Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy right here.

Should I be worried about the faded plastic as a sign of neglect? Considering this is a Cleveland owned bike, the rust is minimal as far as I can tell. I'm relatively new to motorcycles (have only owned two over the course of 5 years) and I figured you all might know what to look for specifically when I go check this out!

Thanks for any tips, sorry for a boring post, lol.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Faded plastics are a fact of life with all of the Gen 1 bikes, the reds are the worst.

I would look under the engine at the engine oil drain plug and ask for the owner to remove the air filter to confirm that it is well-oiled.
READ THIS thread, DPelletier's common new KLR owner mistakes to avoid

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
For my needs, I want a solid workhorse of a bike, and I am willing to put up with some cosmetic challenges. If your needs are similar, there you go.
Short answer, No, there is nothing off-putting in terms of the fading. Price is not out of line, and 12k miles is IMHO low mileage for a KLR.

The red plastics are very susceptible to fading caused by UV exposure. For the Gen-1 bikes, the KLR650 went through very minor technical changes, and the '05 is as good as any other year. If it rides smooth and shifts and accelerates well, no reason to reject this one.

Maybe see if you can negotiate a few hundred off the price, just to cover maintenance. There's a resource on here about new-owner guide. Regardless of which used bike you end up with, that new-owner guide can help you get all maint reset and then ride your bike with confidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Faded plastics are a fact of life with all of the Gen 1 bikes, the reds are the worst.

I would look under the engine at the engine oil drain plug and ask for the owner to remove the air filter to confirm that it is well-oiled.
READ THIS thread, DPelletier's common new KLR owner mistakes to avoid
Glad the fading is usual... tbh I don't mind that it's a little on the pink side. Will check the oil plug and the air filter oil - thanks! (And I'll read that whole thread)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my needs, I want a solid workhorse of a bike, and I am willing to put up with some cosmetic challenges. If your needs are similar, there you go.
Short answer, No, there is nothing off-putting in terms of the fading. Price is not out of line, and 12k miles is IMHO low mileage for a KLR.

The red plastics are very susceptible to fading caused by UV exposure. For the Gen-1 bikes, the KLR650 went through very minor technical changes, and the '05 is as good as any other year. If it rides smooth and shifts and accelerates well, no reason to reject this one.

Maybe see if you can negotiate a few hundred off the price, just to cover maintenance. There's a resource on here about new-owner guide. Regardless of which used bike you end up with, that new-owner guide can help you get all maint reset and then ride your bike with confidence.
I'm absolutely cool with cosmetic imperfections as long as they aren't telling of other negligence. In fact, I find it takes a good deal of mental pressure off, especially when I eventually get it out on trips. Brand new shiny objects are scary to me.

Thanks for your point of view! I'll check out the new owners manual if I end up getting this. Heck I'll most likely have all winter to reset the maintenance on it.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I find the faded red plastic are a bit "off-putting" and it should be represented in the sale price. It was for my red 2006 when I bought it 3 years ago. Like others said, it is normal for these red plastics to fade badly and it is not an indication for the state of the rest of the motorcycle.
There are now non-oem replacement plastics available. Also, while it takes a lot of work, I have been able to restore the faded plastics by scraping/wet-sanding off the chalky outer layers and restoring the red color. It is now 2 years since I did that and it is getting to the point where a couple of the parts could use just a little work again.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
It looks like a good deal to me.

It has a centerstand, bark busters, headlight screen, SS braided brake lines, aftermarket muffler (be sure to get the original muffler if he still has it), saddlebags and tank bag, and the tire tread looks good in the pics. Check the chain. Make sure it starts easily from cold, and warms up in a couple minutes so it runs well with no choke. Of course make sure it handles, brakes, and runs well, and the oil plug isn’t leaking from over tightening.

You can try to negotiate a few hundred bucks off the price, but even at the asking price I’d grab it before someone else does.

Ask if the doohickey has been changed (wirh receipts) and any other work. Budget for changing the doohickey over the winter if not already done (about $150, all in).

Then ride the snot out of it for the next couple weeks before the weather in Cleveland goes to winter, so you know what to work on over the winter, and be ready for spring. Unless he just changed the oil, figure on replacing the oil, filter, coolant, and brake fluid, so that you know everything is fresh.

BTW, don’t listen to chrider. Women love “pink” KLRs, so don’t get motivated to paint it. 🤣

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
<..>

BTW, don’t listen to chrider. Women love “pink” KLRs, so don’t get motivated to paint it. 🤣
Yup - My red KLR is definitely a dude and not a chick magnet. The ratio is about 10 to 1.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
I wouldn't classify faded plastic as neglect or unique to red plastic. The green fades just as badly. It's a sign that the bike has likely spent its life outdoors. Inspect the black plastic, particularly the signal lights, as they will be faded or even cracked from UV exposure. My 04 in red looks just as good today as when it rolled out of the dealership door, the difference being garage kept and seasonally waxed.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
I wouldn't classify faded plastic as neglect or unique to red plastic. The green fades just as badly. It's a sign that the bike has likely spent its life outdoors. Inspect the black plastic, particularly the signal lights, as they will be faded or even cracked from UV exposure. My 04 in red looks just as good today as when it rolled out of the dealership door, the difference being garage kept and seasonally waxed.
You must be the only person on earth who waxes a KLR. 🤣

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
You must be the only person on earth who waxes a KLR.
Nope - I have two brothers, each with a KLR, and they suffer the same malady. :LOL::LOL:

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Seems to be working though.

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Fuel tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, my dudes. Those are some terrific looking Kaws! I officially bought the thing, have been riding it around town and everything is going smoothly. The guy practically gave me an entire briefcase of receipts and documentation of work done since he bought it in 2005. Doohickey changed, regular oil changes and maintenance by a professional, and all that jazz. Glad to be part of the club!

The guy did mention I might need to do something relatively soon, within a thousand miles or so... trying to remember what he said. Something with the cylinder? I shoulda written it down, but I'll shoot him a message and double check. What maintenance do you guys do every 6k miles or so? That's how often he said this thing gets done 😅

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
What maintenance do you guys do every 6k miles or so? That's how often he said this thing gets done
Probably cylinder Head Valve tappet clearance inspection & re-shim/re-adjust as needed.

Many of us older riders have learned to extend that interval to 10,000 miles, provided that we Never find an Air Filtration issue. Foam air filter MUST Be Thoroughly Oiled after cleaning!!!!
And occasionally look at the underside of the air box for any possible exhaust MELT hole!

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Guessing he may be thinking valve adjustment.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 20 of 27 Posts