Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
The T2 wasn’t available yet and I liked the mounting arrangement of the ProCycle version better. T1 was a blob hanging in the rad hose. Since I first read about the Thermobob here on this forum I would have preferred to follow your lead.
I empathize; I avoided installing T bobs on my Gen1's until the T bob 2 was released - a much cleaner install IMO than the original.

Dave

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
The T-bob and the ProCycle units are significantly different as the T-bob thermostat hangs in an enclosure on the hose but the ProCycle mounts in an extended housing where the stocker goes. ProCycle includes a 180 deg thermostat.
Are the ProCycle brand of radiator by-pass kits still being sold with the 180F thermostat?

Or have they up-graded to the 195F thermostat that is Finally being produced in China in the proper oem KLR size.

Living in a higher altitude, cooler climate the 195F thermostat would be most beneficial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to their website it’s still a 180. In my experience this is still too low. Although I didn’t scientifically measure, I don’t perceive any difference in warmup time or operating temp since installation...same old wild swing. I’m glad to hear there is now a 195 stocker available.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
According to their website it’s still a 180. In my experience this is still too low. Although I didn’t scientifically measure, I don’t perceive any difference in warmup time or operating temp since installation...same old wild swing. I’m glad to hear there is now a 195 stocker available.
I'll suggest that you should use the 195F Watt-man Thermo-Bob 2 thermostat in the ProCycle radiator By-pass assembly if possible.
Better yet, purchase the Watt-man Thermo-Bob 2 in the first place. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, I’ll order the thermostat from Watt-man. Too bad his gen 2 wasn’t available when I installed mine.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
Out of curiosity, will the 180º pro-cycle thermostat fit into watt-mans thermo bob?
Yes, it will. It is the stock KLR thermostat and the thermostats that watt-man uses are identically sized to the OEM.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Out of curiosity, will the 180º pro-cycle thermostat fit into watt-mans thermo bob?
Yes, it will. It is the stock KLR thermostat and the thermostats that watt-man uses are identically sized to the OEM.
To the best of my knowledge, the ProCycle 180F thermostat is the same OD as the stock oem KLR 160F thermostat.

But unless you are riding the Sahara Desert ALL the Time, I wouldn't suggest it.

Remember that the designer of the Thermo-Bob lives in Scottsdale, AZ. And his bike has over 160,000 miles on it with the Thermo-Bob 195F thermostat.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the ProCycle 180F thermostat is the same OD as the stock oem KLR 160F thermostat.

But unless you are riding the Sahara Desert ALL the Time, I wouldn't suggest it.

Remember that the designer of the Thermo-Bob lives in Scottsdale, AZ. And his bike has over 160,000 miles on it with the Thermo-Bob 195F thermostat.
Doubtless (or at least, little doubt) this aspect has been discussed before (don't remember content or context); what is good, bad, and/or ugly about . . . installing a higher-temperature-than-stock thermostat (180 degrees, 195 degrees) in an otherwise STOCK KLR???????????

In the bad old days, when there was ice and snow (and maybe a, "Ho! Ho! Ho!"), folks installed "WINTER" thermostats, replacing the stock thermostats in the liquid-cooled internal combustion engines powering their vehicles. (Consideration may be irrelevant, since in a few years we won't have any internal combustion engines whatsoever (and no cows, either).)

If such a measure were taken on a KLR, would the act comprise ENGINE ABUSE? If so, HOW? The heartbreak of, "thermal shock?"

("Inquiring minds want to know!")

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I'm glad I read to the end .I'm from Canada and was trying to get out of the extra charges for delivery from the States but I'm going to because that's my best option again thanks for the info

21 - 31 of 31 Posts