Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the Suzuki M50 Limited. I'm thinking about getting one of these for riding around Montana on the super slab. It would be used for riding 2-up on mostly straight highways between 75-80 mph. I though about the wee-strom, but think it is too much like the KLR in style and I am looking for something different than that...Doug

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I know nothing about the M50, but I did buy the wee-Strom for the same reason you are looking at the M50.

So far I have two complaints with the wee.

1) The top box that was mounted on it when I bought it needs to be moved back 2 inches.

2) The center stand drags on hard bumps. (my wee had been lowered)

When I correct these two things I think the wee will be the perfect two up bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dougly,

The Suzuki M50 is a great 800 cc cruiser style motorcycle. Here's dyno chart on the bike.

Also, here's a link to Motorcycle Cruiser's Review of the M50.

Motorcycle Cruiser M50 Review

Cruiser style motorcycles are kind of like "time machines". They go back to the early roots of motorcycling. Kind of cool styling and very interesting style of motorcycle.

My personal opinion would be that if you're looking for a motorcycle to do 2-up slab riding with, you might not like the M50. It is a bit underpowered for what you intend to do with it. I might look for a used Kawasaki Mean Streak.

Comparing 11 Big Bore Cruisers.

I've ridden a Mean Streak before. One fantasic bike! It has to have some of, if not the best brakes, I have ever encountered on a cruiser. The bike weighs about 635 pounds, but you would never guess that by the balance of the bike. It's just so easy to control and ride. The newer 1600 cc bike is even better. However, the 1500 cc bikes are available now for about the same price as you would pay for a new C50.

I mean, ya' gots to love . . . . T O R Q U E ! ! !

Of course, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dougly said:
I though about the wee-strom, but think it is too much like the KLR in style ....
Woah! There cowboy. I beg to differ on the "too much like the KLR in style"... :lol: :eek:

I have had my wee strom for 3 weeks now. This bike is nothing like the KLR. Take one for a ride and you won't look back...

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
firefighter_joe said:
dougly said:
I though about the wee-strom, but think it is too much like the KLR in style ....
Woah! There cowboy. I beg to differ on the "too much like the KLR in style"... :lol: :eek:

I have had my wee strom for 3 weeks now. This bike is nothing like the KLR. Take one for a ride and you won't look back...

Joe
+1! ;-)

Keep in mind with the "wee" you can still do some mild off-road. Personally, I think my wee handles gravel and loose dirt better than my KLR did. The only time you miss a KLR is when you get into the terrain and rocks that get as big as soccer balls. And, though sand is likely difficult on any bike.. the wee isn't geared as low as the KLR and that makes it a bit more of a challenge in the soft sand.

Nothing wrong with these cruiser bikes.. look cool and probably fun to ride. I just wouldn't want to have to turn around everytime I came across some gravel, and mild off-road terrain.

Like Joe says, the proof is in the test ride. Personally, I didn't like the strom.. didn't like the looks.. and looked to street-oriented to me for my taste. BUT, after a couple test rides I was sold. I even actually like the way it looks now. :)

Looks are really deceiving on this bike. You're up in a simular riding position as the KLR, but more comfortable, and MUCH more nimble on the street. Plus the fact you can hang just fine on mild off-road.. makes it a winner for my riding style. If I was just doing a few miles of pavement, and then spending most of the day on dirt.. I might have a different opinion. But the reality is, if you're on pavement more than dirt... you're doing yourself a disservice by not at least test riding one. They're not for everyone for sure. But, all I know is that I was pleasantly surprised at the range the wee can handle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A cruiser might not be as comfy for a long trip as you might imagine. Some love 'em some don't. If you like the more upright riding position you might look at some of the sport tourers. The Concours comes immediately to mind. And if you can find someone who will sell one, a Blackbird is a remarkably comfortable bike with a huge tank and it makes 'Busas sweat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
joeinthesnow said:
A cruiser might not be as comfy for a long trip as you might imagine. Some love 'em some don't. If you like the more upright riding position you might look at some of the sport tourers. The Concours comes immediately to mind. And if you can find someone who will sell one, a Blackbird is a remarkably comfortable bike with a huge tank and it makes 'Busas sweat.

Concours? Just because it's a proven, bullet-proof 20 something year old design where nothing ever breaks on, why would anyone want a bike like that? :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot, I have a 1986 in the garage that just keeps on running along. From what I've heard from other riders, I still have about 150,000 miles until it fully breaks in!

I'd have to say it's one of the best buys on the market at this time. Comes with very nice lockable hard luggage. There's a lot of support out there for the old gal.

I would look at buying one with the most amount of "accessories" on it with the lowest mileage. There are those that like to buy bikes, ride them a little and dress them up a lot.

Which year to buy? All are good bikes, but in 1994 the Concours when through it's one and only update. They went to a wider front tire, bigger rotors, dual piston calipers, round gauges, updated front suspension and chrome mufflers. A very nice example of this bike should cost about $2800.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I might look at the Concours also, since that is the bike I went to buy when I ended up with the KLR. Both bikes sitting on the showroom floor and before I bought the Connie I sat on the KLR and told the salesman I'd be back in an hour to pick it up...lol...Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Doug, a coworker here just bought a 800cc suzuki cruiser and he's pretty happy with it. The prices on those bikes are also pretty good. I wouldn't mind having a cruiser as a second bike either, i really like the looks of the Kawasaki Mean Streak, although it doesn't appear to be set up for long haul cruising.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I owned a Suzuki VX800 which is the same basic power plant in an upright standard chassis.

Now I am not what one would call small (6'5" 250+ lbs) and Ogrespouse is 5'8" and average build so this may not apply based on your size(s) but 2 up on this bike was a bit tough on it.

The bike made nice power 1 up, but I really noticed the load 2 up and the chassis was pretty well max out.
I did not care for the highway on the 800, I was always looking for another gear and a bit less buzzing.
This M50 has EFI so maybe a bit more power and I cant tell what the chassis is, but look at the GVW and check this against your own load.

I have found I prefer a 1000cc + bike for my 2 up loads and highway travel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You might want to wait for the 2008. Go check out the Kawi site. Kawi has been redesigning quite a few bikes and it looks like the Concours has been kicked right up into the 21st century. It's a darn good looking bike. I will definitely handle two up and still allow you to get close to the 200mph mark. I just went over to see if it was still in production because every year I hear it's been discontinued (for the last 10 years or so :lol: ) Kawasaki is not all that prone to discontinue or change bikes that have such a loyal following. The concours doesn't look like that boxy '80s stuff anymore. I'm drooling!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last time I was at the local Kawasaki shop they had a really nice 2001, I think, Concours. I am thinking about going down there and seeing if they still have it. The plus for this bike is that its blue, my favorite color...Doug

edit: I won a Jeep, I don't mind boxie :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats on winning a Jeep, WOW.

I love the 2001 blue Connie too, I was hoping to find a good deal on one when I stumbled on my GSX.
You cant go wrong with the Connie. I owned mine for years and its a great over the road machine and a nice 2 up rig.
Even today when I see one I still like the looks of the Connie and the bags are great. I would pick that over an 800 Suzuki cruiser any day for the riding you described.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You dyslexic are, understand do I. :?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ogre said:
You dyslexic are, understand do I. :?
"hmmmm...strong with the Force, this one is...." in a Yoda kinda voice...

?Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke... Luke... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will. Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is... another... Sky... walker.?

Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I went by the Kawasaki shop tonight and the Concours is gone, so thats out. Went by the Suzuki shop and wasn't as impressed with the M50 as I was from the web. They did have a V and a Wee - Strom, and looked at both of those. In the end I didn't get anything, and ended up buying a hard top for my wife's jeep so when winter hits full swing she isn't freezing too bad and put the rest of the money in a money market account. I decided with winter setting in I would wait till at least next spring if I do get another bike...Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts