Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the new thermostat kit from Wattman's line?

It's smaller/more compact than the ThermoBob and similar to the system I've been using. Nice product and includes a spare thermostat for what seems a very modest cost.

So many great people providing excellent products and services for the KLR650. Talk to people with other bikes and they turn green with envy.:)

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I don't have one but I just checked them out. That is a nice looking unit, very well engineered by the looks of it.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I have the original Thermo-Bob which is a little bulky looking at the 2 version. Certainly happy with the product.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Problem which the original version addressed was that there was no source for a 32 mm 195 degree Fahrenheit thermostat. Those producing these products were forced to use the smallest automotive thermostat available which is much larger so required the big housing.

More involved in designing but that's the nub of it. There are some Chinese scooters which brought out 180 F thermostats but I'd rather have the bigger housing and use a 195 F 'stat than the small one with a 180 F. Now that Bill is able to source 195 F 'stats, the best of both worlds.

I'd like to know 2% of what Bill knows about cooling systems...on reflection I likely do know about 2%. ;-)

Funny, when one sticks his head down for a look, how many bikes lack a bypass system. The make which really has me intrigued is KTM. Why don't they use one...doesn't seem that cost would be the issue. Beats me!

An acquaintance has a KTM dual sport and was interested so may get to do some testing. The effects of thermal stratification are enough to make one's eyes bug out in many cases.

Take a KLR650 cylinder, run a dial bore gauge and take taper & out of round. Then stick on a head gasket, place washers under the cylinder bolt holes and use nuts to torque to specs. Now run the bore gauge and tell me that doesn't get your attention!

Take the assembly and invert the head portion only into a tub of near boiling water. Then take taper and out of round while it heats up. Makes the case for the T-bob and also forces one to question those who claim that boring or even finish honing a KLR650 cylinder doesn't require torque plating or heating to operating temperature.

I'd need to see the measurements to accept, not that they are wrong, but that there isn't a concern. I do know that one can finish hone some bike cylinders and develop enough heat distortion from the honing to be significant.

FWIW, unless someone like Wattman declares to the contrary, don't install a 180 F or 195 F in an KLR which doesn't have a bypass system. The thermal shock could take out the head gasket, judging from some of the automotive systems...

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
So, that is 'why', you've been in close contact with Watt-man.
Very nice!

EVERY KLR, which does NOT YET, have the 'Original Thermo-Bob', should get one of the 'Thermo-Bob 2's', In My Honest Opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

Multiple Benefits, Easier Install, From a trusted KLR Enthusiast/Supplier.

Good job on 'finding the source', NormK.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen the Tbob 2 in person at the last EM Tech day. It mounts up directly to the cylendar head where the stock thermostat is and looks like it was from factory, very incognito. Thinking of getting a tbob2 to replace my tbob1 just to declutter the radiator area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts