Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
"First step, remove side padding shown in picture above. Grind off chin strap metal connection to helmet and cut off secondary connection. They are in the way for installing air bladder under earmuff in earmuff pocket."

What could go wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd be curious to know how many of those kits they sell. My bet is, "not many." I doubt too many folks are keen on major alterations to their helmet.

I don't get the complexity, anyway. The Army SPH-4 helmet (I never realized SPH stands for "Sound Protection Helmet") didn't ever use any kind of inflatable seal system and they always seemed to me like they sealed quite well without it. Then again, the earmuffs were part of an internal canvas lining suspended inside a shell that really didn't really offer much in the way of impact protection like a motorcycle helmet does. I suppose with the tighter fit of a motorcycle helmet, the earmuffs would have to be somewhat "deflated" just to get the helmet on in the first place.

Interesting product and I'm glad to see somebody else thinks like I do about the idea of internal motorcycle helmet earmuffs, but this whole system just seems way too primitive at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will note that with the visor down and both vents open on a Heat Index 100 day, the internal sun visor will fog up while it's in the "stowed" position. It's not enough to impair your vision when dropped, but enough to be noticeable, casting a kind of haziness on the visor. It's best to open your main visor prior to dropping the sun visor to quickly clear the condensation from it. I would note that, despite this issue, I don't consider the helmet "hot" in such conditions.

This also might have happened with my previous HJC helmet had I ridden with the main visor fully closed. I never did that because there was never a big difference in wind noise with the visor of the HJC cracked open one notch as opposed to fully closed. With the Neotec, the difference in wind noise is greatly reduced when the visor is kept fully closed and this is the first modular helmet I've ever worn where I prefer to ride, no matter how hot it is, with the visor fully closed. Aside from the fogging of the sun visor, this helmet is acceptably cool with the visor closed and both vents fully open. The chin vent is open/closed and the top vent has three different positions: closed, partly open, fully open.

I can't say enough about how aerodynamic this helmet is. When you pass a semi approaching you at the same speed on a two lane road, around 70mph, you'll feel the bike move beneath you from the wind blast but your head won't move at all. I would rate it as "slick as snot."

Turbulence/pressure is not an issue. With my old HJC helmet, there was just enough constant tugging/resistance due to airflow that wasn't particularly forceful in nature, but after a few hours at higher speeds it began to take its toll on your neck muscles and overall sense of relaxation. Not so with the Neotec.

Now that I've gotten used to it, I really like the micro-ratchet chin strap latch as opposed to the standard D-ring setup. .

So, after about 20 hours of use, my only complaint with the helmet is that the internal sun visor tends to fog up when stowed at higher temperatures/humidity levels. Other than that, I'm still digging it. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts