Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I'm going to check out what looks like a really clean 2009 KLR 650 today. From what I can tell from the pictures the bike looks like it has been cared for well. It has a tad over 8,000 miles on the odo. Aside from the usual stuff I check when buying any used bike such as the airbox, rims, see if the oils clean, and the usual run of the mill visual inspection is there anything in particular I need to pay especially close attention to on this year and model? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If I remember correctly, the '09 models had an issue with abrasion on the wiring in a few locations. I'm not sure what locations, so you'd have to either wait for another person to chime in, or do a specific search. Also, ask about oil consumption...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't have good knowledge about the 09 but you will get someone here to give you good advice. I hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I remember correctly, the '09 models had an issue with abrasion on the wiring in a few locations. I'm not sure what locations, so you'd have to either wait for another person to chime in, or do a specific search. Also, ask about oil consumption...
Yes, there was a recall on the early Gen II bikes which made some changes to the wiring harness. Checking to see that the recall was accomplished might be a good idea.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
As mentioned by the others, other than general condition you should check to see if there are any recalls for that model, and if they have been done. The VIN is about all you need to get that info.

One other thing to watch out for on some of the gen 2's is a lot of soot and staining on the rear fender. It's not uncommon to have some, but if it's excessive you could be looking at an oil burner. Also ask the owner if it burns oil, although you'd probably only stand a 50/50 chance of him telling you the truth if it does...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shifter

I just picked up a 2006 last week and withing 200 miles the shifter was 80% torn just in front of the weld on the splined part. I think it was already going when I picked it up, but didn't know to look for it. I was able to weld it back up for a temporary fix until my IMS showed up. It's a cheap fix, but could leave you stranded if it breaks a long way from home!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts