Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fully aware of the debate about the necessity of a TB. And I believe it is probably not necessary. But I do think it is a good idea with sound engineering to back it. And I do want to get as many miles out of my KLR as I can. And, like I've said, I got real sick of staring at the temp gauge that never moved until I was stuck in traffic.

First thought: It was not a real easy install. Based on what I'd read, I was expecting it to be easier. Mark helped me out a lot, and we got it on without any real problems, but it wasn't "easy" (Thanks VP). The instructions have great pics, but were a little confusing in some parts. Still better than most instructions.

OK, bear in mind that I got new tires on Friday. Changed the oil and filter and did the TB on Sunday. (Also taped off half the L mod). Here are my impressions. I fully expect that some of you will think I'm overzealous and that may be. I always feel like my bike runs better after an oil change anyway. But I rode about an hour on the freeway last night. Normal 45 into work, stop and go today. Here's what I notice:

1) It does what it says it will do. The temp gauge sits about a third of the way up (just covering the bottom of the screw) no matter what. Even going 80 on the freeway in the cold.
2) My bike has always been rock steady:
5th gear, 5K rpm=70mph
2nd gear, 4K rpm=25 mph
(I know these well, cause I don't like tickets)
Now, it is still rock steady, but:
5th gear, 5K rpm=80mph
2nd gear, 3K rpm=25 mph
3) The engine sounds better. Happier. Like it is swimming in warm oil as it should be.

The biggest change other than the rpm's is that I cruised 80 all the way home last night (yeah, I know, tickets...it was freaking cold and I was tired). Anyway, it felt smoother, the throttle response seemed better. The install was a pain in the ass and hurt my head. Others probably won't have this problem. Am I glad I did it? So far, hell yeah.

I'd be curious if others had the same results. Oh, and it made me better looking (I know, seems impossible).

Final thoughts, the TB is a nicely machined piece. It is a tight fit. I think it is worth doing. $115 and an afternoon wrenching? Even if I get 5K more miles out of the engine, well worth it.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Dan -

I agree with 1 and 3 very much, but unless they have repealed the laws of physics, 2 is not possible.

In a given gear, at a given RPM, you will go a given speed. The only way to change that is to change the C/S sprocket, the rear sprocket, or the size of the tires. Just ain't no other way.

After installing the TB I went straight out on a 500 mile trip. The change in how the bike ran at freeway speeds was pretty dramatic. Having the oil at the temp it was designed for does wonders.

Tom

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Dan -

I agree with 1 and 3 very much, but unless they have repealed the laws of physics, 2 is not possible.

In a given gear, at a given RPM, you will go a given speed. The only way to change that is to change the C/S sprocket, the rear sprocket, or the size of the tires. Just ain't no other way.

After installing the TB I went straight out on a 500 mile trip. The change in how the bike ran at freeway speeds was pretty dramatic. Having the oil at the temp it was designed for does wonders.

Tom
The change in RPM's is likely do to his new tire vs the worn out tire. That can be a significant size change.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with Tom, I have one in the garage and am planning replacement soon. However this will have no effect on your RPMs at a given speed. If theres a difference a different size tire would be the likely culprit. Im glad to hear you are happy with the Thermobob however..

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
LJ changed his front tire to a stock tire which should be no change. The speed differnce was probably from all the good friends, delicious food and desserts at MB (4)'s home. :character0011:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires (!), good call. :ashamed0001:

Yeah, I flunked physics pretty good.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom, would adjusting the chain affect the RPM's? It would right? I just bought Francine a gyroscope and I am fear of the day she asks me to explain how it works. Actually, that I can handle. And that's about it. Seriously, this physics stuff hurts my head.

Also, curious, did you ahhhh, screw it. I was going to ask if you had any trouble putting it in, but any man that can sew like you can...

I'm taking my RPM's and going home. I can still outdrink and outfight...ah, hell, that's not true either.

I could eat about 50 slices of Mrs. Zin's cheesecake, though. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seriously??.. the thermo hooey really makes a diffrence?

oh and yes... LJ it must have been the chain adjustment that did it..:10a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I promise I know more about fishing than motorcycles. And fishermen, as you know, never lie.

But really, yeah, I think it does make a difference. It depends on what you want/use the bike for. If I used it to have fun with, probably wouldn't have done it. Or if I had another, more reliable bike...not a 73 Honda. Or something. But it is my transportation. It really just makes sense...even to the physic-ly impaired...I've never owned a vehicle with a temp gauge that didn't sit nice and steady in the middle. The KLR was always cold. And for about 4 weeks out of the year WAY too hot. Now it's not.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Question about Thermal Robert:

Does running one of these units completely cut off coolant flow at times?
I'm nervous on stressing the water pump. If it never shuts off, and most don't,
where's the pressure gonna go?

I'm all for running 200 degree oil. In the low 100's is not where the temp should be.
But will the thermobob burst a coolant line or the radiator?????

CheapMark

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Does running one of these units completely cut off coolant flow at times?
I'm nervous on stressing the water pump. If it never shuts off, and most don't,
where's the pressure gonna go?

I'm all for running 200 degree oil. In the low 100's is not where the temp should be.
But will the thermobob burst a coolant line or the radiator?????

CheapMark
The stock system completely cuts off the coolant flow. The TB is a bypass which allows some coolant to flow around the thermostat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
thermobob

Has anyone measurered the coolent temperature where it runs low on the bar and 1/3 up with the thermobob? I can't believe there is that much difference in temperature. I have checked a couple of other motorcycles in the past to see the difference from where they run normal and the hot end. It is about 15 degrees. I don't know how 15 degrees can make a bike run so much better.

It seems to me the thermobob is a feel good device. I always feel good when I'm riding my KLR.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Tom, would adjusting the chain affect the RPM's? It would right? ...
Why, yes, I think that just might do it. Adding Seafoam to the tank could cause a change in RPM as well. Haven't tested that myself, but I can see the physics....

Also, curious, did you ahhhh, screw it... any trouble putting it in...
Family forum, buddy... oh, the T-Robert. Well, I had to study the instructions for a while. The only real trouble I had was getting the final connection of the bypass hose onto the "T" sorta thing. That was more a 'big hands, small spaces' issue than any issue with the T-Robert.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
...But will the thermobob burst a coolant line or the radiator???
CM -
I thought the thing was a good idea from the git-go, but held off a long time before I did it. I was waiting for the reports of long term-use and resultant problems. As far as I know, there have been no credible reports of any issues or problems stemming from the T-Bob. Certainly no burst hoses or radiator problems. I'm certain that if there were, we'd hear about it - KLR people are not shy about that.

Tom

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has anyone measurered the coolent temperature where it runs low on the bar and 1/3 up with the thermobob? I can't believe there is that much difference in temperature. I have checked a couple of other motorcycles in the past to see the difference from where they run normal and the hot end. It is about 15 degrees. I don't know how 15 degrees can make a bike run so much better.

It seems to me the thermobob is a feel good device. I always feel good when I'm riding my KLR.
Bill has some excellent charts on his site. One problem is that the stock gauge is VERY slow to respond....... Actual temperature changes aren't accurately shown.
all the best,
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

Go to the webpage to get all of the information. Watt-man has covered ALL of the bases and will answer ALL of your questions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I bought my KLR, I actually parked it for a while because I thought the cooling system had a serious problem, the needle was all over the place. Did a little research, found out it is just a function of a really cheapo design from Kawasaki. Ordered a T bob, rode it a few days until it arrived. I have never seen a temp gauge move like this. Full cold half the time, hot at others in cool or cold weather. What a piece of crap.

T bob in, temp is steady, just below 1/2 at all times.

No brainer, get one.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Just got home with my very nice dumpster diving knobbies and checked in to see if there was any answer to my Q. Yikes. U guys are all over it, and that's one of many reasons to love this site.

Which brings anudder Q: If the stock system completely cuts off flow, wouldn't it
run warmer than it does outta the crate(stock)? OR, does it just open up too soon and go to full flow, leaving too much cooling?

Thanks,
CheapGuyWhoWantsToWeldFinsAllOverTheEngineAndChuckTheRadiator. LOL

No, I wouldn't really do that.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Cheap do you research these subjects before offering these questions or are these questions designed to create conversation? Both are acceptable, just wondering.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts