Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the standard for tire compressors? Someone has a compressor and accessories stuffed into a Pelican 1120 case. The only one I can find that seems to be useable is the 300 PSI unit at klr650.com, $20.00. What are you using or want to use? Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That would be me. It's a Harbor Freight $10 special, with the plastic housing removed. It's a 300 psi pump. I'd probably get the Slime Brand Pump now, but it wasn't out yet when I did this. The Slime Brand Pump can be had for $30?$35 at Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's only rated 100 psi according to TwistedThrottle.com

I personally don't feel a pump with low output has enough to pop the bead out on a trail. With pumps like that I don't think they have in mind dual sport guys with heavy duty sidewall knobbies doing a complete tube change trail side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Biker Scout said:
That would be me. It's a Harbor Freight $10 special, with the plastic housing removed. It's a 300 psi pump. I'd probably get the Slime Brand Pump now, but it wasn't out yet when I did this. The Slime Brand Pump can be had for $30?$35 at Cycle Gear.
I believe I've seen the Slime pump at Harbor Frieght as well... don't recall the price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the slime pump. changed one tire recently with it. it did the job just fine.

however I like yours still biker. it has a pressure guage to at least get you in the ball park. slime does not have one. you have to keep checking the pressure during the fill. also its a litter bigger than yours(the pump :oops: ) your is really small and compact compared to the slime model.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Biker Scout said:

Thanks for the pic and vendor. klr650.com has one for $20 but it does not have all three of the power connections and I don't see it on their webpage. Makes ya wonder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Slime pump, and it works great. It's a bit bulkier than the disassembled ones, but the extra protection to the pump is worth it, to me. the .com pump is a generic cheap pump that has had its plastic body removed, but they also gave it some kind of shrink-wrap (it seems). That's to protect your fingers, I suspect. That pump works fine, and I have a similar one, also. It can bite you, it can get hot, and it can be awkward to hold, sometimes. The original plastic body served to guard againt those things.

Bottom line: when you need it, any pump is better than none. The $10 disassembled ones are fine, and when it dies, it's easy and cheap to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SgtMarty said:
I have the Slime pump, and it works great. It's a bit bulkier than the disassembled ones, but the extra protection to the pump is worth it, to me. the .com pump is a generic cheap pump that has had its plastic body removed, but they also gave it some kind of shrink-wrap (it seems). That's to protect your fingers, I suspect. That pump works fine, and I have a similar one, also. It can bite you, it can get hot, and it can be awkward to hold, sometimes. The original plastic body served to guard againt those things.

Bottom line: when you need it, any pump is better than none. The $10 disassembled ones are fine, and when it dies, it's easy and cheap to replace.
Not sure where you got your information. Here are the two Slime pumps that .com carries.
http://www.klr650.com/aircompressorKit.htm
http://www.klr650.com/aircompressor.htm
I had questions about the Smart Spair Air Pump "Does it have a pressure gauge? What are the measurements?" and this is their answer. "The Smart Spare unfortunately does not come with a pressure gauge. The dimensions are about 4" x 5" x 2 1/2" " I just sent and email to get the measurements of the other pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Smart Spare compressor. I got it from Autozone for something like $13 or $14. It works pretty good.

The fact that it doesn't have a gauge isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I picked up a pump at Walgreens or Longs. 250psi I think, it a variant of the same model sold at Wally world and other discount places. Just a basic little single piston design with a guage, $15.00 or so. I tried taking the housing off, but it really doesn't save that much room on this one and leaves the guts overly exposed, and the little sucker does heat up when in use. So I put the case back on. I haven't used it for the bike yet, as I still need to wire in an outlet. If I'm going on a trip it will be in the luggage somewhere. I also carry a small Mountain Bike handpump in my tank bag.

I did use the 12V pump while moving cross country to keep one of my jeep tires with a slow leak inflated, worked great and really nice to have. You only need 45 to 60 psi to seat the bead most of the time, and on a tube tire it's often less than 50. I've done it with a hand pump too.

TW

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for fixing me, tomatocity. I had another site's pump in mind, so I was wrong. One of the online vendors has the disassembled pump wrapped with white shrink tube or tape to cover the moving parts. I had a laugh at what they were asking for it, but obviously don't remember correctly who that was.

I carry a pencil-style pressure guage and a digital one, so the Slime pump without a guage isn't a problem for me. I find it easy to pump up the tire, disconnect the pump, and let the pressure down with the guage until it's where I want it. Monitoring a pump's built-in guage may be more convenient for some, but not for me.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SgtMarty said:
Thanks for fixing me, tomatocity. I had another site's pump in mind, so I was wrong. One of the online vendors has the disassembled pump wrapped with white shrink tube or tape to cover the moving parts. I had a laugh at what they were asking for it, but obviously don't remember correctly who that was.

I carry a pencil-style pressure guage and a digital one, so the Slime pump without a guage isn't a problem for me. I find it easy to pump up the tire, disconnect the pump, and let the pressure down with the guage until it's where I want it. Monitoring a pump's built-in guage may be more convenient for some, but not for me.
Yesterday I found (but did not buy) a tire pressure gauge (larger) that would lock onto the tube inlet and it had a another connection (inlet) at the gauge plus it has a pressure release. This might work. I need to get back to that out of the way shop and buy that gauge. I will let you know if it is worth its price. The $10 savings of the pump would go towards the new gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a little Campbell Hausfeld at wallyworld for $10 and it looks like th same guts as the one in the pic. I've sued it a couple of times after lowering my pressure for off road duties and it's worked great.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Naegling said:
I got a little Campbell Hausfeld at wallyworld for $10 and it looks like th same guts as the one in the pic. I've sued it a couple of times after lowering my pressure for off road duties and it's worked great.
I have heard of this pump though I have never seen one. Went to wally online and they don't list a campbell hausfeld for $10.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts