Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 09 klr 650 yesterday and was wondering if I should put on a thermo-bob before i start riding it,thought it would be better to break it in with that installed.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
If time machines existed, I would put it on first thing.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Not having a Thermo-bob wouldn't stop me from riding it. 99.9% of the KLR's out there were likely broken in without one. Just put it on your "To Do" list, along with the Doohickey of course.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I just picked up my new 09 klr 650 yesterday and was wondering if I should put on a thermo-bob before i start riding it,thought it would be better to break it in with that installed.

You probably allready know this but for the benifit...

One of the more popular oil burning theories is that cooling system is thermally shocking the cylinder liner and warping it. Installing the thermo-bob will stop the temp swings. I would install it before I rode it, might be the difference between having an oil burner or not.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You probably allready know this but for the benifit...

One of the more popular oil burning theories is that cooling system is thermally shocking the cylinder liner and warping it. Installing the thermo-bob will stop the temp swings. I would install it before I rode it, might be the difference between having an oil burner or not.
That's a better way of putting my earlier response. +1

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Spec and LJ - put it on as soon as you can. I have one on my '08 and love it. It had 2000 miles on it when I installed the Bob. Wish I would have done it sooner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say that would be an excellent idea. I wisdh I had done it. I put one on at about 1000 miles, after buying my '08 with 125 miles on it. The T/B made a huge difference, and would make even more if it were in place during the critical break-in period.
robair

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really dumb question

I am two weeks into my klr ownership (08 6,000 miles). What is the bob we're talking about here? Sounds like I need one. How much to buy and install? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am two weeks into my klr ownership (08 6,000 miles). What is the bob we're talking about here? Sounds like I need one. How much to buy and install? Thanks.

Fair question...

Watt_man is the inventor/manufacturer/retailer. Scroll down on his main page for info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thermo-bob

I just got my thermo-bob in the mail today,i'm going to install it this weekend and then its time to break it in,only 1 mile on it!!

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
You're looking at just over $100.

The product is top quality.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to start spending your money go ahead also if you want to start messing around with a brand new bike why not do the doo and a 685 kit etc ,etc.
But all I can say is I have had mine for 4 years and 22000 kms and have changed the oil many times , cleaned the air filter ( many times) and changed the antifreeze once.
So what awfull problems do I have ??... nothing the bike runs and sounds as good as it did when new.
Take it from me ,the only KLR mods that are recommended to do on the internet that should be done are the ones that are free. The so called internet experts are only in it for the money .....
End of rant...:character00271:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Where's my money! :50:

Seriously, a shit ton of testing has been done on the ThermoBob. Check it out. Then make up your own mind. Everyone is just offering their opinions here. I wouldn't tell you to listen to me. I'm wrong a lot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to start spending your money go ahead also if you want to start messing around with a brand new bike why not do the doo and a 685 kit etc ,etc.
But all I can say is I have had mine for 4 years and 22000 kms and have changed the oil many times , cleaned the air filter ( many times) and changed the antifreeze once.
So what awfull problems do I have ??... nothing the bike runs and sounds as good as it did when new.
Take it from me ,the only KLR mods that are recommended to do on the internet that should be done are the ones that are free. The so called internet experts are only in it for the money .....
the thermo-bob is one product that is tested& proven and I know that it is worth the money.It is a quality product that i believe will only add more miles to my klr,I have confidence that it will help with the oil consumption problem.Keeping the coolant temp consitent is very important and I know that the thermo-bob will do that hands down.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I both agree and disagree. :)
I've got 22K miles on my KLR and it runs like it did when I bought it with 1200 miles on it. No Thermobob on my KLR.. It's 53 degrees out right now and I'm riding it to work in a hour.

But the one internet fix that's recommended is the Doo and it's not quite free. (but pretty cheap).. Of the 12-14 Doo's that I've been involved with changing, more than 1/3 had either a broken spring or lever.

While my own KLR had a good doo and spring when I changed them at 6K, with what I've seen in broken parts, I wouldn't risk not changing out to better stuff if I bought another KLR today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I rode my KLR home, next day ordered the do hickey and Thermo Bob kit.'had both on before I had 200 miles.
(Just a little info. I had 100 miles and the Doo came in- the stock spring was all slacked out, alot of play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet Jesus! You think they'd learn?? It HAD to be loose when they installed t at the factory!):confused:
I also did the 22 cent mod while I was waiting for the parts to come in.
I figured I'd do it ALL while it was new. fresh.
This way it's all done, I don't have to worry about sheet!
Plus, it's new and most important-CLEAN!
Joe
Why wait? You know your gonna have to do it anyway?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Why wait? You know your gonna have to do it anyway?
The spring tension issue seems palpable, but . . . don't know of any Generation 2 doohickey (idler shaft lever) failures (aftermarket doohickey definitely has better fit and finish).

Thermo-Bob? Stabilizes coolant more fully and at a higher temperature than stock, but . . . know of no maintenance issues with the stock cooling system, operated within safe limits. An optional modification, IMHO.

Yet; your bike--configure it to suit yourself!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts