Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and thanks for this forum and all the help that is here.

I got a 2008 KLR 650 about a month ago and I discovered this morning that the rear tire was rubbing on the Right Hand Side on the Swingarm.
I think that the tire is oversized and it is causing the problem, but I'm not positive. The tire that came with the bike is a 140/80-17, I been reading that people use 130/80-17, so my questions is, Should I replace the tire with something smaller? I wouldn't like that option as the tire was new when I got the bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can't imagine that the 10 mm oversized tire is the source of your problem, but I suppose it's possible.

I'd take a careful look elsewhere for the cause of the rubbing. Tire defect (bubble)? Wheel out of round? Wheel mounting? Suspension issues?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Dave Pelletier would just remove the black plastic 'over the top' chain 'mud guard' and leave it off forever!

I, on the other hand would probably 'temporarily' remove the black plastic 'over the top' chain mud guard and wear out the existing tire. Then re-install the mud guard after installing the appropriately sized tire, 3000-7000 miles from now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
I checked and re-checked everything.
The tire is in really good shape (almost new), the rubbing is all around the tire, I tried to move the wheel back, but the chain is in way too good shape, so there is not that much space for tensioning.
To make sure the tire was still rubbing after I move things around, I put chalk all around the tire and it tire was clean after riding for 5 min.
I'm pretty sure is not a suspension issue as it is rubbing on the swingarm.
Any more ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
About the only place that an oversized tire can 'rub' and still operate normally is on the LH side, on the black plastic chain mud guard.

Usually just the Left Hand tips of the side knobs wearing a groove in the black plastic mud guard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As sure as I can be. The tensors marks are the same. I know they can differ in each side, but I have no tool to check it.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
As sure as I can be. The tensors marks are the same. I know they can differ in each side, but I have no tool to check it.
push up on the bottom of the chain to remove all slack and sight down the top of the chain to see/confirm it's straight - use a straight edge if necessary.

It's common for some minor rubbing on these bikes; usually on the plastic guard (and yes, I toss those!) or the muffler......typically it's not an issue and, as Patroy said, it resolves itself eventually.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The stock 130mm width is a tight squeeze and the 140 is close to 1/4" wider on each side. I have had knobbies rub on the muffler on the right and use a saw to cut the edges of the knobs for clearance. Depending on the type of tire you have, that could work for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are considering trimming the tire knobs I suggest vice grips holding a razor and some gasoline as lubricant.
That said, my riding experience suggests that the front tire is more likely to need more rubber than the rear, and that going to an oversized rear tire only exacerbates the likelihood of front-end wash out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts