Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new shoes on the 08. Checked the tire sizes to make sure and on the back wheel it has a 130/90-17 on it, whereas the book calls for a 130/80-17. Any advantage or disadvantage to either one? I weigh 250# if that makes any difference. Also where do y'all get your rear tube? I can't seem to find one specific for that size.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The 130 is the width in millimeters which converts to 5.10 inches. I use a 4.50-17 tube in mine.
Regards....just jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
130 = mm in width
80 = 80% of tire width is the sidewall height

so 130mm wide or 5.11"
80% of 130 is 104mm tall or 4.09"

130/90 is 117mm tall or 4.60"

130/80 tire spins 31 more times per mile than the 130/90 meaning it can wear out slightly faster since it turns more revolutions.

The 130/90 will also add a little more cushion to the ride over rough terrain as well.

Confused yet ? :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've been running a 130/90 Shinko 705 on mine since I bought it. I wanted a taller tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe that helped make them last so long. I bought the bike used with these Shinko 705's on it with 3,700 miles on it, the odometer today says 13,950. Not bad for a cheaper tire. I might just stick with that taller size. Thank you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe that helped make them last so long. I bought the bike used with these Shinko 705's on it with 3,700 miles on it, the odometer today says 13,950. Not bad for a cheaper tire. I might just stick with that taller size. Thank you
I've got a set of 705's ready to go on my '09. I'd love to get that kind of mileage out of a set of tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any photos to vissualy compare the 130/80 to the 130/90 ? I join the taller tire club. I would prefer a taller tire. Since this is an off road bike, more rubber between me and terrain is better. Also a taller tire adds to height and clerance from ground. Just would like a visual. I think I am going 90 next time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great. That extra diametre is extra protection fir the wheel, gives clerance to engine block and adds to confort upon ridding on rough terrain. I am all for it

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone have experience using the D606 in 130/90? Those knobbies must be awfully close to the swing arm!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put on my first set of D606s last week. No issues with swing arm clearance.

I didn't expect any clearance issues given how many people seem to ride with the D606 in the back. It was something I was concerned with as well, though.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your link sends me back to this thread. In it there is no mention of what brand is the tire described as D606. Could someone help me with that information ? I appreciate.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put on my first set of D606s last week. No issues with swing arm clearance.

I didn't expect any clearance issues given how many people seem to ride with the D606 in the back. It was something I was concerned with as well, though.
Gracias!

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
What brand is the D606 tire ?
jaimesix,
DUNLOP!
But I am sure that you have figured that out!
The rear is 'GREAT'.
BUT the Front is "TRASH", At speeds over 55mph on the GRAVEL. At Least when MOUNTED WITH the direction ARROWS!!!!

The tractor tread pattern of the FRONT TIRE, scoops the LOOSE Gravel INTO the CENTER LINE of the tire! Talk about 'squirrelly' handling, in gravel!! (at 60+ mph) This TIRE, IS IT.
AT least when mounted in Recommended 'DIRECTION of Rotation', it is!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
jaimesix,
DUNLOP!
But I am sure that you have figured that out!
The rear is 'GREAT'.
BUT the Front is "TRASH", At speeds over 55mph on the GRAVEL. At Least when MOUNTED WITH the direction ARROWS!!!!

The tractor tread pattern of the FRONT TIRE, scoops the LOOSE Gravel INTO the CENTER LINE of the tire! Talk about 'squirrelly' handling, in gravel!! (at 60+ mph) This TIRE, IS IT.
AT least when mounted in Recommended 'DIRECTION of Rotation', it is!!!!!!!!
I thought I'd go with the 606 rear and a tkc80 front. Sound ok?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
mt21 is a nice front with 606 rear

1 - 20 of 21 Posts