Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a bunch of different tires a long time ago and settled on Michelin T63's sadly they are no more and I wore out my last one, I had a supply stocked up, and then I bought a set of tkcs which I have used before from a buddy who had a new set laying around but now the rears almost gone so Im on the hunt for a new favorite tire. I have a set of the Tusk tires and Ill for sure use them BUT I had a great balance with the Michelin t63's, they were cheap I used 2 rears to one front and sometimes I turned the front around with the new rear they worked great off pavement here in rocky arizona, I ride tdirtroads that can get kinda shitty but they ares till roads and no single track. They were stable on the street even at high speeds, for better or worse I am pretty much always WFO on my KLR on the street and I also run 42 pounds on the street as well and like 27 off pavement, I leave the front at 32 regardless. I don't ride around town so I am either getting to the ride or just going on a 200 mile street loop I do with some buddies. I think they were considered 70/30 tires the rear T63 had more grip off road than the tkc that's for sure and it lasted longer too. the front tkc actually seems quite good and I might stick with that next time out.

Priorities are

1. High speed stability on the street
2. good off-road traction, I don't see much mud or sand mostly hard pack and rocks, bed rock, loose rocks rocks rocks rocks
3. price
4. longevity

What do you guys run and what do you recommend?

·
Administrator
4,533 Posts
I haven’t tried them myself as yet but my next tire purchase will be the Dunlop Trailmax Mission. It’s great that the KLR has so many tire choices available and the opinions offered will be as varied as the choices.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a kenda big block rear with a new tube plus shipping and tax from Chaparral for $113. we will see how it works I was tempted to buy a Tractinator MOTOZ GPS but it was twice the money.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I ordered a kenda big block rear
I think you'll like them - I've been using the Kenda Big Blocks for about 70K + miles, and I think that they're a good value for money; I drive pretty slowly and usually get around 5K miles on the rear (depending on terrain, etc.). I've also found that you can mount the rear tire without too much trouble, and that is a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,189 Posts
Shinko 705’s on my end. They stick well on wet pavement and aren’t too shabby off-road.
Can’t even tell you how many sets I’ve purchased….it’s been quite a few.
They also wear incredibly well compared to others I’ve bought. The price is right, although the cost for Shinko tires has gone up substantially this past year (Bidenflation).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just received, installed and rode the Motoz RallZ tube type for the front. $120 delivered. Now my favorite front bar-none. Very aggressive, great side knobbies and a nice deep tread. Quiet and smooth on the pavement.

·
Registered
547 Posts
705's are working good for me in rocky terrain with a decent amount highway riding between. In the sand however, not so much.

I'm looking at a more aggressive set next time for 50/50 duty.

I do keep a set of 'full knobbies' on wheels to swap out when I'm just blitzing sand washes in my area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried a bunch of different tires a long time ago and settled on Michelin T63's sadly they are no more and I wore out my last one, I had a supply stocked up, and then I bought a set of tkcs which I have used before from a buddy who had a new set laying around but now the rears almost gone so Im on the hunt for a new favorite tire. I have a set of the Tusk tires and Ill for sure use them BUT I had a great balance with the Michelin t63's, they were cheap I used 2 rears to one front and sometimes I turned the front around with the new rear they worked great off pavement here in rocky arizona, I ride tdirtroads that can get kinda shitty but they ares till roads and no single track. They were stable on the street even at high speeds, for better or worse I am pretty much always WFO on my KLR on the street and I also run 42 pounds on the street as well and like 27 off pavement, I leave the front at 32 regardless. I don't ride around town so I am either getting to the ride or just going on a 200 mile street loop I do with some buddies. I think they were considered 70/30 tires the rear T63 had more grip off road than the tkc that's for sure and it lasted longer too. the front tkc actually seems quite good and I might stick with that next time out.

Priorities are

1. High speed stability on the street
2. good off-road traction, I don't see much mud or sand mostly hard pack and rocks, bed rock, loose rocks rocks rocks rocks
3. price
4. longevity

What do you guys run and what do you recommend?
I've got 2g km on shinko 804/805's. Pretty pumped about street handling and especially trails!

·
Registered
85 Posts
ya, it is. How about Shinko 700?
I just put these on my bike and a couple hundred miles into them I am very happy. I was running Dunlop d606's and wanted something less aggressive because I am mostly on the road these days but wanted some dirt ability too. The price was what first drew me to them along with reviews.

They were a bit stiff so a little challenging to mount. This is because our size is rated as tubeless (we still have to run them with tubes). I don't remember if it was the front or back but I had to put a ton of pressure in to seat the bead. I also had to put a couple clamps on the rear tire to taco it and get it in the center of the rim so I could get it over the edge all the way around.

I have not ridden in the rain with them so I can't comment on how they do in wet conditions but they have great traction on dry pavement. I can lean the bike way over with confidence. They give a smooth quiet ride compared to my old tires. They are decent on fairly packed dirt. I did get a little sideways on some pea-gravel the other day but was able to stay upright.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts