Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my first KLR 2 weeks ago. A 2008 with 11000 miles. It already has a Thermo-Bob (the original one that is cut into the rad hose on it + the temp gauge over lay.
Here is my question. The temp gauge go up setting in traffic to around 210 never up to the red, and cool to around 190 when I start to move is that normal?

Thanks for your help
Tom

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
No problem, if the coolant doesn't boil, and the needle doesn't go into far red zone, IMHO. [Assuming correct operation of electric cooling fan.]

Thermo-Bob or not, after the thermostat opens, the bike is at the mercy of coolant circulation and radiator airflow, two parameter unaffected by Thermo-Bob implant.

I said, AFTER thermostat opens, thermodynamic considerations remain essentially the same, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Here is my question. The temp gauge go up setting in traffic to around 210 never up to the red, and cool to around 190 when I start to move is that normal?

Thanks for your help
Tom
tntom,
That is Exactly the proper operation of the Themo-Bob.
Comes up to cooling fan switch On set point. Fan runs until coolant temp falls under fan switch OFF set point. Perfect.

Engine oil lubricates better, stays cleaner longer. Engine runs more efficiently, gets better fuel economy, last longer.

When the bike is in motion, the cooling fan does not usually run much, except a slow road speeds.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Agree; operation seems within normal range, to me.

With or without a Thermo-Bob, electric cooling fan activates at 201 degrees F., deactivates at 196 degrees F. (Generation 1 [per Clymer], temperatures of thermal switch at bottom of radiator).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just bought my first KLR 2 weeks ago. A 2008 with 11000 miles. It already has a Thermo-Bob (the original one that is cut into the rad hose on it + the temp gauge over lay.

Thanks for your help
Tom
That's exactly correct. Unlike most cars, bikes are typically equipped with a real-time gauge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys. I didn't know the bike had a Thermo bob till I got on here and saw about them. I was ready to order and thought I better go look and there it was. One time I did something right (-:

Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Guys. I didn't know the bike had a Thermo bob till I got on here and saw about them. I was ready to order and thought I better go look and there it was. One time I did something right (-:

Tom
I see you're in Knoxville. I was up their in 88 house sitting for an NFL player back then. I love that place, beautiful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts