Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb with a question in regard to the "Thermo Bob" and those of you that have them.
For the most part the cooling system on my '05 works as it should and winter temps have been O.K. The summer temps can vary alot and the cooling fan seems to come on as it should and as needed.
But, I have seen it relatively high temps while sitting in summer traffic and have read that the Thermo Bob will help reduce the temperature variations some.

Most of the reading on this thing seem to indicate a benifit in cool weather riding and some (not that many)say that there is a hot weather benifit as well.

Could anyone with this mod. chime in and let me know what their experiance/results have been and if it is money well spent?

Thanks in advance,

turbod98

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
My experience is that the KLR runs at a steady temperature regardless of the ambient temperature (within reason). I don't see the temperature fluctuations that I did previously. The gauge sits rock steady just past center for me. I don't do much stop and go traffic type riding. Anything will run hot then. At that point the Thermo Bob isn't doing much more than passing water as the thermostat is wide open. Really no different than the stock setup.
Is it worth it. I think so. A motor that runs at a steady temp will last longer and is more efficient.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one on my bike. And it works great. But i live in Minneasota. So i ride a lot in cold weather. It keeps my motor at a good operaying temperture.Like KlR4ever said that is better For the motor. It will keep the motor from runing to cold. But it will not stop it from getting hot. My motor loves its ther-mo bob.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,

I am going to keep my eyes open with regard to pricing on these things and may order one soon.
May combine it with the "Doo" job and a couple of other upgrades I would like to do.

To others with the unit installed, please continue to post as I would like to hear more from others' experiances.

THX

turbod98.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As far as hot weather goes, the benifit of the thermo-bob is it's got about twice as much flow than the stock thermostat. That lets more water flow through the system. That makes for more efficient cooling. The way the t-bob is set up with the bypass lets the cooling system respond more like an automotive cooling system. Think about it like this, when's the last time you saw your car's temp needle swing all over the place ...... Unless you have cooling system issues, that answer should be never. The t-bob does the same thing. I know a rider that had one on his out in Moab and he never saw any major swings in temp unlike non t-bobbed bikes that did see major swings while doing tight technical, slow trails.

I put one on and love it. Best $115 I ever spent on the KLR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts