Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on another forum about a fella who installed a thermobob on his KLR and shortly afterward overheated his bike. Now there's lots more to the story and I'm still not convinced that the thermobob was the culprit. So, my question is....Has anyone ever had a problem or heard of any problems with a thermobob?

I have a new 09 that I'm planning on installing the BOB before spring. I guess I have another question. My bike has ZERO miles on it. Yup, never been riden. Should I put the bob on or should I ride the bike a bit to see what the temps are like and then put it on after a little riding?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've never read or heard anything bad, and yeah, if it were me I'd put it on before I put 5 miles on. Good for break in.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
I followed the development of the t-bob from the time it was being prototyped - before I even owned a KLR, as I recall. I didn't put one in until a couple of weeks ago.

All that time I was waiting to hear if there were long term problems with the thing. I never heard anything negative from a long term perspective.

So, what Lockjaw said.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
No reason to be concerned about the Thermobob.

If you read what the complainer posted there is little to substantiate his claim. When asked specifc questions he could not provide a direct answer. I believe he installed it without instructions (that were sent to him). Too many things to mention and not worth the negativity. The end result is the complainer returned the product and refunded the price.
The seller is an excellent person, builds a bulletproof product, and is available for help if needed. The well priced Thermobob is worth every dollar you will pay for it.
The complainer is a good forum participant and usually a lot of fun with good advice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
A number one mistake of someone who isn't too mechanically inclined is when flushing and refilling, the owner doesn't get all the air out of the coolant system then gets a overheating situation due to air in the system. I see quite a few home mechanics break tools because they don't know how to use them. Experience counts for a lot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys. This particular instance from the other forum wasn't enough to make me not install the thermobob, but it was enough to question if anyone else had experienced troubles. I usually do a lot of investigating on new gadgets to play with and this was THE ONLY time I've heard anything closely negative related to the thermobob. (And like I said before, I think there's something else going on than direct involvement with the thermobob.) I just wanted to put it out to this group to see what I could learn.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. This particular instance from the other forum wasn't enough to make me not install the thermobob, but it was enough to question if anyone else had experienced troubles. I usually do a lot of investigating on new gadgets to play with and this was THE ONLY time I've heard anything closely negative related to the thermobob. (And like I said before, I think there's something else going on than direct involvement with the thermobob.) I just wanted to put it out to this group to see what I could learn.
You are a smart person for investigating new purchases.

The Thermobob is not a gadget though something Kawasaki does not include at the factory where most other factory's do. You won't be disappointed.

Now about the Doohickey, 685 kit, new seat, 320 front brake rotor,... WTF! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, the thermobob and doohickey were on the automatic list from the get go. I think I'll run the bike a bit and see what the oil consumption is like. That will determine how fast I go after the 685. The seat will also be determined after a bit of ride time. I hate to say it, but the real factor may be my bike fund. Some of the "other" things will probably have to wait for the next year.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Because I am lazy, could someone please tell me who is selling the Thermo-Bob?

Please don't say Eagle Engineering because I just called him yesterday morning to order a rotor puller wrench to do the Doo.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Because I am lazy, could someone please tell me who is selling the Thermo-Bob?

Please don't say Eagle Engineering because I just called him yesterday morning to order a rotor puller wrench to do the Doo.
Eagle maunfactures the parts and Bill assembles, sells and supports the Thermo-bob. You won't regret your purchase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had the thermo bob installed for about six months with no issues. I ride year around in all weather conditions and it keeps the bike at a constant temp. I have noticed my bike always smells like coolant now. There are no leaks and the radiator is full (no air bubbles). Anyone know why it does that?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have had the thermo bob installed for about six months with no issues. I ride year around in all weather conditions and it keeps the bike at a constant temp. I have noticed my bike always smells like coolant now. There are no leaks and the radiator is full (no air bubbles). Anyone know why it does that?
Check the radiator cap and overflow tank for a good seal. If not there is a small leak somewhere. Or...did you spill coolant on your riding jacket or gloves?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Eagle maunfactures the parts and Bill assembles, sells and supports the Thermo-bob. You won't regret your purchase.
In case this came across wrong, what I meant was that since I JUST called him to order that wrench, I could have ordered both items at the same time, not that I dislike his products.;)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
In case this came across wrong, what I meant was that since I JUST called him to order that wrench, I could have ordered both items at the same time, not that I dislike his products.;)
No problem and was not taken that way. By his choice, Bill is the only person that sells and ships his Therm-bob. This probably makes it easier for shipping and support issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My new 09 doesnt seem to warm all the way up, granted I havent ridden above 30 degrees yet. So I decided to order the Thermo Bob, I was immediately sent the directions. Great photos, looks pretty clear as to what needs to be done. Any warnings or added input? Things to watch for? Ive been meaning to pull the tank anyway to check fasteners and get some locktight in there, looks like a good time to get her done.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
How do ya get all the air out of the system when doing the Thremo bob ?
I fill the radiator to the top, put cap on, run engine about 30 seconds. Check coolant level, start and run until thermostat opens. [about 200 degrees] Shut engine down and let cool. Top off coolant in radiator, then the overflow tank. Re-cap and run up to thermostat opens again, shut down, let cool, and check coolant level. I've had to do this as many as four times to get all air from the system. Sometimes it happens the first time. YMMV. Fluctuations in temperature reading on the temp gauge are usually an indication that air is still in the system.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
How do ya get all the air out of the system when doing the Thremo bob ?

Start up the bike without the radiator cap on. When it's circulating squeeze the hoses you can get to. Add coolant as needed until it stays topped off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Start up the bike without the radiator cap on. When it's circulating squeeze the hoses you can get to. Add coolant as needed until it stays topped off.
Been doing this for years. It works.

Kinda funny but I thought I invented that one day many years ago in my garage. My Camaro had some air in the cooling system so I had the bright (or so I thought) idea of squeezing the hoses to force the air out. It worked and I been doing it for years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts