Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 KLR, Eagle Mike doohickey done at 2,500 miles. Recently (8K miles) when the bike is fully warmed up there's a constant, engine-speed whirring sound from the left lower side of the motor, almost like a chain is too tight. I tried adjusting the doohickey, but no change. Any ideas before I go back in to look at the doohickey again?

I also pulled the timing chain tensioner and it looks fine.

TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
If it were mine....the left cover would be coming off. A little talked about secret in KLR land is that on occasion, even the upgraded, super-dooper, good-for-a-lifetime replacement springs.... break. Or come un-done. Either way, no tension is applied to the balancer lever to take up the slack when you attempt an adjustment. Eyes on will confirm or dismiss this possibility, and without an inspection port, pulling the cover is the easiest solution to me.

With the low miles you have, it is unlikely the rubberized balancer
sprockets have deteriorated, but only seeing will confirm this. Pulling the cover will confirm or dismiss the idea of chain dragging on the case, sprocket failure, poltergeist, etc.

I'm not always quick on the uptake, so bear with me.....you said when the engine comes up to normal operating temps, you hear the noise. Is this moving, sitting on the sidestand? Or both?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
vatrader has good advice. Here are a couple questions. Was the original spring broken? If so, did you find all of the spring pieces? Which style spring did you install? If it was the torsion spring what position did you install it in? Here are the installation instructions that Eagle provides.

Standard Spring
http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/balancer_lever_upgrade.htm

Torsion Spring
http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/Install_a_torsion_spring.htm
I noticed that Mike has not updated the instructions for the torsion spring but I think the updated information is included with the balancer lever.

Give Mike a call and ask for his suggestions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The whirring noise is not unusual. There has never been any damage or issue related to this noise. Just out of curiosity, what weight oil are you using? It has seemed that using a lighter oil makes the noise louder, but this is more of a trend, not a defining issue.

Any whirring noise is unlikely to be related to a broken spring, but it's worth checking. A rattling noise is much more likely to be related to a broken spring.

You are welcome to call at any reasonable hour. :)
all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Another thought in response to an above post:
One self appointed KLR guru has made a lot of noise about springs breaking. The full story is that the first generation spring (originally sold by Bill Rose) design was approved by said guru. These springs were manufactured by Century Spring in Los Angeles. His address was even on the original drawing. This spring design was obsoleted shortly after I purchased the sales rights back from Bill Rose. There's been at least 5 updates to the spring(s) design since then. It's always been my goal to eliminate spring breakage. The extension spring is in constant cycle as the engine is running. It's not a big cycle, but it's always there.
all the best,
Mike

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,,

I installed the doohickey in May-ish of 2008, so whatever was in the kit at that time is in my bike. It was a coil spring, not the torsion version.

The spring was not broken when I did the doo, but it didn't have much tension to tighten the OEM doo, even at 2,500 miles.

The noise is apparent anytime the motor is warmed-up and running, in gear or in neutral, clutch in or out, and varies with engine speed. I didn't hear it initially after doing the doo, but it has developed in the last 1,000 or so miles.

I use 10-40 Valvoline motorcycle (mineral) oil.

It doesn't really sound like a loose chain, more like a tight chain.

I wonder if the new doo is hung on something and won't move when I loosen the adjuster? I'll probably take it apart over the winter to have a look.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I noticed the same thing (the whirring) after doing the EM. Not worry, all is good. Many good miles to prove it !!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the replies,,

I installed the doohickey in May-ish of 2008, so whatever was in the kit at that time is in my bike. It was a coil spring, not the torsion version.

The spring was not broken when I did the doo, but it didn't have much tension to tighten the OEM doo, even at 2,500 miles.

The noise is apparent anytime the motor is warmed-up and running, in gear or in neutral, clutch in or out, and varies with engine speed. I didn't hear it initially after doing the doo, but it has developed in the last 1,000 or so miles.

I use 10-40 Valvoline motorcycle (mineral) oil.

It doesn't really sound like a loose chain, more like a tight chain.

I wonder if the new doo is hung on something and won't move when I loosen the adjuster? I'll probably take it apart over the winter to have a look.
Come by to Alcoa and check mine. I think we have the same issue. I tend to agree with you that it is a tight chain sound. I have put about 9k miles on since the upgrade and it is a sound I have learned to live with since I have never found a problem related to it (so far anyway).

Coop

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's pretty annoying, even if it's really nothing to worry about. I'll still probably pull the cover to make sure there's nothing obvious going wrong.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I tore into the KLR this weekend to check out the doo. Everything is as it should be, and I had used the longer of the two springs that came with my kit (38mm and 35mm were supplied).

The doo isn't hung on anything, and tensions freely with the bolt loosened and the inner cover installed. I took the inner cover off too, just to check out everything and I could see nothing unusual.

Put her back together and went for a 80-mile ride. I could hear the whirring/"sizzling" when I got home and popped the earplugs, but it didn't seem as bad as I remember. It wasn't hot out though (66 degrees) so maybe it's temp related.

The bike runs fine, and it was great to take a nice ride. I guess I'll worry less/ride more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2007 KLR. Did the doo at 9k and have a similar chain whir coming from the left side cover. I took the covers off again and everything looked ok. I guess I'll just keep riding and see if it get's worse.

This is an old thread wondering if anyone had issues or if the whirring noise went away?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
In my experience a whirring noise is normal and good. A sloppy, slapping/thrashing noise is not.

The most I would do is pull the left side cover, loosen the adjustment bolt, and see if the lever can be easily pushed in the direction that loosens the chain. If it can't then the spring is good and doing what it is supposed to do.

Tom

Reactions: willys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds good, thanks for the replies!

I'll pull the cover, loosen the adjustment bolt and make sure it's doing it's job.

Eagle Mike ships a washer with the doo kit for 2008+ is it bad to have that washer on the adjustment bolt on a 2007 and earlier? Maybe that's the issue, we used the washer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
In my experience a whirring noise is normal and good. A sloppy, slapping/thrashing noise is not.

The most I would do is pull the left side cover, loosen the adjustment bolt, and see if the lever can be easily pushed in the direction that loosens the chain. If it can't then the spring is good and doing what it is supposed to do.

Tom
I agree. Whirring=Good. Slapping=Bad. Also, internal chains don't get too tight by themselves.

Some more thoughts on pushing the doo. You should be able to push it against the spring in the loosening direction (counter clockwise, bottom to right) and feel the spring resistance. Then let it return to it's original position and you should not be able to push it in the tightening direction, because it should be tight at that point. If you can push the bottom farther to the left more than a tiny bit, the spring has no more tension left.

A nice thing about this check is that you can do it quickly and easily without removing the rotor bolt. I did it at an abandoned gas station in Nogales, AZ before crossing the Mexican border on the way down to Copper Canyon. I just laid the bike on it's side (no oil removal needed) and popped the side cover.

I always grease all side cover gaskets to make them field reusable.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
My bike got "louder" when I added a tall windshield.

Much more noise comes up from the abyss down there.
It's not a quiet engine to begin with. I can hear the main
rear drivechain buzzing around the transmission sprocket too.

EM doo whirring along just fine.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
That washer shouldn't be used pre -08 is all I know, It might have something to do with spacing out the rubber seal in the case but I'm not 100% sure.
:character00201:
Sorry willys,
But that is an incorrect statement.
The EM Doo-Hickey Locking bolt should have a Washer used on it.
Just do Not use two of them on it!

The 1984-1995 600s & 650s did Not come with an OEM washer, please use the one Mike includes with his kit.
The 1996-2007 bikes did use an OEM washer, please do Not use 2 washers.
The 2008 & up bikes did Not use an OEM washer, because the oem doo is/was soooo Thick. Please use the washer Mike includes with his kit.

Back to the parts screen for you my friend.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'll have to go back and see what is going on...lol. I have never installed 2 washers on any DOO.....and this is the first time I'm hearing this.....???? You may be correct, I do not know....will look into it for sure! Thanks for giving me something else to look up...lol.:character00201:

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I called Mike after forgetting the washer. (2009, bike done in 2010)

His words were "that it's best to use it but just be gentle tightening the nut since
you have it all back together." I can see where the slot can get stressed easily
as it's thin and long. I snug it down and no issues as of yet. I'll put one on on when
I get around to adding the wind-up spring. Important but not critical is what I gathered.

Willy, I haven't heard of two either. There would be one thicker washer if anything.

CheapMark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts