Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this, I'm sure there will be many more.

- Trash trucks. I was following one on the freeway and a big metal sign blew out. Luckily it fell just in front of me and I simply ran over it. Had I been hit broadside, or on the sharp, you get the picture.

- Any dual wheeled vehicle. Had been following one for sometime and was stopped at a light to see a rock the size of a football wedged between the tires.

- 18 Wheelers. Size aside, ever seen a re-cap part company with the tire? Ugly.

- Any car with hadicrapped plates sporting a chrome fish stuck to the trunk lid on Sunday. Or any other time for that matter, but Sunday's seem the worst.

Bring 'em on.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, those are good, flash...all on my list. Also:

- Landscaper trucks or anything with a lot of shit tied on...or piled on.
- Those rental Mobile Homes...twice...people do not know how to drive them.
- Also U-hauls...any big rental vehicle.
- Beat to shit cars...big red flag.
- Giant SUV's.
- Cabs.
- Buses.
- Cars with a lot of bumper stickers....heard this somewhere and have since noticed it....weird phenomenon.
- Young drivers.
- Old drivers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out here in Idaho folks tell ya to watch out for old men wearing hats, keep an eye on them.

Worse than that are old women wearing hats, give them a lot of space.

But the worst of all are old men wearing women's hats. If ya see that you
better take a different route.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on the landscape trucks. A while back here a group of riders at night were in a wreck involving a truck that had lost a landscape timber, actually a RR crosstie. Terrible, a life was lost.

Scan ahead, way ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"But the worst of all are old men wearing women's hats. If ya see that you
better take a different route."

Bwaaahaaa. Good one!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cellpones/eating/etc.
Out of state plates...don't know the area as well.
Cars with dogs...especially lap dogs in the driver's lap.
Car's with kids in them...distracted driver.
Cars with GPS or some other screen in front of the driver.
You can tell a lot about the personality of the driver from bumper stickers, etc.
Older model cars.
I'll keep thinking. I've given this a lot of thought over the years. I like to have an ace up my sleeve if possible.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Oh yeah, and BigIron hit the nail on the head of course, still I think it is useful to stack the odds. (I don't gamble...just feeling the gambling cliches tonight i guess.) :18:

There are definitely vehicles I look out for more than others.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Two things to remember...
...you are invisible
...they are drunk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Carefully watch:

Anyone driving a Swedish car.

Anyone driving a 300 and up series Benz or 700 series BMW. This goes double for any minority driving an Escalade or any of the above, and doubles again for females. I'm near Detroit, so I know from experience.

Anyone driving an old beater with a paper license stuck in the back window along with evidence there have been 50 more paper licenses stuck there previously. He doesn't have valid insurance.

Anything that smells like hot rubber. You are setting yourself up to eat a tire tread when it flies off that gravel train ahead.

Ford Crown Vics or Lincoln Town Cars. Especially those with WWII veteran license plates and handicapped tags hanging from the mirrors.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dude...sexism and racism in one post. Pace yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
You forgot unpatriotic.

That Crown Vic is gonna be law enforcement waiting for you to pass them so they can pull you over. Look for dual exhaust, slightly raised suspension, and no hub caps.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't dally too long behind a cattle truck. Let's just say the effluent produced by twenty or more cows can be pretty messy at high speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Facts are facts. C'mon up here, and I'll give you a tour that'll make your hair stand on end. The Detroit Grand Prix starts at 10PM sharp every Saturday night on the city's freeways. Body armor optional.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ANY larger vehicle - drivers will edge into the right lane without realizing it.
Any vehicle towing a trailer - give them a wide berth!
Any vehicle driven by a college kid - they DON'T know how to drive!
Any beat-up pickup truck - they don't care what they hit.

Road hazards I have encountered...

Possums, dead and alive.
2X4 or any other lumber.
Concrete chunks.
Plywood (fortunately flat on road).
Dogs - they are abominibly STUPID.
Balled up string, wire, etc. This can entangle your wheels!
Stuffed cushions, pillows, etc - fallen from folk's moving trucks.
Bras.... don't concentrate on them..... gave up figuring out why they are in the road.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Pieces of exploded truck tires

·
Registered
96 Posts
Add to my list - a burst trashbag full of what looked like half-eaten greasy burger garbage strewn across the road, on a curve - very bad JUJU for a KLR with knobbed tires!!!
I don't know how I kept it up, but the pickup truck following close behind me was darned good inspiration!!! :0:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Down here those are called "Road gators"....... :)
Out west they are called "common" too common. The scary ones are the ones that surprise you as they appear from under the car/truck in front of you.

A couple of weeks ago I was dealing with "tar snakes" when I came upon a "tar sheet". It had to be a 3'x4' patch that I slid through front tire first. scary when you are not expecting it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts