Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I picked up my ride, it hurt my right leg tendon.

Got me thinking just how much of the upper weight is, "man-made". By that I mean add on's, My tail bag weighs just over 20 lb's with all the normal stuff I carry in it.
Engine guards add to that too. Saddle bag frames. Any one have a tank bag? My windshield doesn't seem to weigh much, but it does add weight to the top of the bike. The higher the weight item/item's the more you have to "grunt".

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
larry31,
You need to PM 'GoMotor' and inquire in-depth, about explanation and pics of his KLR Jack system!
It is just an in-expensive cargo retainer bar (for a box van or a semi-trailer) with a few simple modifications. Primarily, shortening!
He has small cable loops permanently attached to both sides of his bike.
Read here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/52690-jack-up-dropped-klr.html

I believe he is currently on the Trans Canada Adventure Trail, traveling East to West. I think he passed thru your neck of the woods, a week or two ago.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lifting a KLR

larry31,
You need to PM 'GoMotor' and inquire in-depth, about explanation and pics of his KLR Jack system!
It is just an in-expensive cargo retainer bar (for a box van or a semi-trailer) with a few simple modifications. Primarily, shortening!
He has small cable loops permanently attached to both sides of his bike.
Read here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/52690-jack-up-dropped-klr.html

I believe he is currently on the Trans Canada Adventure Trail, traveling East to West. I think he passed thru your neck of the woods, a week or two ago.
I do remember reading that a while back. Clever guy! Like one responder said, it seems like a dying art to come up with answers to problems. All to often we just want to buy something that we could have made ourselves, with a little thought.

I'm just glad I had a riding buddy with me when my KLR went to sleep with it's seat facing down hill, and tires facing up hill. Even with both of us lifting, it was hard.
I'm really not interested in "pivoting" my bike 180 deg's to put it's tires on down hill side.

BTW: I hope he's out of our area by now. It's been in the 40's up north these past few days.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
He (GoMotor) is currently north of you. Near eastern shore of Lac Manicouagan, Quebec according to his delorme.com site.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Long story short; I crashed my KLR a few years ago riding by myself. It ended up upside down over a sandy bank.....after a half dozen attempts to get it back up to the trail, I realized that if I couldn't do it when I was fresh, I certainly couldn't do it when I was dog tired from all the tries.... I did the walk of shame back to my camp and had to get some buddies to help me.

After that little episode, I decided that the KLR was too heavy. I started by removing the bag I had on the luggage rack and I now carry my tools in a fanny pack (like I did on my offroad bikes) and I wear a small pack as well. I did some mods to the bike, ultimately removing approximately 30 lbs (mostly up high); IMS tank, LiFePo battery, aftermarket silencer and removal of unnecessary bits and pces like the passenger pegs and brackets. I also now only ride with the fuel I need plus a healthy safety factor rather than putting in 6.6 galls for a 50 mile ride.

I do try to ride with a buddy, but now I feel comfortable knowing I can manhandle the bike in most situations. I figure my bikes' current weights are around 345 lbs (wet, no fuel). The 500+ lbs of the Africa Twin, KTM twins, etc. are what keep me from considering those bikes; 400 lbs MAX for me.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm retired, and often ride alone. I have dropped my bike many times, but fortunately, the two drops where I was pinned, I was not riding alone. Otherwise, I might very well still be pinned out there in the woods. On one get off, it was in the middle of a huge mud hole crossing. The front slid out, nad my left leg waz pinned under the bike. Due to muddy slop, I could do nothing but lie there until my buddies pulled the bike off. The other time, I hit a patch of sand, and suddenly found myself and the bikehead down, over the side of a steep bank, maybe 10 feet below the trail. My helmet was wedged between a tree and the windshield, and I couldn't get loose. Once again, my riding buds came to the rescue. Fortunately, both times I was unhurt. Except for when pinned, I've always managed to pick up the bike. Adrenalin helps, no doubt. But it certainly would be eazier if it was 200 lbs or so lighter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts