Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using Dunlop TR91 140/80/17? Just wondering if the extra 10mm is enough to cause rubbing?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Haven't tried that size, but . . . if I wanted to, I'd chance it! One can always shim the exhaust outboard with a washer or two, if interference exists.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is more clearance on the exhaust side, not much but a little, its the chain guard that
looks closer. I'm told that sometimes the different style of tread and tread depths can make a difference as well.
A 140 in one style might be different than another, knobbies vs road style etc.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
If it's an issue, just get rid of the chain guard. It's not like it serves any useful purpose.
Was thinking of the same approach, or of unleashing Mr. MotoTool on the chain guard . . . finally, with slight interference, normal operation and suspension compression will sometimes "hone" the tire to fit . . . trimmed some knobs on a TrakMaster II on my KLR250 that way . . .

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Was thinking of the same approach, or of unleashing Mr. MotoTool on the chain guard . . . finally, with slight interference, normal operation and suspension compression will sometimes "hone" the tire to fit . . . trimmed some knobs on a TrakMaster II on my KLR250 that way . . .
There you go: let the bike do the work!

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
The TR 91 is available in 130/80/17 so why not go with that.

On the 140 tire along with the width you are also increasing the sidewall height or overall circumference. Could be getting close to the swingarm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
140 eith eider wheel would expand sideways instead of balloning the sidewall on a narrow wheel (stock wheel and 140 tire). What is the width of stock wheels ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts