Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago while perusing through a Rocky Mountain ATV catalog I remember seeing an exhaust called LEXX that I had never heard of before. The specs were good, it looked nice but alas they didn't have it available for the mighty KLR. Well a few weeks ago I was browsing their website and I see they have the LEXX exhaust listed for the KLR. LEXX apperantly is RM/ATV's house brand exhaust and it is a serious bang for the buck. It is made of quality stainless steel and aluminum and is fully tuneable. It even carries a lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship. All of this for a mere $200?? I took the bait and ordered one because I've grown weary of listening to the Jardine (along with several coworkers) that I currently have on my bike. When it showed up on my doorstep I rushed to open it up. I have to say I'm impressed with this muffler. If it sounds half as good as it looks I'm gonna be one happy camper.
More to come after the install.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=3738&navTitle=Exhaust&webTypeId=57&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=19536&allVehParts=true

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hooked the Lexx MXe system on my stock 08 last week but the weather has been bad ever since. It looks good and sounds great. Deeper than stock. Louder than stock but not too loud w/noise reducer in. Probably gonna be way too loud w/o reducer. I might be imagining but my KLR seems stronger. It appears to be good quality stuff... I'll let you know how it holds up.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
That looks great. Any issues with it melting the plastic? Is that a muffler you would have to repack?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Melting?

I haven't had any plastic melt. I rode about 45 mins yesterday but it was below freezing so melting may not occur. There is a place where the front end of the muffler barely touches the bottom of the plastic side panel. I'll probably rig up a little spacer to be safe.

As far as repacking goes, Lexx recommends repacking every 20 - 25 hours. There is a video on Rockymountainatv website that shows how to repack it. This one has Allen screws not rivets so it may not be too bad. So far so good for the Lexx.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Hi SLO -

How did the LEXX tune up? Happy with it?

It sure looks like a good deal.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
20-25 hours per re-pack?
Is that a bit much? I didn't re-pack my KTM dirt bike nearly that much.
That would be re-packing about every month to 5 weeks the way I ride.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20-25 hours per re-pack?
I think that's one of those things you have to take with a grain of salt. I know I won't be repacking mine that often. The Jardine I had I never did repack. I tried to pull the core once but couldn't because of the dent in the bottom after making contact with the brake caliper. The end of the packing showed very little signs wear so I didn't worry about it. I'm sure using the quiet core will wear the packing that w/o it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
20-25 hours per re-pack?
I'm hoping that's a recommendation I can follow about like I follow recommended daily allowances for fiber,fat, exercise, etc. I'll probably pack it when it gets really,really loud or catches fire.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm hoping that's a recommendation I can follow about like I follow recommended daily allowances for fiber,fat, exercise, etc. I'll probably pack it when it gets really,really loud or catches fire.

Yea that's the problem with changing out the stock exhaust. It's louder to begin with and only gets louder because most won't keep the packing fresh.

Loud pipes lose rights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Lexx pipe comes with a noise reducer installed. To me, it is deeper than stock and somewhat louder but not offensive. Even my wife says it sounds good (and she doesn't like loud bikes.) It maybe one of the quietest aftermarket pipes around. SLO's audio clip is pretty accurate. If repacking becomes necessary too often, I'll switch back to my stock tweety.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was checking out different tips and found a red one and about pulled the trigger on the whole thing till the price came up................ the red tip cost almost as much as the pipe! :46:

Still, I am really waiting with anticipation for the video of the final set up you go with!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I was checking out different tips and found a red one and about pulled the trigger on the whole thing till the price came up................ the red tip cost almost as much as the pipe! :46:

Still, I am really waiting with anticipation for the video of the final set up you go with!
Here is a video sound clip of the tip I'm using.
Here is a shot of the available tips. The largest is the 46mm race tip and the smallest is the quiet core. Both of these come with the exhaust.

I am using the second largest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, until I read this clip and listen to the muffler with the silencer tip, I WAS pretty happy with my stock "Tweety" exhaust on my '09!
But, I just ordered mine!:35a:
What the heck!
Now the question, did you have to rejet???
I did the .22 mod, up the jets 1 step,drilled the air box, tossed the snorkle, Thermo Bob's kit, and the Doo when I first got my scoot, (it's got like 1000 miles on it now).
This is my 3rd KLR.
Mine system should be here on the 22nd which is good, by then the ice SHOULD be off the road here in Pa. to ride!
Joe:46:
It just goes to show, no matter how many bikes I own and HOW often I say I'm gonna keep it ALL stock, it never ends up that way.:11a:

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I want one just because it sounds cool, and hides the noisy KLR engine sounds..

1 - 20 of 69 Posts