Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.thormx.com/product.jsp?path=2085,2103,8352

I'll start by saying that I've never done a product review so please bare with me. Anyways, I wanted a new riding boot that provided both the protection of some minor offroading and also comfortable enough to walk around in.

That is how I happened upon these boots by Thor. I usually wear a 9.5" mens but because these boots didn't come in half sizes I went with a 10". And with a heavier wool sock the fit in the toe area is about perfect, perhaps abit roomy but better then the alternative. I have what I would call a 'normaly' wide foot and the fit there is good too. Tread is slight aggresive design. The aluminum/plastic buckles are adjustable and alittle awkward to buckle up, but aren't they all. Once buckled the clasps feel very secure, and they appear to be screwed in place with philips heads which would lead me to believe they are replaceable but I haven't checked into that yet. There was minor stiffness when walking but nothing like the ski-boot feel of a full blown pair of motocross boots, and I'm sure they'll loosen with time. It was about 33F when I went riding and I felt absolutely no air draft when going down the road at 50mph, my feet stayed a comfortable temp. My left foot felt right at home under the gear shift lever and was easy to get accustomed to, unlike my moto boots that took alot of getting used to the feel or lack of feel of the shifter. As I said before, I only went on a short ride, about 30mins. but feel I've made a wise purchase and look forward to wearing them alot this spring and summer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice review. What does a boot like that cost? Does the toe have a hard safety cap?
Thanks.
The prices varied between $120(msrp at my local shop)-$109. They're not steel toed but do have some kind of hard toe re-inforcement that would stop most anything that I'm going to see on the trail or road.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It has been argued pretty effectively that steel toed boots and motorcycles don't mix well. Find an old timer with no toes. :)

For real though, enforced toes are good. Steel can be pretty bad depending on the situation. Boots made for riding bikes generally do not have steel toes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Believe it or not, I have seen steel toed bike boots. I share the same attitude about riding in steel toes though. In fact, the place I work at is even going away from a traditional steeltoe to a reinforced cap for the same reasons.
Anyway thanks for the info basement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
any update on how they break in? Thinking about getting a pair for the same reasons you did. Its between those and Red Wing 427's although they are much more $$.
Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's still abit cold where I'm at. So with the weather and work interferring with the fun things in life I haven't gone on any good long rides yet. But so far am happy with how they are breaking in. I am curious how water tight the Thors will be though.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I am curious how water tight the Thors will be though.
Borrowed from Off-road.com's review of the boot..

The only gripe I have about the 50/50s compared to my old hiking boots is in the area of waterproofing. With full grain leather construction, my old hiking boots could be dunked in a stream as high as the boot itself and not allow any water to enter. The same cannot be said for the 50/50s as a simple dunk of my foot into a bucket of water discovered. Both around the seam where the footbed attaches to the leather uppers of the boot and through the synthetic padding on the top part of the boot, water quickly entered the boot and turned it into a home more appropriate for fish than feet. Now if you live or ride in the desert Southwest this really doesn’t apply. However, if you live up here in the Northeast, where if you are going to ride more than 3 months out of the year, you are going to encounter plenty of water (much of it quite cold), this does become a concern. I don’t think that moving up the ladder to a full motocross boot will help, as I don’t believe they are any more or less waterproof than the 50/50. A Gore-Tex or some other waterproof breathable material could be the solution here though that would likely bump the price of these boots up significantly and would also reduce their breathability as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts