Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Bought a used 2009 KLR that I'm getting used to. Seems the throttle sticks so I did a lube job but it's still about the same. The cables don't look rusty or crudy at all. It appears that the outside of the end of the rubber grip is rubbing on the outside metal end. I tried to remove this metal end taking out the allen screw but the end doesn't budge...I do have a Clymer manual on the way...

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
The oem bar end Weights of the Gen 2 bikes has a rubber damper inside of it. If one has metal hand guards bolted Outboard of them, with out proper spacers, they will compress the rubber bushing and then the weight will drag on the grip.
An improper bolt can do the same. Too little slack in the 2 cables can also cause binding.
Raised handlebars usually require the throttle assembly to be reinstalled with cables Under the handlebars, to have enough slack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any metal hand guards on the bike...the plastic guards are all there is...

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
It appears that the outside of the end of the rubber grip is rubbing on the outside metal end. I tried to remove this metal end taking out the allen screw but the end doesn't budge..
Well?
How about you loosen or dismount the brake reservoir, then loosen and slide the throttle assembly far enough to see if the spot welds of the metal Insert (for the weight bolt) need to be filed down a bit or just moving the throttle grip a mere millimeter to the Left would free the grip?
It ain't rocket science.

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 4 of 4 Posts