Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had a reoccurring throttle cable issue . im now replacing my 3rd stock set .. I have a 2012 with 30k miles and I keep eating cables and cant figure out why ? they are well lubed and return with a good snap but just keeps stretching this last season I put on my 3rd one and still its at its max adjustment now ,,,know of any cure or better made cables ?

·
Registered
896 Posts
ive had a reoccurring throttle cable issue . im now replacing my 3rd stock set .. I have a 2012 with 30k miles and I keep eating cables and cant figure out why ? they are well lubed and return with a good snap but just keeps stretching this last season I put on my 3rd one and still its at its max adjustment now ,,,know of any cure or better made cables ?
Did you take them apart and see where they are breaking? I've never had a problem. Does it have a factory return spring?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like they are stretching, not breaking - please clarify..

I've never had a throttle cable stretch that I can recall.. I've adjusted free play, but never had to go in and readjust it that I remember.

Just for grins, check to make sure your throttle zeros out by touching the idle adjust screw on the carb, and not by hitting the end of the throttle travel? Maybe you have constant tension, when there shouldn't be any tension with the throttle closed..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes sorry ,, they are stretching to the point of no longer being able to do so at both the carb jamb nuts and cable lock nuts .. and I end up with a lot of slack in the throttle ant opening up as far as she should ... it always starts off nice and smooth and no play in throttle .. I keep throttle cable lube with me because it loosens up so quick ..

only real change ive done is ROX risers im wondering if maybe im stretching cables with the added reach .. ive rerouted em few times and don't seem to bind lock to lock ,,but could be tighter than I realize ?

·
Registered
896 Posts
yes sorry ,, they are stretching to the point of no longer being able to do so at both the carb jamb nuts and cable lock nuts .. and I end up with a lot of slack in the throttle ant opening up as far as she should ... it always starts off nice and smooth and no play in throttle .. I keep throttle cable lube with me because it loosens up so quick ..

only real change ive done is ROX risers im wondering if maybe im stretching cables with the added reach .. ive rerouted em few times and don't seem to bind lock to lock ,,but could be tighter than I realize ?
Well well... I just ordered a set of 2" rox risers so maybe I'll have the same problem. One person told me they turned their throttle over (upside down) so they had more slack. We'll post results after UPS truck arrives with risers.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Guys!
I have powermadd 2" risers on my 2011. I turned the throttle housing upside down for more slack. Works well. I have not had any issues with the cables and have 10000miles on the bike.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks jeff ill try that with the new cables ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
... it always starts off nice and smooth and no play in throttle
That may be the key right there. Properly adjusted, there should be a little play. Not much, but some. With the throttle sitting on the idle stop, you should be able to turn the throttle a bit back and forth. If you are continually adjusting the cables so that there's no play, you may be tightening them to the point that there is continuous tension between the two cables. And if so, that continuous tension may be causing the cables to stretch. The two cables should not be applying tension to each other. But that may not be apparent, because they could be in tension, but the throttle system will still work smoothly if it's well lubricated. In fact it might even feel "better" to you that way because it's nice and tight with no "slop"

Try this: Read Kawasaki's instructions on adjusting the throttle cables. I think that it's in the owner's manual, but I'm not 100 percent sure as I'm away from home at the moment. For sure it's in the Kawasaki service manual, and also in Clymers.

Anyway, when you install your new set of cables, read that procedure, and pay attention to the minimum play specified in the throttle. Adjust your cables, exactly the way Kawasaki says to adjust them. And any time down the road, if you think they need adjusting, take out the manual, read it and adjust them as per the instructions.

You may find that you'll stop needing to replace your cables every year.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alexander ill recheck the spec..where inanchorage are you at? im uo here near big lake..

·
Registered
15 Posts
..where inanchorage are you at? im uo here near big lake..
I live in midtown area, South of International, North of Dimond (almost walking distance to TMS) but I'm overseas at the moment (Ras al Khaimah, UAE) Headed home on Monday. You in up in AK or down in CO at the moment? Luck you living out by Big Lake. Sometimes I wish I lied out there, closer to the good riding ( I don't consider the Glenn between ANC and the valley "good riding")

Good luck with the throttle cables.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I think you will find the problem is something other than cable stretch. Steel cables just don't stretch. The sleeves may compress or the sleeve liners may wear or the adjusters may slip.

Turning the throttle grip over for bottom cable outlet works well with the two inch risers.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just added 2" rox risers and didn't have a more or adjust any cables. Feels like a different bike. Going to have to learn to ride it again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in midtown area, South of International, North of Dimond (almost walking distance to TMS) but I'm overseas at the moment (Ras al Khaimah, UAE) Headed home on Monday. You in up in AK or down in CO at the moment? Luck you living out by Big Lake. Sometimes I wish I lied out there, closer to the good riding ( I don't consider the Glenn between ANC and the valley "good riding")

Good luck with the throttle cables.
im back home in Big lake , I was stuck at ft carson last 2 years .Good luck and be safe out there when you get back we can hit a trail and ill buy you a beer .

I broke my leg this spring and I will finally be able to ride again this spring !

im headed your way tonight picking up a buddy at the airport .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts