Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock front on my 2008 is 90/90-21. Will Kenda K760 trackmaster II size 80/100-21 fit?

Stock rear on my 2008 is 130/80-17. Will Kenda K760 trackmaster II size 130/90-17 fit?

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Stock front on my 2008 is 90/90-21. Will Kenda K760 trackmaster II size 80/100-21 fit?

Stock rear on my 2008 is 130/80-17. Will Kenda K760 trackmaster II size 130/90-17 fit?
YES.
90/90-21 equals, First number of tire size, 90 millimeters. Second number of tire size /90 is 90 percent of first Number! Equals 81 millimeters. -21 is the rim size!
So a 90/90-21 is 90 millimeters wide, 81 millimeters tall and fits a 21 inch rim.

So, 80 mm wide, 80 mm tall, 21 inch rim. Yes it will fit!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Trakmaster IIs effective off-road; surprisingly versatile on pavement, except: Front may wash out during severe lateral movement on hard surfaces. I discovered this characteristic, trying to recover the roadway after an on-coming UPS truck forced me toward the shoulder at 60 mph, as though the truck driver wished to play "chicken" with me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trakmaster IIs effective off-road; surprisingly versatile on pavement, except: Front may wash out during severe lateral movement on hard surfaces. I discovered this characteristic, trying to recover the roadway after an on-coming UPS truck forced me toward the shoulder at 60 mph, as though the truck driver wished to play "chicken" with me.

Thanks.
Hope I don't run into that problem but it's good info to have. I'm looking to put some more aggressive tire on for about 6 weeks next March. There are some good rally's around here in the early spring and it's always muddy in east TN that time of year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
541 Posts
I run big block knobbies, TKC80s in 130/80. Although stock sized, they rubbed on the muffler, which had to be shimmed out. Not much, maybe 2-3 mm in washers. Give that a look when you get your trackmasters installed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Bill10. I think you can go with just about any tire...just as long as they clear the muffler and frame. I have found that a couple of well placed washers, and maybe a longer bolt or two will help any tight fit challenge.
Go with the best calculated fit, but once they are installed, check the clearance! Then make your adjustment(s).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire pressure question

Hi All,
New to the Forum and posting my first question. I have a 2008 KLR and just replaced the stock rear with a TKC80. How can this be? I bought the bike last year with only 1,000 miles on it and have a little over 4,000 miles now. Anyway the manual says 20 psi and at the shop they put 33 psi in the TKC. Sidewall says 35 psi cold. I assume the pressure varies by tire brand so the info in the manual doesn't apply to the TKC? I'm planning on replacing the stock front soon with a TKC80 as well. Any recommendations otherwise?
Thanks! Mike

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Geeesss, hard to imagine that no one has replied to your question.

I'll recommend to always run +2 PSI in front tire verses the rear tire! Why, you may ask?
Because 70-80 percent of your and your bikes total weight can be on the Front tire with proper braking and especially when going down hill.

So I'll recommend 32 front / 30 rear as a Minimum for asphalt usage, for almost any brand / model of KLR tires.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Geeesss, hard to imagine that no one has replied to your question.

I'll recommend to always run +2 PSI in front tire verses the rear tire! Why, you may ask?
Because 70-80 percent of your and your bikes total weight can be on the Front tire with proper braking and especially when going down hill.

So I'll recommend 32 front / 30 rear as a Minimum for asphalt usage, for almost any brand / model of KLR tires.
I agree with Paul unreservedly! Many will say to run higher pressures in the rear but it isn't necessary unless you are carrying a load and the more rear pressure, the smaller the contact patch.

That said, I run 22-24 front and 20-22 rear 'cause I ride mostly offroad and I'm too lazy to air up and down all the time.....if I was riding the slab, I'd definitely go with the 30.

Dave

·
Registered
541 Posts
I didn't see the post.

I run Conti TKC80s. Continental has a Technical Manual that makes inflation recommendations for various motorcycles in bars ... 1.8 front, 2.2 rear, which equates to 26 psi front and 32 psi rear. I found it in ADVRider via a search.

I'd link it, but the site says it's down at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts