can count off the top of my head.

The state used to have 47 powersports dealerships in total. This number went down after 2008.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm surprised that your nearest Kawasaki Dealer is 2 1/2 hours from your home. You did say PA, with how many cities over 50,000 people?
The entire state of WY has about 585,000 people in 23 counties, only 2 cities over 50,000 people and at least 10 Kawasaki dealerships that I can count off the top of my head.

The state used to have 47 powersports dealerships in total. This number went down after 2008.
It wasn't my nearest, it was my cheapest. Local Harrisburg dealer quoted me like $8000 out the door. I got mine in WV. After I took care of my taxes and tags, I came in just under $6k. They didn't charge bs dealer fees (delivery, prep, or other crap.). My buddy and I hopped in my avalanche and made a day trip out of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts