Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may not be the appropriate forum, but I thought I'd thisnout there. I just got my 22 KLR right where I want it and I'm thinking of getting a second bike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I have narrowed it down to a Kawasaki z900 or Yamaha MT 09. I like the naked style for the more upright seating position. I landed on those two for a few reasons, but mostly cost. Heck, I'd even consider a CFMOTO...if i fit. I'm 6'4" but I have an arm span of 6'8" and a 36" inseam, that's why I like the KLR650 so much. I haven't gotten the chance to ride either since no one around here has any, and I don't mind waiting. Besides, I still need to work a lot of OT to save the 💰.
Does anyone have experience with either, especially tall riders?
Thanks in advance ☺

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
No personal experience with either bike, but I’m betting you won’t like the riding posture.
I’ve sat on similar bikes, and there’s no way my upper back would’ve tolerated that hunched-over posture.
Swing a leg over and try ‘em out.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
Yeah, being tall, you want something you can fit on comfortably. You’ll have to swing your leg over a few of them. And you’ll probably end up with something similar to a ADV bike anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2020 z650 and I’ve put a bunch of miles on it. I’m 6’1 with a 6’4 arm span. I had a chance to sit on a z900 and it fit like a glove……. U should certainly go check one out, u won’t be disappointed with the z-series bikes, they’re a great ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably should not restrict myself to just two models. I dont get to hung up over displacement, my first new road bike was a Yamaha Virago 250 🤣
I'd love to get my leg over a few bikes, but the dealers around here just don't have any stock. The local Kawai dealer has a z900rs which really interests me, but the price is just too high. There's a few local used bikes also, but people are think their 2 year old 12kmi bikes are worth their weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
The used bikes were almost as expensive as new bikes recently, but that supply/demand problem is cooling off now. Don’t be afraid to tell sellers that, and give them a low (but reasonable) offer. Dec/Jan is best time to buy a bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice
Had to run to the dealer for some coolant. They had an MT07 so I swung my leg over since the overly eager sales guy said they have roughly the same dimensions.
Man, that thing felt dinky! They also had a Z900RS and oh my, I need to test ride one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was in the same boat this summer. Had my heart set on one of those bikes or similar. Even had the CB1000 and MT-10 high on the list. Sat on them but just never liked the seating position. Feet tight up my ass, hunched over the bars. Little tiny seat with no padding. Figured they would be great for 100 miles day but no more.

However I noticed a like new 2014 V-strom 1000 slowly going down on price over the fall. If you like the KLR this is the bike for you. Great power and excellent handling. The torque is awesome pulling out of the corners. Nice quick turn in and smooth ride. Even pretty decent on the dirt roads. Plus it's a full size bike and is very comfortable. 300 miles a day plus no problem. Interstate highway speeds all day long.

Just a thought. I love mine and am very glad I went with it instead of those others.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
both those bikes have a shorter wheelbase, I'm only 6'1" and felt like I was the bear riding the tricycle at the circus. even my KLR felt a bit like that until I installed the raising links.

how long have you been riding?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Only 54 years. I'm 6 foot and felt the same, those bikes are to darn small. See others ride them and they look ridiculous. Not that I really care what others think. However I know those bikes will be sold off quickly.

Actually had a FZ-1 couple years ago and only put 700 miles on it before it went down the road. Most uncomfortable bike I've ridden in a long time. Sure it was fast and handled great but the lack of suspension, tiny seat and hunched over riding position killed my back and wrists. Main reason I kept looking.

Another suggestion would be an ST-1300. Great power and handling, smooth and comfortable all day long. Plus they are very cheap right now for some reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
both those bikes have a shorter wheelbase, I'm only 6'1" and felt like I was the bear riding the tricycle at the circus. even my KLR felt a bit like that until I installed the raising links.

how long have you been riding?
20ish years
I did install risers on my KLR and JNS lowering foot peg mounts. Added the TUSK long shifter also. So much better, but its like i have to re learn how to ride. Also added the 3D clutch switch delete thingy. Its just feels so much better. May evern add the Seat Concept fall saddle.

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
20ish years
I did install risers on my KLR and JNS lowering foot peg mounts. Added the TUSK long shifter also. So much better, but its like i have to re learn how to ride. Also added the 3D clutch switch delete thingy. Its just feels so much better. May evern add the Seat Concept fall saddle.
Our height/inseam are identical. Did you notice a change in handling after the risers were installed? I got the adjustable ones, and at first had them back too far and it really changed (not necessarily bad or good) the slow speed handling. Once I tilted them to a more forward position, the handling returned to what I was accustomed to. YMMV

I’ve been riding my friends RT1150 lately and it’s a very comfortable ride for my body type. Just a thought.

How many motorcycles does one need? Just one more😉🤣

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Our height/inseam are identical. Did you notice a change in handling after the risers were installed? I got the adjustable ones, and at first had them back too far and it really changed (not necessarily bad or good) the slow speed handling. Once I tilted them to a more forward position, the handling returned to what I was accustomed to. YMMV

I’ve been riding my friends RT1150 lately and it’s a very comfortable ride for my body type. Just a thought.

How many motorcycles does one need? Just one more😉🤣
Didn't really notice too much difference in handling, however it help with some pain i'd get in the shoulders.

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
Didn't really notice too much difference in handling, however it help with some pain i'd get in the shoulders.
I hear ya about pain in the shoulders, I’ve had that issue on rides over 30 minutes. I’ve started using my GL Tillamook bag as a back rest, and rode six hours last weekend with no shoulder pain. Just a thought…
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice
Had to run to the dealer for some coolant. They had an MT07 so I swung my leg over since the overly eager sales guy said they have roughly the same dimensions.
Man, that thing felt dinky! They also had a Z900RS and oh my, I need to test ride one.
I owned a FZ09 when they first came out in 2014. Put 24k miles on it before I sold it. Fantastic 3 cylinder motor but the stock suspension was sorely lacking. $1500 dollars for shock and fork cartridges helped but was still not perfect. A buddy has a new Z900 RS Cafe that I have ridden. Pretty to look at and runs pretty well but I am not really a 4 cylinder fan. Both of these bikes won't be as comfortable as your KLR.

The most comfortable bike I have owned was a 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure. Very upright riding position, decent seat, and good wind protection. Stock WP electronically controlled suspension is fantastic. V-twin engine to die for. But I am 5' 9" and it was just too tall for me.

2nd most comfortable was a 2012 Kawi Connie 14. Fire breathing engine and great wind protection. Power to the moon and back. You can cruise at 120 mph all day long...if you want, but you better not pass too many gas stations.

Good luck on your search.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Plant
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

·
Registered
114 Posts
6'5 here, with 6'5 wingspan. If you can swallow your pride and pretend the ugly looks don't bother you long enough to test ride one, I genuinely think you would love a vstrom.

They fit us tall dudes a ton better than most bikes, and parts are a-plenty for the final touch ergos improvements that are available. In terms of road ability they blow klr's out of the water, get better mpg if you stick with the 650, and are arguably as or close to as reliable as a klr.

Being big we are limited to what bikes we can ride *comfortably. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong or they don't go on long rides.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
6'5 here, with 6'5 wingspan. If you can swallow your pride and pretend the ugly looks don't bother you long enough to test ride one, I genuinely think you would love a vstrom.

They fit us tall dudes a ton better than most bikes, and parts are a-plenty for the final touch ergos improvements that are available. In terms of road ability they blow klr's out of the water, get better mpg if you stick with the 650, and are arguably as or close to as reliable as a klr.

Being big we are limited to what bikes we can ride *comfortably. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong or they don't go on long rides.
Love the Vstroms, well the newer ones at least. Not sure if they'll fit my desire for something to bomb around on. I did get to sit on a Ninja 1000sx, I was very surprised how comfortable it was, even at 2/3ish riding position. So dang expensive though. For me, sometimes the idea of a good deal comes over comfort.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Love the Vstroms, well the newer ones at least. Not sure if they'll fit my desire for something to bomb around on. I did get to sit on a Ninja 1000sx, I was very surprised how comfortable it was, even at 2/3ish riding position. So dang expensive though. For me, sometimes the idea of a good deal comes over comfort.
Judging from the 2 bikes you were considering, is the vstrom not sporty enough? They handle well IMO but can't argue if you desire something faster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts