Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There back....Here on the east coast,every year at this time we have them by the millions.They swarm by the thousands.Tonite on my way to work they were bouncing off of my visor like bbs.We have to spray our house every year to keep them outside of our home.They die on the outside leaving a ring around the house an inch or so deep and two or three inches wide.If they get inside,which some do,they leave little black deposits where ever they crawl around.Thanks to the dept. of ag.,the us goverment imported these to destroy a type of aphide,but they are the wrong kind of beetle.Anyone else have to deal with these little devils

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not like that... but we get them inside the house at a certain time of year. They like to hang out in the shower. Haven't noticed them leaving any spots, I'll check into that when they invade this year.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
They were brought over to eat soybean aphids.. Guess what?? They don't..

Also, they taste like CRAP!!!

Last fall I was sleeping and one flew into my mouth.. My throat clamped down on it, and squished it.. I now know why birds don't eat them.. :x

·
Registered
77 Posts
When living in CA, I only saw a ladybug once in a while and I thought they were cute and innocuous liitle bugs. Since moving to Minnesota in a very agricultural area (tiny little farm town in the middle of nowhere) my opinion has changed a bit. I tore out the walls in a room and put up new drywall. I then taped. I went in to texture the other day and it was cool and rainy outside so I turned on the heat and cracked the windows to get it to dry faster. The hundreds of red and black dots on my new walls isn't quite the decorating fashion statement I was trying to make.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't see the Ladybugs much here, just every once in a blue moon and in small numbers. Our favorite bug to hate is the "Love Bug". Soft, squishy, taste bad and eats vehicle paint like acid. Some folks had them thick this year. I was luckier! :wink:

The Ladybugs do seem to go after the aphids on my mother's rose bushes. We like the little critters. 8)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ever notice how man really can screw things up.

Ladybugs brought in for aphid control.
Our love bugs I think were for mosquito control
and when I lived up north gypsy moth caterpillars for silk production.

I know there must be tons more as well. Cant we just leave nature alone, were not good at this stuff and it shows.

Oh yea I hate love bugs and they also taste awful.

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK first off I am glad folks have them because doing pest control is what I have fed my family with for 20 years now. You WILL NOT get rid of these beetles, which are both Asian Beetles, as well as Lady Bugs, you can control them some what. Do a semi-annual treatment early fall when it starts getting cool at night, and also in the spring when they begin to head out again, this will help more than anything. Dr. Mike Potter an entomologist at UK says to take a vacum suck them up, and release them, cause like it, or not they are benificial insects. The smell they omit is an acid they use to defend themselves with. I have seen them in attics as much as 4 inches deep. and as long as 18 inches trying to make it through a cool night. If you do want a professional to treat for them, check them out there are ALOT of people in this business that just want to hook you. Remember to bring the temperature up a bunch in your home the day of treatment that way the bug is more active. Have the bug guy treat the eves of the house, around outside openings, the window sills inside, and fog the attic. This will help, but in NO WAY get rid of them, the more open your house is the worse your problem will be. I hope this info did not bore you, and will be helpful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My hubby started this post==I'll fill you in some more--danny31 is right --you can't get rid of them--they are indeed asian beetles we have here and they DO NOT eat aphids--I always have a large garden and lots of flower beds and dont' see the little @#$%'s till fall--they are not in any of my plants eating anything- they are here for one reason and one reason only--to make me miserable-and almost sent me over the edge two years ago-our house is log --antique log home and our chinking isn't all in yet-even thought I have insulated and carried a caulking gun like The Fonz carried his comb-I still have them -the first year was so bad we had to stay outside and eat outside during the daytime --as evening fell they calmed down-my ceilings all need redone and we haven't even finished the house yet-emptied the five gallon shop vac three times that year--honest.It still stinks!! Cypermethrin seems to be the answer-we spray the outside of the house every fall top to bottom--I found a retired couple on ebay in FL that sells pestcides out of their homebased business and have the best price. Most of the beetles die outside and the ones that come in don't last long enough to fly around-I still have piles every day in the window sills and under lite fixtures but at least not thousands flying around inside like before-I live to get thru October and be done with them--someone even told me they got some government relief money to help with them in CA. I could only hope. And they do stink ,sting,leave nasty trails and taste bad-I wish I didn't know firsthand! :( AND,I would like to have a conversation with Dr. Mike Potter :twisted: ---Kay

·
Registered
226 Posts
KayLR said:
( AND,I would like to have a conversation with Dr. Mike Potter :twisted: ---Kay

DON"T shoot the messenger, I' am just saying what he said.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm not shootin at ya Danny31--those pesky thangs jes git me riled up! :lol: Kay

·
Registered
77 Posts
I turned the heat off as soon as my texture was dry and the little buggars all left. There's plenty of them outside so I guess my habit of keeping the house cold works. I usually like about 45-50 degrees F. When I lived in CA, my electric bill was quite spectacular in the summer btw.

Are these a seasonal phenomenon or will I have to run the AC all summer to make them leave me alone. I need to move to a higher altitude I think. There are some things besides bugs here in the lowlands that are getting on my nerves.
Someone mentioned that they sting. I haven't been stung or bitten yet but the things like to land on my neck and it drives me up the wall. I have to carry a can of glass cleaner around because that stuff in the washer reservoir in my truck only smears them around and they are not that easy to clean off the helmet screen either. Man I hate bugs. :evil:

From what I hear some of you have them one heck of a lot worse than I do so you have my pity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts